User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading toy hauler

What is the recommended way to load a utv in your momentum?

With the auto level system down? Or jacks up and hitched to the tow vehicle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had a toy hauler we have loaded/unloaded it both ways (connected and disconnected). The deciding factor was access to the ramp and slope. Based upon this sometimes we had to connect and pull out of the campsite to load and others like at home to unload I had to disconnect and raise the front of the camper since my street was sloped. Put too much angle on the ramp and the bottom of our golf cart would catch going in.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekender01 View Post
    When we had a toy hauler we have loaded/unloaded it both ways (connected and disconnected). The deciding factor was access to the ramp and slope. Based upon this sometimes we had to connect and pull out of the campsite to load and others like at home to unload I had to disconnect and raise the front of the camper since my street was sloped. Put too much angle on the ramp and the bottom of our golf cart would catch going in.
    We have done both ways too. We prefer to load the day before we leave to make the travel day easier.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more concerned about if it would hurt the leveling systems if all of the Jack's were down in auto level mode.or if it is recommended to retract all or the hydrolic jacks before unloading and loading

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I load both ways. Hitched all jacks up. Unhitched all jacks grounded (a bit more stable.)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear,

That's what I figured but I thought I would just double check for safety

Thank you!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info! just got my toy hauler and will be loading my X3 for the first time next weekend. Still haven’t decided on how I want to strap it down, I’m hoping it lines up ok with the current d-rings from the factory.
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    Good info! just got my toy hauler and will be loading my X3 for the first time next weekend. Still haven’t decided on how I want to strap it down, I’m hoping it lines up ok with the current d-rings from the factory.
    Hi. We don't have a toy hauler yet but may upgrade to one eventually. During our last trip, a neighbor had one of these he uses for his bike. He says no straps are necessary. It was little hard to believe until we looked into it. It actually attaches to the frame.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of the setup I use to load my Can Am Spyder. The Spyder sits extremely low to the ground and has approx. 4 1/2" of ground clearance. I prefer to alway be hooked up to the truck, which causes the ramp angle to be too steep and the Can Am to bottom out before the wheels even get started up the ramp. My solution was to buy three of the portable step levelers, like you would use for entry steps when the ground is unlevel. One goes under each of the rubber bumpers on the ramp gate and the gate is lifted off the ground by approx. 6 to 61/2". I then use a set of low profile heavy duty plastic ramps for the two front wheels going in first, then a homemade wooden ramp that is the same length of the plastic ramps....3 feet long. The middle ramp (the wooden one) has the 3M grip tape on it and is tied off to the trailer to keep it from kicking out when the rear wheel is on it (rear wheel drive of course). It works perfectly when hitched to the truck, and all three of the rams will stow basically under the Can Am while travelling instead of taking up extra space.

And the nice thing about the step levelers is that they are adjustable in height, as you would expect. So when you put them down on the ground, and the ground isn't level, you simply screw them up high or screw them down lower to compensate for the unlevel ground that they are sitting on. I also use a paint marker stick to mark the location of where the step pads go, so that I don't have to lift the ramp gate and make sure they are exactly under the rubber bumpers. I also marked exactly where the ramps go to make a perfect alignment with the wheels.

As far as tying down the Spyder, I installed some etrack to the floor of the Toy Hauler and this is what I use....on the front wheels/tires only. Once I'm loaded and where the Spyder needs to be, I leave it in neutral, tighten the straps (which will cause the Spyder to move a little to "center" itself in the strapping) and then apply the parking brake. It simply does NOT move around once it's tied down.

Here is a picture of that setup. The strapping, once tightened down is attached to the etrack and is in a sideways "C" shape. At the rear of the tire is a roller that is attached to the etrack, which allows you to ratchet the strap down and basically does not cause the tire to move, except to find the center of the attachment points.....

Last edited by xrated; 09-07-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: More info added...
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how I secure my RZR (both sides)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0851r.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	29332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0850r.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	29333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0849r.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	29334
    Last edited by JCR GD; 09-07-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast