User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reese 16K slider rail mount on my short bed 2007 Ram 2500. It has worked well for many years, but it creaks a lot and is kind of sloppy. On the other hand it's never been a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reese16KSliderSmall.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	29547

For my 2020 Ford F450 long bed, I got a B&W 25K Companion puck mount. I haven't used it yet, but I understand they work pretty well.

Name:	BandW25KPuckHitchSmall.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	29548

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull my Reflection 303RLS using the Reese Goosebox. Really like not having to deal with the receiver in the bed. I have a B&W turnover ball so even the ball can be removed or turned over leaving nothing in the bed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    As said there are quite a few threads on this topic that should provide answers to any questions. We have a Solitude also and have been very happy with The Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It has performed very well over 7500 miles of towing in a year and a half. If you at times need your full bed to load cargo etc. the Anderson is the best way to go as it weighs only 35 pounds and can be removed in within 5-minutes. The other advantage I find as frequent boondockers is the ease the trailer can be connected and disconnected on uneven terrain and at angle.
    Bruce, I'm trying to move to a 5th wheel from TT. I also camp a lot off grid in Utah mountains and have to unhitch/hitch at 30 degree angles or more. Since standard hitches generally require back relatively straight with the tailgate down, and this is not an option for me, do you find you can raise the nose enough to back under the ball and over the truck rail to reach your connection, or do you use another method? I can't find any threads on this.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you really need to define what makes "best" for you. But, that said, there are some clear standouts:

Trailsaver BD5 - Money is no object, weight is no object, just want the most comfortable/best hitch I can put in the bed of my truck for a kingpin.
    Goosebox - Money is no object, I want my truck bed empty for other uses and want suspension.

Beyond that, there are a ton of great choices, the Anderson is very popular, but, IMHO, it's got nothing on a Goosebox other than cost. Something like the BW hitch is also very popular, but again, it's got nothing on a Trailsaver other than cost and weight. It's hard to argue against the Goosebox or Trailsaver if money isn't a concern, those are the "best" of their respective hitch types. Neither are cheap, a Goosebox is ~1600 bucks, a Trailsaver is close to 3000. A BW, also very popular, is about 1200 bucks. The Anderson, very popular, is about 800 bucks. But if you leave cost out, I think it's hard to argue against the BD5 or 16K Goosebox as "the best" in their respective classes (5th wheel or gooseneck connection). The GenY hitch is also worth a look, that's new, works differently than the Goosebox, but looks very nice too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W is my choice, 18K Patriot, all welded made USA and so simple to hook up. There is no question you are connected, no spring loaded handle to brake check. Easy to hook up on a angle. Many adjustments up-down and front to back. later FrankClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191218_172740 (2).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	29549 https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3255.html
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The million dollar question....

First off, I love my Trailer Saver. Its the best aka only one worth having and on and on.

You have your needs and they are unique to you, so don't let anyone shame you into one or another.

Whatever those needs are, here are some things that are important to me. First, the strength of the hitch and the connection to the truck are paramount. In my opinion, any hitch that relies on a connection to a gooseneck ball and friction on the bed is not strong enough. Next is a slider mechanism. Any extra movement is exactly that. It makes te entire hitch assembly sloppy and has more areas to wear out.

Finally, (and I think most import) is the way that it latches. The hitch head itself should latch automatically. It should not require an extra step to lock it. There is a YouTube video on a popular channel that shows an experienced RVer dropping his trailer. He was not familiar with his new hitch, he was distracted, whatever. The hitch head should latch and lock automatically.

I'm sure there are others out there that do it, but I'll use my Hensley as an example. When the king pin enters the hitch, the release handle locks the jaws and a second safety is engaged automatically. The is no extra human intervention needed. Obviously, a safety check is still needed, but in the hookup process, there is nothing to forget.

...my two cents. Let us know what you choose and why.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    No 5th Wheel hitch list would be complete without the Reese GooseBox.

We love the fact that we can utilize our truck bed easily and don't have to carry all the extra weight around of a conventional 5th Wheel hitch.

We also love how smooth it rides with it's built-in Air Bags and Shock Absorbers.

The installation only takes about an hour.

We really Love the Reese GooseBox and can't imagine using a regular (or Anderson) hitch.

I couldn’t agree more.....so smooth u can almost forget ur towing....
    Eric and Lori

2013 Ford F-450
    2018 381M
    5 kids
    2 dogs
    1 cat (the boss)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well add my two cents. I’ve had both the BW companion and the AUH. Both worked great pulling my fifth wheel trailers. BW was as solid as they come. But weighs a ton. And every time I want to remove it I have to get a bodybuilder neighbor to help me to take it out.

As such I moved to the AUH. And rather than posting a picture of it in the bed of my truck I’ll post this one here. In my shed leaning up against a bicycle. I absolutely love this thing. 10 minutes to install and 5 minutes to remove.

Both super easy to connect to.

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	29550

But again, never an issue with either.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our 2020 Solitude since January with just over 4500 miles on it and absolutely love it. It is so nice to be able to take it off and on by myself without asking a neighbor for help. The rig rides excellent behind us and hitching and unhitching is a snap even on uneven ground.

Steve & Karen
    Mesa Az.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitches

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Going to make the plunge for a Solitude. Need your opinion on best 5th wheel.
    We pull a Solitude with a Pullrite hitch and like it very much. It securely locks just by backing in. Works great every time. We've been using Pullrite hitches since 2011 and have only good experiences with them. I don't know if they are the best or not, but we like Pullrite very much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast