User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That coach was made for 1/2 tons. It's GVWR is 9995 lbs. Empty it's 7306. You would be hard pressed to add 2689 lbs to the trailer. The pin weight is 1325 and the GVWR of trucks do not account for E rated tires which add 600lbs each or 2400lb to the overall cargo capacity.ets say you have a newer F150 with 3.5l V6, it has a cargo capacity of 3,230lbs. That give you 1,905 to go after trailer is pinned and again it does not account for E rated tires.

I had the same concerns with pulling a 337RLS with my Ram 2500. Did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people. You should have no problem other than your miles per gallon maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out towing our 273mk with my F150. Trailer and hitch weight was within range. First outing and first bump, I almost lost control when the king pin bounced back from the rebound. The back of the truck is way to lite and got a little loose on the lift. I was only found a ping about 35-40mph when it occurred and I had no warning of the depression in the road. About 30 days later I purchased my F250. Tows like a dream.
    Steve and Michelle
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 4WD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pull more..... but can you stop it in an emergency.
    Been there, done that..
    Just my .03

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I faced the same situation that you're working through last fall when we purchased a 150 Series 290BH. I analyzed trucks for 2 months, and I mean 2 months. I was hoping to do it with a 1/2 ton that GD advertises as capable for this series. Your 260RD's UVH (empty) is 930 lbs lighter, yet its payload on the pin is 45lbs over my 290BH. Further, the GVWR for your camper is only 200 lbs lighter than mine. I went to Ford, RAM, Chevy, GMC, Nissan and Toyoto dealers - and searched and spec'd many, many trucks on-online, by year, configuration and axle. The only 1/2 ton truck possibly capable is F-150, 3.5 ecoBoost V6, with tow, and the HD package. These are as rare as hen's teeth, especially used. I located one 500 miles away - but I didn't buy it. I believe this truck can tow it, and carry it, and they do. However, most important is stopping it... on a hill, and keeping it stable in the wind. Accordingly, vehicle weight and axle ratings are a factor. The 5th wheel is substantially more stable than a TT, so this not quite as much of an issue. Nevertheless, if you're looking to tow any distance, and with various hills, and curves, I would not use a 150 series. You maybe "white knuckling" it in the wind, and the down slopes. The ecoBoost is a good power plant, however far from a diesel, and I don't believe as sustainable is a big block v.8 gasser. My brother who's towed for 40 years warned me about running the ecoBoost too hard and long as they can blow up. This was frustrating for me - as I bought the camper on the basis of having a 1/2 ton (much easier running it around town than a 250). ... and my wife took a drive in a F-250, which was a jaw-breaking experience for her, and she said she would never drive it. So now I was in a pickle. .... I have zero brand loyalty, as I analyze capabilities on facts, ratings and performance ... Although not a big 3, and a lower volume vehicle, I bought a Nissan Titan XD. Best thing that I did. It's basically a 5/8ths truck, tows the 5th wheel like a dream, no issues stopping, nor stability; my wife likes driving it, it fits in my garage, and it cost me about $15,000 less than a big 3, 250 series. Candidly, based on my experience, this vehicle should sell considerably more volume. That's my experience and outcome.. maybe it helps!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a GD 2670 MK with no trouble but there is a big difference in weight on the 260RD. My 2670 is 7100 lbs dry and hitch weight of 670. The specs on the 260RD show 9995 lbs and 1325 lbs hitch weight. I have an F 150 with max tow package and it maxes out at 11,000 lbs but only 1155 lbs payload. By the time you get two people and anything else in your truck you have about 800 lbs for hitch weight. I use two sway bars and a weight distribution hitch and it travels fine up to 65 MPH but I usually stay around 60 MPH.

I think you would be tearing up your truck and not be safe trying to pull that much weight with a 1/2 ton.
    JimandMeresa
    2016 Chevy 2500
    2017 Imagine 2670 MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannuck,
    I asked my mechanic about the 3.5L Eco Boost and he said stay away from them. Said something similar to what your brother said.
    JimandMeresa
    2016 Chevy 2500
    2017 Imagine 2670 MK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very eye opening post. Thanks. Sounds like you certainly did your due diligence and research. Best of all your wife is happy being able to use the TV when not hooked up, important to keep the DW happy! It seems to me that you have found a realistic solution that, although it applies to a very small number of RV’ers, is nevertheless a valid solution.

So for those who's “must list” includes 1) a small-er 5th wheel and 2) a TV that can be driven when off the RV with more ease and comfort than the typical 3/4 ton TV, you may be on to something.

I can only speak for myself, however, I rarely (relative to the big 3) see at Campsites the Nissan Titan, of any configuration, being used to tow an RV, and being a “1/2 - 3/4 timer” I stay at ALOT of campsites. My rationale and thought process leaves me with the question; why does it look like there are so few Nissan TV’s out there? All responses welcomed. Btw, I’m glad that you and your DW are happy with your purchasing decision and at the end of the day, that’s all, for you two, that matters. Travel safe!��
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 260RD. I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 with max tow package. I was quite surprised to see how well it pulled the RV. I took it to the scales, just me in the truck, full tank of gas, no cargo in the bed and very minimal cargo in the trailer. I was 10 pounds under the truck GVWR. Long story from there, now I pull with a 3/4 ton diesel and I don’t have much GVWR room with that either but I love towing with diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    My best advice: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should' Proceed with max caution. I'm of the opinion that you will get no valid answer unless your question includes specifically and exactly which 1/2 ton you are asking about and what specific tow package / capabilities the TV has and specifically what are the manufacturers towing specifications (in print). thats my .02
    Absolutly correct, you MUST get into the weeds and understand ALL the numbers associated with capacity, not just the junk in the marketing bochure. I pull a 27' Transcend travel trailer that takes my Toyota Tundra to about 85% of it's capacity. There are about 10 different Tundra models, only one can tow 10,000lbs. To figure that out, I had to get into the weeds and really understand the ratings and how my weight distribution and anti-sway hitch works. TT is somewhat different than a 5th'er but the basics are the same. Understand exactly what you truck can do, per axle, per tire and then understand what adding the trailer load does. Stopping at a CAT scale to verify is a good idea. The hitch, truck, axles, tires are all a system and every part in the system must work correctly. Not doing it right might kill you, your wife or me.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been towing a 260RD for a year and a half with my 2017 Toyota Tundra and it tows great. The only mods I have made are rear Timbrens and load range E tires. The only limiting factor on the truck was stock p rated tires. The Tundras are beefed up stronger than most 1/2 ton trucks. I also run a 7 1/2 foot Boss V snow plow and it carries it better than my previous F250 did. I know that some people will say different but this set up works great for me with no issues at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast