User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    ...I have yet to find a truly unlimited data plan. I have unlimited and more, can't find the exact nomenclature for that plan but all the plans have this similar statement: “AT&T UNLIMITED ELITESM. DATA RESTRICTIONS: After xx GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, for the remainder of the cycle AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds on that line if the network is busy.”...
    Just to be clear - the truly unlimited and unthrottled data plan I have is data only. It's not a "cell phone" plan. I think that's the difference. I've never heard of a cell phone plan that actually had unlimited/unthrottled data.

I read recently where the cell phone companies were sued for calling their plans "unlimited" when they really aren't. They reached some kind of an agreement where they can still use the term "unlimited" but have to mention the fine print you shared above. Once you hit 10-20GB of data, they can throttle you down to unusable speeds. You technically still have data, it's just so slow you can't really do anything with it.

I haven't done a lot research but I get the impression (just a guess on my part) that these truly unlimited data-only cell plans are sold to larger businesses. They aren't available to the public directly from Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile. These businesses have hundreds or maybe thousands of lines. Resellers come in and make these lines available to end users like me. Some people buy them from eBay. I bought mine through MobileMustHave.com who actually resells from a company called EZ Mobile Data. My data only SIM card is for AT&T only. MobileMustHave says they partner with more reliable companies because some of the plans you see on eBay for half the price can be dropped without notice. Maybe they just say that to get you to buy their more expensive plan. I dunno. I just know my plan works great!

Having said all of this, when we get back to our lot in Palm Springs later this month, I will connect back up to my Spectrum cable since it's $45/month rather than the $120 for my cellular plan. It's also faster. I will get another cellular data only SIM for next summer when we're on the road again. I may try an eBay plan just for kicks.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstmatt View Post
    D2reid,

You can setup a wireless network for very little money inside your RV and not have to pay anyone when you use it. It will be a private network for just your RV. This can be beneficial for casting movies or music or running your own security camera or systems. Depending on your goals you could add a Cell Router or WiFi router to add additional capabilities. It is all about the Benjamin’s ��. I can do anything someone can afford. My write up is to slow the constant ask for the mostly unattainable fantasy of the perfect world I see so often from new campers that did not think through the technical requirements. Once people find they are spending hundreds per day to camp this will quite down.
    I use a CradlePoint Cell router that also provides private WiFi. If one is technical enough you can spoof your way into park WiFi or private per device WiFi and transmit it.
    In the end all we want to do is camp, enjoy the outdoors and sip some wine with the people we meet along the way.

Matt
    Matt

Can I connect the cell phone to the Cradlepoint and transmit wifi from it without the cell phone knowing?

The T Mobile cell plan has unlimited tethered internet.

Can I connect the cell phone directly to the TV's HDMI port to make whatever is on the cell phone easier to view (like Netflix)?

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question Older TV, no way to plug it into my TV without a device, the first thing the device wants to do is to log into our network.

Unless you have an old tube type TV you probably have an HDMI port and with this adapter, you can hook your iPhone up to your TV via HDMI. Anything you can play on your phone will show up on the TV. My plan is unlimited on the phone with a 600KB hotspot. This Device doesn't log into your network

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...9271760&sr=8-3

Question. https://nomadinternet.com First question on the main page: “Unsure of which plan is best at your address?”

This tells me it is heavily location dependent. Great is you are sitting in one place, something that we never do.

How many plans does a Cell Company have and are then "Location Dependent". They are TMobile, AT&T with different hardware for each plan. Do your phones work in different locations? If they do this will also.

Question On their main page I found this: “Unlimited data*, messages, and minutes all on Verizon’s 4G LTE Network. “ Why not just go with Verizon.

I would love to but show me a plan that Version has that no hard limits and I can use 400 to 600 gigs a month on for 40.00 a month (25 if on group plan) I would sign up today.

Last edited by CWSWine; 09-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or biker,

Yes but once agin the unlimited is good to a point then they will limit your speed and is dependent on location. But yes you can do WiFi to WiFi on Cradlepoint or Sierra cell routers. Most of the places we travel to have little to no cell capability.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'll continue to use this system while on the road until Starlink is available - hopefully in a year or two. That system will provide low latency high speed service from a constellation of low earth satellites. Totally different system than what is currently available from Hughes.
    I think you may be surprised how fast Starlink becomes available and (somewhat) fully functional. In just the last day or so, they are reporting 100MB download speeds from the beta testers with low (high 20ms) latency. Additionally, it appears that the laser interconnection is being tested on a limited basis and seems to work. If they continue to launch at a rate of 120-180 satellites/month that constellation is going to provide coverage to North America in a hurry. The one question I have that hasn't been answered yet is will we be able to go mobile with it (not in motion, but move it from place to place). All guesswork on my part, so YMMV...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the Android version Dennis ?
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstmatt View Post
    Or biker,

Yes but once agin the unlimited is good to a point then they will limit your speed and is dependent on location. But yes you can do WiFi to WiFi on Cradlepoint or Sierra cell routers. Most of the places we travel to have little to no cell capability.

If your plan limits your speed at a certain level then you have the wrong plan. Yes, location makes a difference, and if your phone isn't working you probably not going to get the hotspot to work.

Here is what Nomad Internet DOES and I use for my home and traveling. Last March while stuck at home I burn through 800 gigs and still watched TV on two 4K TVs.

Membership Plans

Browse below to find the coverage plan and
    device that best fits you.

• Unlimited 4G LTE
    • No Contract
    • No Data Limit
    • No Credit Check
    • No Throttling
    • 14-Day No Risk

https://nomadinternet.com/pages/plans
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    What is the Android version Dennis ?
    Sorry, I don't enough about the Android phone to answer that. The iPhone uses the lighting/Charging Port to cast to the TV maybe Android has something similar. You might ask around and see if someone using Roku and casting the Android phone to Roku stick and how they set it up.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt

Can I connect the cell phone to the Cradlepoint and transmit wifi from it without the cell phone knowing?

Can I connect the cell phone directly to the TV's HDMI port to make whatever is on the cell phone easier to view (like Netflix)?

Thanks, KEN
    If you have unlimited tethered internet you are golden. All you will need is a Firestick or Roku (my preference) to plug into an HDMI port. Set your phone up as a hot spot and use the Roku to connect to it.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt

Thanks, KEN
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    If you have unlimited tethered internet you are golden. All you will need is a Firestick or Roku (my preference) to plug into an HDMI port. Set your phone up as a hot spot and use the Roku to connect to it.
    We have a Chromecast for connecting to the TV with a hotspot.

Using a hotspot, we are limited. Tethered; we are not. KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast