User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long of a travel trailer should I pull with a Tahoe?

I read that for pulling travel trailers length is important. A general guideline I came across suggested that you could pull a trailer approximately twenty feet long as long as your vehicle has a wheelbase of at least 110 inches. If you want to get a longer trailer, it recommended that you have at least four inches of wheelbase for each additional foot of trailer length? I ask because I am currently looking at a 2021 Tahoe (120.9 wheelbase & 8400 lb. towing capacity) to pull either an Imagine XLS 17MKE (21'11") or an 22MLE (26'1"). If I follow this guideline, the Tahoe would be best suited for 22.7' trailer thus the 17MKE would be the choice. Does anyone have experience or thoughts regarding pulling either of these trailers with a Tahoe or similar SUV?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the Tahoe, but 123-131 wheelbase expeditions regularly tow 23-28ft trailers without problem. You will need a good wdh, monitor your speed, and ensure all other tow weight limits are enforced, especially front and rear wheels. You may need to go extra slow on mountain passes. Keeping the weight of the trailer around the same as the tow vehicle helps, along with high quality tires and trailer brakes.

The modern safe limit for high powered large modern Suvs is probably closer to 35ft. Under 30ft, I wouldnt worry too much if you are doing everything else right.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    I read that for pulling travel trailers length is important. A general guideline I came across suggested that you could pull a trailer approximately twenty feet long as long as your vehicle has a wheelbase of at least 110 inches. If you want to get a longer trailer, it recommended that you have at least four inches of wheelbase for each additional foot of trailer length? I ask because I am currently looking at a 2021 Tahoe (120.9 wheelbase & 8400 lb. towing capacity) to pull either an Imagine XLS 17MKE (21'11") or an 22MLE (26'1"). If I follow this guideline, the Tahoe would be best suited for 22.7' trailer thus the 17MKE would be the choice. Does anyone have experience or thoughts regarding pulling either of these trailers with a Tahoe or similar SUV?
    In addition to the length rule you mentioned, I’ve also seen one that takes wheelbase divided by 5. These are suggestions as I’ve not seen any science behind them although there may be. There are many other factors, one of the most important is sway control. It’s important to get a good WDH.

Another important factor is payload. The 22mle will be about 700-750# of tongue weight. This is without carrying fresh water which will increase that weight since the fresh water tank is forward the front axle.

Add these things together to get an idea of how much payload you’ll need:
    Tongue weight
    Occupants weight
    WDH weight
    Gear, tools, food, etc. weight that will go into the SUV
    Full tank of gas is assumed

We pack pretty light and our 22mle at the CAT scale awhile back was ~5600 trailer weight and between 650-700 tongue weight. This included one dealer installed battery, propane tanks about 2/3 full, no water, Andersen WDH (which weighs less than 60# total and has very good sway control). It’s just two of us. I’ve seen others on this forum with heavier weights for their 22mle ~6000+.

Here’s a link to Tahoe/Yukon trailer towing - check out post #35 forward to give you some perspective, person is towing a GD XLS 23bhe.
    https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre....120121/page-4
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with long trailers and short wheel base tow vehicles is that very quickly the "tail will wag the dog". If you've ever experience that you for sure wouldn't like it.

There is some good advice above about general rules of thumb. I'd suggest staying within those limits and being conservative.

My first experience was pulling a 26' trailer with a full size van. I had an anti sway device (they didn't have fancy anti-sway hitches back then) and I wasn't real crazy about the ride. For short, non-interstate trips it worked well enough tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the info. I am thinking that if I decide to go with the 26' 22MLE, I would go with the Hensley Arrow hitch. I see that those are extremely expensive, so I may not do it, but am interested in what folks think about that option.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Blue Ox may have a premium weight distributing hitch too. You might check to see if they're cheaper than the very expensive Hensleys.

I had a standard quality weight distributing hitch and friction sway bar pulling a 31' travel trailer. I didn't care to bet blown over 1/2 lane when a heavy truck blew past me. The premium hitches are much more stable.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Thanks for all of the info. I am thinking that if I decide to go with the 26' 22MLE, I would go with the Hensley Arrow hitch. I see that those are extremely expensive, so I may not do it, but am interested in what folks think about that option.
    I would also look at the Reese Straight line hitch system. I have been using it for 13 years and have never had a sway issue and much less expensive than a Hensley.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada