User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid-winter snowbirding

We live in Upper Michigan with long, harsh winters. We are thinking about getting away from here for the last two months of winter in March-April. Do not wish to leave earlier for family reasons...grandkids mostly. It could take 4-5 days of 5th wheel travel to reach Florida. Has anyone traveled from the frozen tundra of the upper Midwest to the Sun Belt in mid-winter? Would this be recommended? If so, any advice other than avoiding traveling in snowy weather?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freezing of plumbing systems can be overcome by winterizing and not using the systems until you get to "unfrozen country." The bigger negative, to me, is the salt on the roads and the resulting corrosion of everything on the bottom half of the RV. This is very hard to remedy. Of course, if you can pick only sunny, dry days to travel, this might not be an issue...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Freezing of plumbing systems can be overcome by winterizing and not using the systems until you get to "unfrozen country." The bigger negative, to me, is the salt on the roads and the resulting corrosion of everything on the bottom half of the RV. This is very hard to remedy. Of course, if you can pick only sunny, dry days to travel, this might not be an issue...

Rob
    Talked to a relative who has been departing mid-winter. They decided to take a weekend each fall to stage their RV at his sister’s home in Missouri, thus avoiding the chance that they would face inclement weather. Agree. Do NOT want to face road salt. Thankfully, the new Ford trucks have aluminum bodies which have been a huge plus up here. As I await my new F-350, my 5 year old F-150 looks like new, which cannot be said for many Dodge and Chevy trucks up this way that are under assault from the road salt. Winters are brutal. Thanks, Rob.

Dick

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    We live in Upper Michigan with long, harsh winters. We are thinking about getting away from here for the last two months of winter in March-April. Do not wish to leave earlier for family reasons...grandkids mostly. It could take 4-5 days of 5th wheel travel to reach Florida. Has anyone traveled from the frozen tundra of the upper Midwest to the Sun Belt in mid-winter? Would this be recommended? If so, any advice other than avoiding traveling in snowy weather?
    The issues are, predicting this years winter harshness mid-winter, (February) but up there its going to be real cold, I'm talking near 0-10 degrees and probably snow covered slick roads. Mid-winter is not the time of the year I would want to be towing our 5th wheel. Freezing Rv water system is a concern you could mitigate like Rob says with RV antifreeze. Keeping it in the system until you reach warm weather. Corrosion is a real problem with the possible splashing of salt or whatever a state uses to treat road surfaces, that slush stuff is going to get everywhere on the RV frame and inside appliances like the water heater and refrig, wiring, brakes, hitch, leveling jacks, on and on.

Now all that aside we are planning to be up in northern Indiana through xmas leaving Dec 28th. I have told my wife I will not tow the rig on snow covered wet roads and harsh temperatures. "Usually" Dec in northern Indiana( we were born and raised in the area) "can be" kind of mild northern winter wise. Really not getting snowy and real, real cold until after the first of the year, but no guarantees. Starting just after Thanksgiving, I will keep an eye on the forecast and if the Dec weather predictions are for a lot of snow and real cold temps, we are leaving early, no if's, and's, or but's. We have already planned the trip out of the area and made reservations at year round campgrounds, but it will take at least 2.5 days of driving to really get out of the cold weather belt. From Kokomo IN headed for Livingston TX, our first stop over will be in Marion IL, second stop over just outside of Little Rock AR. It can still be real cold and snowy until we get south of Dallas depending on what type of winter we will have.

We will have to carry a good supply of RV antifreeze with us for repeated treating, plan our water needs and usage. We have tank heaters but they can pull a lot of power out of the battery or tow vehicle charging system @ 5 amps while traveling, that is if the tank heaters pull off the battery and not the converter, (I don't know). The tanks might be warm but the water lines in between may freeze without antifreeze in the system. That's the end of December, I wouldn't even consider towing the rig in February up in snow cold country.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-02-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    I travel with my camper in winter in the tundra. Salt is a major pita. These trailers have the most rudimentary frame coating and rust quick. The screws holding things in place are not good either. Nothing is galvanized apparently.

Keep the underside clean. Once clean I use a rust converter to hit any surface rust that forms and then hit it with an epoxy paint. Before the season starts I hit everything with crc 400 rust inhibitor. It’s an oily wax type spray, and it hardens up and protects the metal. I hit the frame and especially any hanger straps since they are flimsy and have no coating. Also I recently had a problem with the dump valve handles sticking. I used anti seize compound on the metal pulls and that should do it. I also am sure to hit these with the crc.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a tough call time wise on how the roads will be. You could be looking at snow or ice, and if you're lucky clear roads. We are in southern MI and stop 3 nights to get to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. We also leave before the snow flies. Depending on where in Da UP you are it can make fairly a long haul. If you really want to do this start calling around now for reservations, many parks will be booked solid. IF the border doesn't re open for the winter it might be easier to find sites left behind by many cold Canadians.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what they use on the roads in the midwest, but in New England they don't use rock salt any more, they use magnesium chloride (pretty sure that's what it's called) and they spray it on the roads when they are dry. It stays effective and active to a lower temperature than old fashioned rock salt or salted sand.
    But even if the roads are dry, the vehicle stirs up the dust and it gets everywhere. Into more nooks and crannies than rock salt does.
    Bottom line it is much more corrosive.
    If you get into this kind of road application wash your TV and trailer as soon as practical including underneath.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins