Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three A/C units

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three A/C units

Are 3 A/C units needed on a Solitude 310GK? I travel to the south and it gets real hot there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Are 3 A/C units needed on a Solitude 310GK? I travel to the south and it gets real hot there.
    It depends on many factors. What temperature do you want inside? What is the outside temp? Humidity? Do you have any shade? Slide toppers? Dual pane windows? Dark full body paint?

I have a 2020 310GK with dark full body paint (Platinum color scheme), one slide topper over the bedroom slide, RVAirflow blocks in both A/C units, no shade, no dual pane windows. It's 97 outside right now. Bedroom A/C is on full time. Living room A/C unit is cycling on and off every 15 minutes or so. It's 76 inside. The RVAirflow device blows a lot of cold air towards our seats so we get cold if we set the thermostat below 76. In my experience with our RV, we don't need a third A/C until outside temps hit 105. That was before I added the RVAirflow devices and before I'll have all three slide toppers installed. I might be good for closer to 110 now. I'll find out later this month when we return to Palm Springs.

BTW, as of today, you can't get three A/C units on the Solitude 310GK from the factory.
    Last edited by bertschb; 09-03-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you're the same person asking this question on another forum, but I'll answer again, anyway. To echo Brian @bertschb above, the two 15K Coleman Mach units on our rig do very well. We started out in Augusta, GA, this summer and have spent the last couple of months on the Chesapeake in far northeastern Maryland. In Augusta, the upper 90s with 70% humidity is not uncommon. At Aberdeen Proving Ground, we've had mid-90s and up to 85% humidity (when NOT raining!). We have slide toppers on all three slides and dual pane windows. During the day, the bedroom AC cycles about 50% on/50% off with a little more run time from 2 - 5 PM, while the living room AC cycles for a while every 15 minutes or so. At night, we turn off the bedroom AC and the living room AC cycles every 30 - 60 minutes depending on what the low is that night. Like Brian and Kellie, we also keep the thermostat(s) on 76 (I'd like it lower sometimes, but happy wife, happy life). If the curb side of the rig is facing south, I deploy the awnings while we're home to shade that side of the RV (always awnings in when we're gone). Personally, I think three ACs on a rig as small as the 310 would be overkill - especially with slide toppers and dual pane windows.

Finally, a third AC is not a factory option at the moment. Someone saw it there briefly a few weeks ago and a position for one appears on some GD drawings, but there are currently supply chain shortages and ACs are one of them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If the curb side of the rig is facing south, I deploy the awnings while we're home to shade that side of the RV
    I forgot to mention the awnings! Having the awnings deployed makes a big difference.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. Now one more question. What is the difference between a 310GK and a 310 GK-R?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference between a 310GK and a 310 GK-R?
    The "-R" on all Grand Design units signifies a Residential refrigerator. Same fridge you'll find in your house. Runs on A/C power only (no propane).
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The "-R" on all Grand Design units signifies a Residential refrigerator. Same fridge you'll find in your house. Runs on A/C power only (no propane).
    Gotcha Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it was converted after the fact like mine. I think I'm going to get new decals made that say...375RES XR for "experimental residential" lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the R version would be for me. I had a Motor Home with a residential fridge and never had any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 Coleman Mach's we have on our 377MBS do a good job keeping our camper cool. We have the middle bedroom with above loft and the only spot that's a little warm is the mid bedroom. We use a fan and it seem's to be OK. Biggest problem is the grandsons coming in and out and not shutting the door properly. We mostly camp in Louisiana..Texas and Mississippi so it stays hot for months down here. I think the 310 model will be OK.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast