User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MikeO13

So much for quality!!

This is my first post. I purchased a Solitude 379 Fl about 11 months ago and I thought it was time to post. We chose Grand Design because of the reported quality of the product and we loved the layout. It's to bad this hasnt worked out for us. It seems like we are going down every component in the unit that is failing or requiring service. I'm not sure of other people's experience but here is a list of issues we have had

1. Furnace died 1 week after purchase. Had to replace a board.
    2. Couch stitching let go a couple weeks after purchase. Took months to get replacement.
    3. Found table scratched upon delivery. Took months and multiple calls to replace.
    4. Ceiling fan died within a month. Required a new unit. Again several months to replace.
    5. Front AC unit. Third time using it. Doesn't cool the camper at all.
    6. Fridge no longer cooling or freezer working. Defrosted. Reset. No go. Waiting for dealer call back for service
    7. Hot water heater has continuous clicking when on propane. Flames fine but clicks. Looks like the flame tube has soot in it or the lining is disintegrating.
    8. Rear DVD player not working.
    9. Front couches use what appear to be thick plastic to support the mattress . Broke most of them on both couches within a couple of months with a child under 100 pounds. I had to remove them and replace with something that would offer support. I can't imagine this supporting an adult.
    10. Several door moldings bulging. No nails placed in the middle just the top and bottom.
    11. Awning looks like it might last one more season for a total of 2. It is fading and you can see light thru several spots that look like they are separating. We don't leave it up. Put in at night and down when we are outside.
    12. And before I forget we don't have keys for several of the outside compartments. We were given only one set and other than the entry we had no outside keys.

So appliance wise, we have the stove ( which we have used twice) and the microwave that haven't had an issue. I really hate to see how this fairs over the long term. An 80k plus 5th wheel and I had better quality on an ultra lite model.

So for anyone considering the Grand Design, I would really think hard before making the choice. I personally can't recommend either the unit quality or the warranty response.

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! We got our 379 in November, 2014. Pulled him over 15,000 miles. We haven't had the problems you have. I hope you get it resolved. Have you talked to Customer Service
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And keep in mind almost all of those are supplier provided, not GD.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

MikeO13
    Using that logic every piece of the unit is vendor supplied. However, stating that the manufacturer isn't to blame for faulty equipment or workmanship in there vehicles because they are supplied by vendors is pretty much a ridiculous statement. That's like saying that 200k car that you just bought had an engine fail but it's not the manufacturers issue its the engine vendor.

I'm sorry to say that doesn't wash.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well OK then. Sorry for your troubles!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeO13 View Post
    This is my first post. I purchased a Solitude 379 Fl about 11 months ago and I thought it was time to post. We chose Grand Design because of the reported quality of the product and we loved the layout. It's to bad this hasnt worked out for us. It seems like we are going down every component in the unit that is failing or requiring service. I'm not sure of other people's experience but here is a list of issues we have had

1. Furnace died 1 week after purchase. Had to replace a board.
    2. Couch stitching let go a couple weeks after purchase. Took months to get replacement.
    3. Found table scratched upon delivery. Took months and multiple calls to replace.
    4. Ceiling fan died within a month. Required a new unit. Again several months to replace.
    5. Front AC unit. Third time using it. Doesn't cool the camper at all.
    6. Fridge no longer cooling or freezer working. Defrosted. Reset. No go. Waiting for dealer call back for service
    7. Hot water heater has continuous clicking when on propane. Flames fine but clicks. Looks like the flame tube has soot in it or the lining is disintegrating.
    8. Rear DVD player not working.
    9. Front couches use what appear to be thick plastic to support the mattress . Broke most of them on both couches within a couple of months with a child under 100 pounds. I had to remove them and replace with something that would offer support. I can't imagine this supporting an adult.
    10. Several door moldings bulging. No nails placed in the middle just the top and bottom.
    11. Awning looks like it might last one more season for a total of 2. It is fading and you can see light thru several spots that look like they are separating. We don't leave it up. Put in at night and down when we are outside.
    12. And before I forget we don't have keys for several of the outside compartments. We were given only one set and other than the entry we had no outside keys.

So appliance wise, we have the stove ( which we have used twice) and the microwave that haven't had an issue. I really hate to see how this fairs over the long term. An 80k plus 5th wheel and I had better quality on an ultra lite model.

So for anyone considering the Grand Design, I would really think hard before making the choice. I personally can't recommend either the unit quality or the warranty response.

Michael
    Sorry you've had so many problems.

The point made about components is that virtually every other brand uses the same suppliers, so some things are luck of the draw and not GD's "fault". What IS their fault is how they deal with problems. So with that said, have you been dealing directly with GD, or strictly through your dealer?

We've been in our rig full time for two years this month and have pulled it over 17,000 miles. We've had a couple of issues, got immediate response from GD, and have never been back to our selling dealer. In fact only one issue required dealer involvement and they helped push to get the work done faster. They've shipped parts to us direct, including replacing one of our recliners within 2 weeks of my reporting the issue.

It's always disappointing to spend hard earned money on something and not have it work right. However, in almost all of the problems I've read about over the past 2 years, Grand Design seems to typically go above and beyond to make things right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

MikeO13
    I have messages into GD now and I'm waiting for a response. I'm sorry about the vendor response but I've gotten to my frustration point. The dealer service department has been nothing but a problem.

We haven't been towing the vehicle we have it on a seasonal site right now so I can't really blame any of these issues on the road. This week the AC , fridge, and hot water heater went at once. Lol not a great week for my summer vacation.

I will see how GD handles it and if I'm not waiting months again I'll amend my review.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I suspected. Most major problems seem to be with Dealers dragging their feet, not following through, etc. I don't work for GD ( I don't work - I'm retired[emoji6]), but as a consumer am quick to criticize, but also happy to gives kudos where they're earned. I hope you'll be able to report that their customer service folks were able to resolve your issues as that has been the case for most of us.

Good luck and we'll look for an update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sorry to hear about your issues. I'd be upset if I had all these failures too. It sounds to me like you got the lemon of all lemons. Many people here (myself included) have had zero issues with their Grand Design 5th wheels. I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction and quickly!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, sorry about your problems and we realize you're frustrated but there's a lot of help a knowledge on this forum so lets tackle this from a different direction.

Concerning your AC, fridge and water heater failing at the same time. To me this points to an electrical issue, I doubt 3 different components will say "calf rope" all at once. Did you check the breakers not only in the coach and at the electrical post as well? What's the voltage coming into the rig and how many amps are you drawing? Was there a thunderstorm in the area with lighting strikes that could have spiked the voltage. Are you using a surge protector? I'm not tying to be demeaning with these question but need more information to help with solutions.

As far as the front air conditioner not cooling the coach. How hot is it where you are? Are you dumping the cold air when sitting in the front living area or sending through the duct work? We have found dumping provides more localized cooling but can be louder. We also clean our return air filter on a regular basis. When it's hot we always have an electric fan running to move more air, we have found this makes a huge difference in comfort.

I'm sure the old farts on here (I'm in that club) can solve some of your issues providing you with a more enjoyable camping experience while the folks at Grand Design will provide you the support you need for the long haul.

We really are here to help,

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast