Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water heater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water heater

Have a 2019 grand design Transcend 28 MKS and my GFI breaker keeps shutting off so I get no hot water on electric? What could be problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might be having the same problem on my 2020 xplor 243bh. Both of my last 2 trips the WH has stopped working on electric & I haven’t been able to get it working again. Before this trip I tested it & it worked fine. 1/2 way through this trip same thing happened. Once it happens I can’t get it to switch to gas either. I didn’t think to check GFCI though but I’ll head to storage tomorrow & check it out to see if that’s tripped. Anyone else have other ideas?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your control panel, where you turn on the water heater, pump, etc., you probably have an indicator light that tells you when these things are on. In the same area, you may have an indicator light that says “DSI Fault”. The light indicates that there is an issue (or a perceived issue) with the Direct Spark Igniter, or I think that’s what the initials stand for. If you have that indicator light, is it coming on when you attempt to use the water heater? I had that issue and it turned out to be a bad control board on the outside of the water heater. Even though it was a Direct Spark fault, it affected the electric side of the water heater, too.

I contacted Grand Design, as the water heater has a two-year warranty, and was referred to Dometic. After over an hour on the phone, listening to their endless noise loop (what a way to waste an hour of your life), a quick diagnosis by the person on the phone resulted in them shipping me a new board. I’m glad that I didn’t need it right away, as it took a couple of months to actually arrive.

I don’t believe that your water heater is hooked up through a GFCI circuit.
    Last edited by Richter; 09-07-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Dumb auto-correct...
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I don’t have the DSI light - just lighted switches for gas & electric, which see, to be fine. I’m going to double check to see if it has a fuse (breaker didn’t trip) before calling The dealer I bought it from just a couple months ago. I’m hoping they can help get it fixed faster than a couple months. If I end up getting one shipped, was it easy to install?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epirizarry View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don’t have the DSI light - just lighted switches for gas & electric, which see, to be fine. I’m going to double check to see if it has a fuse (breaker didn’t trip) before calling The dealer I bought it from just a couple months ago. I’m hoping they can help get it fixed faster than a couple months. If I end up getting one shipped, was it easy to install?
    Very easy to put in. If you open the outside cover to the water heater (roughly square, usually painted black, and has an exhaust vent), you should see the board. It’s screwed to the metal panel and mine sits vertical. A couple of screws and unplugging a couple of wires is all there is to it.

Many have favorably mentioned the Dinosaur board as a replacement to the OEM. After reading about it, I decided to order one, as a backup, in case the OEM board failed a second time. There is a lot of history of this happening. The company is based in Lincoln City, Oregon so it is a US made product. It was just over $100, but I decided to give it a try. They shipped it and it arrived within about 2-3 days, before we were set to leave on our next trip.

As I noted above, the Dometic replacement didn’t arrive for weeks, so it’s in the parts box, in case I need it later.

If you are interested in the Dinosaur board, there are several links about it, including contact info for the company.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh