User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first got our truck we played with the connectivity and phoneability of the truck. We learned a few things, GMC uses AT&T for internet and phone not sattlelite . More often than not the signal was non exsistant in slightly remote areas compared to our phones which is on Verizon. Verizon was consistantly more reliable. Of course there are remote areas where neither worked. We quickly canceled any data and phone service from the truck. Besides having to keep the truck turned on for service is not good for the battery.

What I'm getting to is that maybe you might want to have more than one phone provider for data use if you want to be connected in most places you go. Between our jet pack and both phones we usually have enough data for the month. But we are not huge data users for the most part (unless we are stuck inside for days) I have given though about adding my old Note 4 at times for more data if necessary. the $20 line fee is cheaper than adding gigs to the exsisting lines.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Just wait until you get to the next campground if you're traveling. It's a cheap option.

Other than that my suggestion (and what I would do if I wanted to spend the $$$$) would be a full-blow, residential type booster; NOT an RV or mobile booster. One with an external antenna I could raise above the RV roof and point. I had one of those mobile boosters once (whatever was before WEBoost) and the phone had to stay in a cradle and I wasn't happy with the performance.

If you camp much than sooner or later you will be in an area with no cellular or WiFi and have to travel to get some to accomplish very necessary things (pay bills, etc.). And then no matter how much you spent it was all for naught. (maybe that's why I haven't put in a booster yet)

oh - and campground WiFi is hardly ever better than a good cell connection.
    @Silverado333 I agree with Larry's post but didn't want to overwhelm in my post #9 above.

WeBoost makes a booster for a 5,000 square foot house. It provides stronger boosting and full-trailer coverage but requires quite a bit more thought, materials, and preparation to install and run it successfully. We have that one too... look for posts by me about it, some recent.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, Don't expect good wifi at any campground. Also there will be many times where you just won't have internet. In those cases we tend to hit up the nearest town with libraries, starbucks, panera as options. Just not going to happen every where you camp.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    GOOD DAY!

We are atg a nice camp site with terrible wifi. I have a Verizon JetPack 8800L which seems to need recharging often - is this normal? Also, even with my Jetpack, or our two AT&T iPhones (w/Hotspots), little to no internet. What can we do or get to improve this. We're near a small town, it doesn't have a Office Depot. No Best Buy - and I dont think we have an option for delivery. Though we do plan to be here for a few more days.

We don't have an unlimited budget, but would gladly spend a $300.00 - $500.00 if we could get much improved service, over the basically no service we have now.

Suggestions??? I'm not likely to drill holes in my ceiling/roof - as I'm not sure how to do that yet - and our trek to Florida from Seattle, well, this isn't a good time to learn. I wouldn't mind an antenna mounted on the ladder, or any options some of you might suggest?

Thanks!
    Steve
    I purchased a LTE wireless router and an external directional antenna that i mounted on a collapsible flag pole. The ATT data only plan was purchased on ebay. If you want more info i will send you the link to my post on this forum if i can find it. I go into detail on everything i did. This was the only way i could get good internet and able to stream data. We connect our phones to the data and use wifi calling. It works really well. In the next year or so, SpaceX should have their internet going from space, hopefully.
    Last edited by Maximus216; 09-04-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my jet pack plugged in all the time. Once my data is throttled it’s pretty much useless anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markhm View Post
    WeBoost by Wilson is the best bet, but, it's online only. I know some people who snake the cable through the emergency exit window to avoid drilling holes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I have a WeBoost for a cell booster and use an Alpha system for my WiFi booster (w/ yagi external antenna). I have those antennas mounted on a PVC (removable) pole mounted on my ladder rack. Instead of drilling holes, I run my cables though the slide gasketing. As you can guess, I don't have the system permanently mounted. With my Verizon Jetpack, I manage to get some type of signal.
    Brad & Debbie
    2023 Reflection 337RLS
    formerly had 2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2020 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
    looking to upgrade to F350!
    Happily "retired" campers!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We opted for: https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Ultim...dle_p_168.html
    It is not the cheapest option by far, but has been impressive. We have an unlimited AT&T SIM and Verizon SIM. The roof-mounted antennae makes a HUGE difference in picking up a better Cell Signal (and wifi). I have the Pepwave AP installed in the rig and it is hard-wired to the Router. With just one LTE-A Signal, I can get as much as 150 MB Down to my laptop (which is connected via WiFi to the AP). The router can be easily configured to prioritize your connections to improve performance. We are FT (travelling) and I currently work remote, so I was able to justify the upfront expense.
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better data with the Verizon 8800 jet pack

As Boyscout said,

The easiest, cheapest and simplest way I have found to improve the 8800 jet pack data performance is the $30 Netgear external antenna. In marginal areas it can greatly improve performance.

Everything else costs much more. You will find limited data in many remote areas. But for us those are the enjoyable areas. We just live with it until we move on.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I purchased a LTE wireless router and an external directional antenna that i mounted on a collapsible flag pole. The ATT data only plan was purchased on ebay. If you want more info i will send you the link to my post on this forum if i can find it. I go into detail on everything i did. This was the only way i could get good internet and able to stream data. We connect our phones to the data and use wifi calling. It works really well. In the next year or so, SpaceX should have their internet going from space, hopefully.
    If you find that - that would be awesome!!!
    Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12