User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion 3500 generator and air conditioner?

I'm thinking about purchasing the Champion Wireless Start 3500. I'm wondering if anyone uses a Champion 3500 and if it will run an air conditioner (15K BTU)? Is it quiet? My other option is a couple of Honda 2200s, but I'd prefer to not have to pack two units. Thanks!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Champion 3100 and have no problem running my a/c. As for quiet, you can hear it, but I don’t notice the noise until it shuts off. I’m all around happy with mine.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3400 and it easily runs one of the two ac is my 3000qb. It is a tad loud ere than the honda but....I dont think anyone is going to go nuts over it.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same question a few weeks ago:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ropane-15K-A-C

Short answer: No problem
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a Champion 3400 Watt dual-fuel. I plan on running exclusively on propane, as I'd rather not have to deal with transporting and storing gas. My question is would it be ok if I never use any gas in the unit (keep it pristine)? It's fresh out of the box, so haven't done any break-in yet. Can I just do the break-in on propane only, and never switch it to gas, or should I also run it on gas at least for the break-in period?

Also, any creative methods for loading it in the back of the truck? It's a bit heavy for wife and I. ATV loading ramps? Wood plank? We plan on keeping it around the house for minor power outages, and transporting it for dry camping.

Any advice on the above is appreciated!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info from everyone thank you.

Last question are two smaller generators still quieter than one larger one?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msgsteele View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing the Champion Wireless Start 3500. I'm wondering if anyone uses a Champion 3500 and if it will run an air conditioner (15K BTU)? Is it quiet? My other option is a couple of Honda 2200s, but I'd prefer to not have to pack two units. Thanks!

Please don’t! The 3500 is an open frame generator. It is loud, and everybody in shouting distance will hate you if you try to use it. Get the 3400 which is an inverter generator.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Please don’t! The 3500 is an open frame generator. It is loud, and everybody in shouting distance will hate you if you try to use it. Get the 3400 which is an inverter generator.
    I suspect he may be mentioning the 3500 watt enclosed Champion inverter generator sold at Camping World and Cabelas. That generator is identical to the generally available 3400 watt model except for the decals showing 3400 and 3500 watt.

This was a marketing thing to make the Camping World and Cabelas offerings to appear different. I have one of each and can tell no difference. The 3400 labeled units are usually less expensive.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection Travel Trailer 297RSTS - Second Owner 2020
    1998 Northwood Manufacturing Nash Travel Trailer 24A - Original Owner
    2004.5 Chevrolet Ext Cab Reg. Bed 4WD SilveradoHD Duramax (LLY) -Original Owner

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msgsteele View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing the Champion Wireless Start 3500. I'm wondering if anyone uses a Champion 3500 and if it will run an air conditioner (15K BTU)? Is it quiet? ......
    As mentioned above, I have both the 3500 watt enclosed inverter Champion and the 3400 watt twin. Either can start and run the main 15K AC. There have been a few occasions where the installed Surge Guard EMS tripped on startup. I usually turn the economy switch to off on the first cycle then turn it back on a few minutes later and leave it there. The ac draws about 14 amps ac on a hot day but goes much higher on startup.

Both generators hooked together with the Champion parallel kit will run both ac units at the same time. The kit is wired with a 30 amp RV plug.

As far as noise, you will notice the fan noise inside much more than the generator! Point the exhaustive side away from the coach.
    Last edited by BruceH; 02-10-2021 at 02:43 AM.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection Travel Trailer 297RSTS - Second Owner 2020
    1998 Northwood Manufacturing Nash Travel Trailer 24A - Original Owner
    2004.5 Chevrolet Ext Cab Reg. Bed 4WD SilveradoHD Duramax (LLY) -Original Owner

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
    I suspect he may be mentioning the 3500 watt enclosed Champion inverter generator sold at Camping World and Cabelas. That generator is identical to the generally available 3400 watt model except for the decals showing 3400 and 3500 watt.

This was a marketing thing to make the Camping World and Cabelas offerings to appear different. I have one of each and can tell no difference. The 3400 labeled units are usually less expensive.
    That’s different. In more ways than one! I was using Champion’s site and didn’t think about them rebadging.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast