User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a GD260RD with a 1/2 ton Truck

I'm new to the forum and i'm looking at buying a GD-150 Reflection 260RD, what I would like to know is there anyone towing it with a 1/2 ton PU and what that experience is like? If so which truck and model. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbolam View Post
    I'm new to the forum and i'm looking at buying a GD-150 Reflection 260RD, what I would like to know is there anyone towing it with a 1/2 ton PU and what that experience is like? If so which truck and model. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have any experience towing 260RD, but there are several owners here. Until someone comes along, try putting 260RD into the search box in the upper right of page. You can then look at the signatures of others and see what they have.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Tigger1, I will give that a try.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a FB group for the 260RD. There have been several posts about people towing with all size trucks, including 1/2 ton trucks. This is the mobile link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/378068...49&ref=m_notif

Just note, the biggest factor for most 1/2 tons is the payload capacity. We've several members that have weighed their rigs and the pin weight loaded seems to run about 1600-1800 lbs. Add to that any passengers, your hitch weight (my BW hitch weighs about 250lbs), tools you put in your truck, and any other items you'd put in your truck. Add that altogether and compare it to the payload sticker on your trucks driver door frame. Most 1/2 tons won't have enough payload.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbolam View Post
    I'm curious about them too. I'm guessing that finding a half ton with the proper payload capacity might be hard to find. They say to calculate 15 to 20% of the 5ther weight for the pin weight. So at 10,000 lbs that's 1500 to 2000 of weight in the box. Add passengers and cargo, you will be around 2500 of payload.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some 3/4 ton combos with less than 2500 lb payload stickers, like a diesel 4x4 crew cab for instance.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really hoping I could pull it with my Ram 1500 Eco Diesel., but its just a little too heavy. I do pull a heavy TT just barely above the limits with no issue. I've never owned a 5th wheel, so i guess i will wait until i have a larger truck, most likely a 3/4 ton.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to be overweight then towing overweight with a 5th wheel is much better than being at the max with a TT. 5th wheels handle so much better that it's not a tail wagging the dog issue like you get with a big heavy TT behind a 1/2 ton truck. If the rear axle is rated high enough then upgrading to LT tires helps. I'm not advocating towing overweight, just saying that 5er's tow so much easier then IMO the only thing you have to worry about is rear axle weights. If you're under the trucks tow rating and the trucks GVCWR you'll be better off then at the max with a TT.

That being said most Ram 1500's have very low CCC's.

Funny that it's fairly common to see 3/4 tons with big heavy 5th wheels and they have no issues towing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, people do it all the time but the issue is if they are involved in an accident, they will be responsible for all of it if found to be over the limits. Lawyers you know...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen so many this year and those I’ve talked to say it’s the best tow experience they’ve had. Diesel 3/4 tons only have a few hundred pounds of payload than my F150. If they’re doing it, is it wrong for both the 1/2 and 3/4 tons that are in “excess” of their payload.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast