Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Topper 2970Rl

Has anyone installed Awning toppers on a GD 2970RL?? Have been interested in doing this project but not sure
    if i would be able to?

Dave

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave, Our 2021 2970RL has slide toppers on it. We had them installed by the dealer before we took delivery so it was all done when we got the TT. I too had considered putting them on myself. I'm very handy and have always done my own work on trailers and cars. But my DW overruled me and said we would spend the money and have it done. That was nice! Here in the middle of summer in Florida it would have been a very hot job to do. And then after looking at what had to be done I am VERY GLAD I let the dealer do it.

As you know, the 2970RL has two awnings, one on the slide and one on the main part over the door and forward. On the door side there are some major clearance issues to take into consideration. The main awning (over the door) clears the end of the slide topper but it is VERY close. Probably a quarter inch or less between the awning support and slide topper when the awning is going out. Also, they used two different brackets on each slide. The door side uses what I think is a low profile bracket. The street side slide they used a conventional slide topper bracket. So after looking at all that, especially the slide on the door side I am very glad I didn't tackle the job. Especially when putting holes in the rig. I really doubt I would have taken the awning clearance into consideration.

It cost us $1,300 for both toppers installed. It was money well spent in my opinion and a nice treat for us to have someone else do the work. If you do decide to have someone do it ask them if they have done your model or similar and how they will ensure clearance between the door awning and the end of the slide topper.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the solution that I found that works best for me: about an hour before leaving our current CG I get on the roof with a broom and sweep off (and dry off if wet) the top of the slide and bring it in. For me, this procedure solves or prevents a number of potential issues, is simple, cost is zero, and gives me a little extra exercise. Good Luck with your decision.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCarol View Post
    Has anyone installed Awning toppers on a GD 2970RL?? Have been interested in doing this project but not sure
    if i would be able to?

Dave
    Here is a picture of the intersection of all awnings and the topper on our Imagine 2970RL. The clearance between the end of the topper and the door awning is not much more than 1/4-inch, if even that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2970RL-Awning-Topper.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	29440
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas