Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Deck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Deck

Got up on the roof the other day to due my yearly cleaning. Bad news was walking around the back A/C and just forward of the it I found that the deck under the membrane was soft. Almost fell through. So, went inside and saw that it was leaking on the celling first time I have seen anything like that. So I called around for a complete roof and was glad I was sitting down. RV Roof Repair in GA want 10 K to redue the whole roof. Have called Grand Design about it and they want me to go through my dealer because I think it has been leaking since day one. I have a 2016 303 RLS and been doing the roof every year. The bad part is that there is no lap sealant to leak around the A/C.
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumpster View Post
    Got up on the roof the other day to due my yearly cleaning. Bad news was walking around the back A/C and just forward of the it I found that the deck under the membrane was soft. Almost fell through. So, went inside and saw that it was leaking on the celling first time I have seen anything like that. So I called around for a complete roof and was glad I was sitting down. RV Roof Repair in GA want 10 K to redue the whole roof. Have called Grand Design about it and they want me to go through my dealer because I think it has been leaking since day one. I have a 2016 303 RLS and been doing the roof every year. The bad part is that there is no lap sealant to leak around the A/C.
    If you don't mind my asking who and where was the Dealer in Georgia
    That gave you the 10k price?
    I live in Georgia and like to keep track of high priced repair facilities.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob

The place is called RV Roof Install. They also have a YouTube channel. 2438 Battlefield Pkwy, Fort Oglethorpe, GA, 30742, Georgia
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob

The place is called RV Roof Install. They also have a YouTube channel. 2438 Battlefield Pkwy, Fort Oglethorpe, GA, 30742, Georgia
    Thanks I will remember this when I look for a new roof (hopefully never).
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s normal to not have lap sealant on the AC units. There a foam seal between the AC and the roof. The AC has I believe 4 screws on the inside of the AC unit that pulls the unit towards the roof and seals it off from rain. Most don’t ever check them to see if they are still tight and over time and a leak can develop.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your roof is leaking near the Air Conditioner, you don't need a whole roof replacement, just a repair of the area. The good news is your Insurance company should cover the costs, less your deductible.

Keep us informed about how this plays out.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware Grand Design doesn’t terminate their Cut outs for AC and roof vents correctly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAC05372-326C-4CCA-BCEC-55493253E534.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	31723
    This was mine, instead of cutting an X pattern and folding inside the roof, it was cut in a box formation around the perimeter. Then stapled on the perimeter on top, once the staples rust that are exposed outside the gasket the water seeps between osb and tpo rotting the roof slowly with the AC own condensation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcamping View Post
    Beware Grand Design doesn’t terminate their Cut outs for AC and roof vents correctly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAC05372-326C-4CCA-BCEC-55493253E534.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	31723
    This was mine, instead of cutting an X pattern and folding inside the roof, it was cut in a box formation around the perimeter. Then stapled on the perimeter on top, once the staples rust that are exposed outside the gasket the water seeps between osb and tpo rotting the roof slowly with the AC own condensation.
    I beleive that mine are cut in the X pattern and folded in. I recall noticing this when I did my annual check inside each of the vents as a double check to the roof maintenance.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've visited RV Roof Repair in GA. I don't think you could go wrong using them. The gentleman who owns it is very diligent and I think very trustworthy. But it isn't cheap. Ya kind of get what you pay for these days. I didn't have my roof done - just was in the area, liked what I saw on YouTube and was curious.

If GD said go to your dealer, it may have been leaking since day one, is GD going to cover the repair cost?

And as someone here said, you likely just need one are fixed. While I am not sure you can do that without replacing the entire TPO covering, it might be a less expensive way to go.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update about my roof. I going to go with a sprayed on new roof by RVRoof.com (FlexArmor) in Tenn. not cheap but will have a Lifetime Warranty. Also its a transferable if I ever sell my RV. I never heard back from my dealer or Grand design about being a about if it was a Mfg problem or not. Cant wait till my whole roof rots out waiting to hear from either place, so going to bite the bullet and have it done. Thanks for all the help about this problem. Will still be on the site when I can. Happy Camping and all be safe out there .....
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast