User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    Don't inflate to the tire max on the side wall as they heat up you can 5 to 10 psi and then your tires are over inflated and could blow. They will definitely not be making proper contact with the road.
    Sorry, this is incorrect. Inflate your tires to the pressure that is listed on the label that is usually located on the driver side front corner area of the trailer. If the pressure is the same as the max that is on the tire, that is fine. Tires are meant to be inflated to the max pressure (when cold) and they will go over that pressure when hot. They are designed to handle this. Many tire experts and engineers have weighed in on this issue and given the same advice.

Do not bleed air out of the tires just because they are “over the max” if you have set the pressure correctly when they were cold. By cold, the generally accepted definition is that they have not been driven for the past two hours and have not been sitting in the sun.

Follow this and you should be good to go.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire manufactures create a grid of weights vs. tire pressure. It is good to know your weight (CAT Scale exercise).

Also remember that as you run down the road, as the sunshine is on your tires, the PSI changes. All of the published standards are for 70F.

You hear about all these blowouts online... they probably followed the sticker and ran them at 80PSI when they measured them at 90F in the morning. Then they drove in Texas in the afternoon and wonder why they had a blowout! The tires are not designed for 100+PSI and that is what you would get with that scenario.

I run my tires at 70PSI (tire says max 80PSI) at 70F, or temperature compensated PSI for my trip. If it is going to be much warmer in the afternoon, I may adjust them if the highways are HOT. Be sure to always check pressures in the shade so you get a consistent reading. Get a TPMS so you really know what is going on with your tires.

Watch out if a tire pair on one side is different from the other. That may be a flag of a slow leak.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen or read any authoritative publication that talks about "temperature compensated PSI". The only thing I read that is consistent and agrees with what most RV's state is:
    1) check and fill tires while they are cold / ambient temp. (not recently been rolling) and 2) fill to the max recommended PSI indicated on the yellow sticker located on the drivers side of your
    RV and hopefully that matches the same max recommendation on the side of the tire (the info on the yellow sticker should take precedence)
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    Tire manufactures create a grid of weights vs. tire pressure. It is good to know your weight (CAT Scale exercise).

Also remember that as you run down the road, as the sunshine is on your tires, the PSI changes. All of the published standards are for 70F.

You hear about all these blowouts online... they probably followed the sticker and ran them at 80PSI when they measured them at 90F in the morning. Then they drove in Texas in the afternoon and wonder why they had a blowout! The tires are not designed for 100+PSI and that is what you would get with that scenario.

I run my tires at 70PSI (tire says max 80PSI) at 70F, or temperature compensated PSI for my trip. If it is going to be much warmer in the afternoon, I may adjust them if the highways are HOT. Be sure to always check pressures in the shade so you get a consistent reading. Get a TPMS so you really know what is going on with your tires.

Watch out if a tire pair on one side is different from the other. That may be a flag of a slow leak.
    I have to ask, did you read the previous post? “ Good read on Max Inflation: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...ax%20Inflation”

Sounds pretty clear to me, written by a tire engineer. Run them up, let them go.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Sorry, this is incorrect. Inflate your tires to the pressure that is listed on the label that is usually located on the driver side front corner area of the trailer. If the pressure is the same as the max that is on the tire, that is fine. Tires are meant to be inflated to the max pressure (when cold) and they will go over that pressure when hot. They are designed to handle this. Many tire experts and engineers have weighed in on this issue and given the same advice.

Do not bleed air out of the tires just because they are “over the max” if you have set the pressure correctly when they were cold. By cold, the generally accepted definition is that they have not been driven for the past two hours and have not been sitting in the sun.

Follow this and you should be good to go.
    I stand by my statement and so does every tire manufacture. I suggest you reread my post. Your tires have a MAX tire pressure on the sidewall and the RECOMENDED pressure on the TV, TT or any vehicle is 99% different. My Westlakes say 85 on the sidewall and I would never inflate them to 85psi you will blow them apart. My TT says 65psi and that is what I inflate them too. I taught automotive for 30 years if you would like information on tires I have tons including PowerPoint.

[url=https://app.photobucket.com/u/Wasaga06/p/53071f64-9a64-4e31-881e-fa9b00a512be.img]
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pump them up to 60PSI, as recommend by manufacture and online trailer sites.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Fill when COLD to max stated on the sidewall and recheck before leaving each CG.
    Tires! What a major pain! I inflated our OEM Westlake tires on our Solitude 379FL before a trip home to the MAX COLD 80 Psi! Sure! That was a $1750 insurance claim to repair the blow-out damage (think shrapnel) to our rig. When it blew, the other tires were very close to 100 PSI !!!

Before that episode on our previous brand X 5er, I had tried to run our tires a little under max. Two (count 'em, two) blowouts, each on consecutive trips.

My Tire guy found Carlyle 16 inch 15-ply load range "G" tires rated 4400 Lbs @ 110 Psi. Along with this we bought an EEZ-Tire monitoring kit for all 10 tires. What we found was that our trailer tires gain 25-30 Psi when travelling! My rims are rated only 110 Psi. Therefore I have to start out about 88 Psi knowing that an hour later all four will be 110+ Lbs...

I would love to believe that setting our tires to the max cold Psi would definitely be easier for me, but bad experience tells me that that doesn't work so well for us, and neither does running them underinflated. 15 Load range "G" tires really helped with the "fear of blowing" factor, and they were cheaper than the tires for my Taurus.

Also, the tires on the sun-side usually run 10-15 Psi higher than the shade side... Just our experiences....
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t doubt your personal experience however I’ve never experienced a 20lb increase in psi from cold to after driving/hot nor met anyone at a campsite that had that experience. I believe that RV tire pressure can be a complicated topic. Tires can blow out for MANY reasons and only ONE of which is related to pressure. The sidewall on my RV tires say max pressure when cold is 65psi so I go with that and at almost every stop I check the pressure in all the tires (takes less than 4 minutes) and even after going 60-65 on major highways for at least one hour, have never seen an increase of more than 8 lbs. Just my experience, run your tires at whatever PSI you choose. Travel safe. ��
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I wouldn’t doubt your personal experience however I’ve never experienced a 20lb increase in psi from cold to after driving/hot nor met anyone at a campsite that had that experience.
    I'm not at your campsite but my tire pressures routinely go up 15-20psi while traveling. I've seen a 25psi increase a few times on hotter days. I tow at 60mph.

BTW, these are all with G rated 110psi tires. Goodyear G614, Sailun S637 and Westlake.
    Last edited by bertschb; 09-22-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast