User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    When I was evaluating 5th Wheel hitches, I felt that the cost of the GooseBox was equivalant to the price of a good traditional 5th Wheel hitch. So, for me, cost was not a factor, functionality (ride smoothness) and convenience were the deciding factors.
    Speaking of price:

A quick Google search for the Anderson Ultra hitch reveals a cost of around $800. Additionally, you will need a Goose Ball for around $200, plus a chain kit if required by your state.

A quick search for B&W Companion hitch for Ford/GM Puck system reveals a price of $1,050 for the 20,000 lb model.

A quick search for the 20k GooseBox revealed a price of $1,250, the 16k GooseBox runs about $200-$300 less. Additionally, you will need a Goose Ball for around $200, plus a chain kit if your state requires one.

So, all three hitches, Reese GooseBox (16k), Anderson, and the B$W Companion will cost about $1,000 and the 20k GooseBox will cost $200 - $300 more.

I was right to ignore price and simply search for the best hitch, I chose the 20k Reese GooseBox.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Andersen hitch, I used locking pins that are used on conventional receiver hitches.
    I also made a locking cover for the cable leaver.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of price:

A quick Google search for the Anderson Ultra hitch reveals a cost of around $800. Additionally, you will need a Goose Ball for around $200, plus a chain kit if required by your state.

A quick search for B&W Companion hitch for Ford/GM Puck system reveals a price of $1,050 for the 20,000 lb model.

A quick search for the 20k GooseBox revealed a price of $1,250, the 16k GooseBox runs about $200-$300 less. Additionally, you will need a Goose Ball for around $200, plus a chain kit if your state requires one.

So, all three hitches, Reese GooseBox (16k), Anderson, and the B$W Companion will cost about $1,000 and the 20k GooseBox will cost $200 - $300 more.

I was right to ignore price and simply search for the best hitch, I chose the 20k Reese GooseBox.
    I too went with the 20k Reese GoosBox. Really love it. I did have to pay closer to $2k because I had the dealer install it. When switching from a TT to a 5ver, I did not have a "spare" 5th wheel hitch to use to get the trailer home from the dealer. So unless you can (and the dealer is willing to let you) install it on their lot before you drive away, something to consider. Would not stop me from getting it again, but just something to be aware of.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two different schools are do you want to use a gooseneck or a king pin. I drive semis and so am more familiar with the king pin which is what all the semis are using. B&W makes a king pin receiver that drops into the same hole as a gooseneck does. That way I can have an empty bed when I remove the receiver. No Rails or anything else to deal with. Definintely heavier than a AUH but I am more familiar with a king pin set up and did see a couple of pictures where the legs of a AUH had buckled. Really comes down to personal preference for most people.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the issues that came up with the Anderson hitch while I was researching hitches, was that the base of the Anderson hitch chaffed the truck bed.

It seems to me that Anderson could easily create a frame that could fit into the OEM Pucks, which would eliminate the chaffing issue while also making installation easier for the user (maybe they could eliminate the need to utilize the Goose Ball entirely).

Anyway, I am very happy that I chose the Reese GooseBox, we just Love it !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If you are looking for a traditional 5th Wheel Hitch, look no further than the B&W Companion. I've got the 25K version, but my Momentum has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs......so I went heavier duty than just the 20K Companion. Rock solid, made in the U.S.A., and from what I've heard...excellent customer service if needed. I haven't needed C.S. so I am only stating what I've heard.
    We concur. We got the B & W Turnover ball for our 2006 F250 Super Duty long-bed. We have never regretted our decision. It makes ZERO noise while pulling and comes apart in two pieces. When its completely removed, there is nothing but a 3.5 inch hole in the bed of the truck....no rails.

My brother has a B & W slider companion for sale here in Michigan. He bought the slider for his short-bed Sierra but found he never uses the slider. He is trying to downsize. If interested, Please PM me...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Speaking of price:

I respect the work you did on researching prices. However, if you do not have a full 8' bed, as I do not on my King Ranch F250, you are told you must have a sliding hitch to be able to fit in the bed, and not crunch your truck. The offset of the AUH makes that a thing of the past, and reduces the price considerably, since all of the slider hitches are a good deal more than $1K, and if you want an OEM puck system, up to 50% more!

The AUH was the only choice I could see, as I was unsure of a Gooseneck adapter, warranty etc. Just my $0.02

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my Momentum with a Ram 3500 MegaCab, and have no issues with the Reese Goosebox when it comes to sharp turns. Yes, it is true that I cannot back up to 90 degrees, but I have never had that situation present itself.
    Art & Leslie
    Full-Time Since March 2016
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn MegaCab DRW Stretched (8') Bed Cummins HO Powerplant

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345