User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big difference between a 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton towing a few 100 lbs over GVWR is that the 1/2 ton is maxed out on the RAWR while the 3/4 ton more than likely has 1,000+ lbs left before it maxes out the RAWR. The upside to a 3/4 ton is the RAWR and tires. For instance when I had my 12 2500 CTD I was over the 9600 lb GVWR but under the RAWR by 1100 lbs and under the tires by 2280 lbs. That just can't happen in a 1/2 ton.
    Couple that with the fact that everything about a 3/4 ton is heavy duty and a 3/4 ton running over GVWR is much safer than a 1/2 ton running over GVWR. Throw in an exhaust brake and towing with a 3/4 ton diesel is night and day different.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood and I’m not disputing the position you have and those numbers may be correct however being over on any weight is still over. There are many 3/4 ton trucks on the road today over a weight and well over their ratings, yet this remains acceptable within perspective and perception. Due to many of the items you mentioned. However if someone thinks about it with a 1/2 ton we have the “tow police” providing guidance. Some of which are clearly over weight in areas.

With my 30’ TT a 3/4 was barely adequate if you run the numbers based on payload. With my 1/2 ton I was right at the number. RAWR wasn’t a concern.

And I’ll be the first to say a 30’ 8400lb TT on a 1/2 isn’t as much fun as towing can be hence the reason I went to a 22’ 6995 GVWR TT. I still had lots of adventures with it!

Run the numbers, be within, be comfortable with the setup and go have some fun.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldy500 View Post
    Understood and I’m not disputing the position you have and those numbers may be correct however being over on any weight is still over. There are many 3/4 ton trucks on the road today over a weight and well over their ratings, yet this remains acceptable within perspective and perception. Due to many of the items you mentioned. However if someone thinks about it with a 1/2 ton we have the “tow police” providing guidance. Some of which are clearly over weight in areas.

With my 30’ TT a 3/4 was barely adequate if you run the numbers based on payload. With my 1/2 ton I was right at the number. RAWR wasn’t a concern.

And I’ll be the first to say a 30’ 8400lb TT on a 1/2 isn’t as much fun as towing can be hence the reason I went to a 22’ 6995 GVWR TT. I still had lots of adventures with it!

Run the numbers, be within, be comfortable with the setup and go have some fun.

This differentiation is easily explained. Half tons have been and largely remain rated right up to their limits as the ‘mine can tow 13,100 vs your 12,200’ is a serious selling point especially in that class.

The second is that the norm has been to derate 3/4 tons as a tax beating measure. A great real world example was given by a poster above.

A lot of people know this, so they know that half tons are overrated or right at their material limits, and they know 3/4 tons are artificially de-rated. So they turn to more material limits (GAWR, GCWR) as the actual vehicle’s limits in the 3/4 ton class. You can do the same in the 1/2 ton and lower class, but you’ll often find you bump into axle ratings before you even max out other limits.

So, not all limits are equal. And some are just ignorant and unsafe.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbolam View Post
    I'm new to the forum and i'm looking at buying a GD-150 Reflection 260RD, what I would like to know is there anyone towing it with a 1/2 ton PU and what that experience is like? If so which truck and model. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    My best advice: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should' Proceed with max caution. I'm of the opinion that you will get no valid answer unless your question includes specifically and exactly which 1/2 ton you are asking about and what specific tow package / capabilities the TV has and specifically what are the manufacturers towing specifications (in print). thats my .02
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F150 is rated at 1695 lbs payload and 13,200 lbs tow etc. It’s pretty hard to max out on anything before running out of payload (my personal experience with scales).

Agreed, but it doesn’t excuse the use of a derated truck over its limit. There are laws against that. I didn’t buy a 3/4 ton for those reasons. Putting a utility trailer on it would require a CVOR. Thankfully that’s changed this year but still, limits are limits.

Ignorance is bliss. LOL!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't speak to specifics, but my 2012 F-150 with the heavy duty payload package can do 2166 payload. That noted, it still didn't have enough to be able to replace my old Jayco 5th with a then current 5th (even the same Jayco). Hence the Imagine. BUT - newer aluminum Fords with the same package can do it. But you're looking at ordering one, as they are never found on the dealers lots.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real world answer with real world experience, you can do it if: You have a Ford F150 with the HDPP package. No other manufacturer's half ton will in reality do it, the payload isn't there. The HDPP with max tow options will give you a payload upwards of 2200# depending on other options. My truck has a yellow sticker rating of 2461# which I verified by weighing. Yes that is as much or more than many diesel engine 3/4 ton trucks.
    As it is too late to order a '20 MY now and I don't know if the option will be available for the new design 2021 MY you best be looking at other options.
    See my signature below....
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-13-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a point of reference I pull a. 240rl which is similar in weight. The loaded trailer is 9100lbs and my pin weight is 1760lbs.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face 2018 F150 with 2020 Grand Design 260RD

We have a 2018 F150 4x4 10 speed with 3.5 Ecoboost. Short Box as well. We added 3/4 ton springs. Once you add the slider hitch and rail system it added $3500 to the cost. We also upgraded the tires.

Our GD260RD only has 1 slide so its on the lighter side for a 5th wheel.

We do limit our loads and its just me and the wife and a couple dogs so we have felt pretty good about all of it. We have run from Tampa to Atlanta and Key West without any issues. It pulls well and we get 9mpg. I didn't get much better with a trailer 1/2 the size.

We are in FLorida and most roads are very flat so I can't speak to Colorado mountains and if we would need better brakes. Would be cautious. I can say due to the cost, I should have taken the opportunity to upgrade the truck and get the puck system.

We love the set up and the RV is amazing. Lazydays in Tampa won't let you leave if it is unsafe form what we saw and my wife is paranoid so we tried to overdo the capacity.

I am sure some people will tell me it won't work but we love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6502.jpg  

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 2021 260rd with a 2016 silverado 5.3 with no problems. I did install a pair of supersprings but I have done this with all my trucks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast