User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best 5th wheel hitch out there?

Going to make the plunge for a Solitude. Need your opinion on best 5th wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W makes pretty awesome hitches. Really like our B&W Companion that fits the Ram puck system. The thing is rock solid, no chucking, definite locking system, rides great. I'd definitely purchase again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Going to make the plunge for a Solitude. Need your opinion on best 5th wheel.
    If you do a search, you'll find enough threads on this subject to keep you busy reading for a couple days at least.

The first thing you need to do is decide what type of hitch you want.
    1- Standard design (e.g. B&W Companion)
    2- Lightweight (e.g. Andersen)
    3- Airbag (e.g. Trailersaver)

Subcategory....
    4- Slider (e.g. Superglide)

Your question is kind of like "Who makes the best golf clubs"?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said there are quite a few threads on this topic that should provide answers to any questions. We have a Solitude also and have been very happy with The Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It has performed very well over 7500 miles of towing in a year and a half. If you at times need your full bed to load cargo etc. the Anderson is the best way to go as it weighs only 35 pounds and can be removed in within 5-minutes. The other advantage I find as frequent boondockers is the ease the trailer can be connected and disconnected on uneven terrain and at angle.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W. Used one for 6 years and never an issue. Made in the USA and built like a tank.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    As said there are quite a few threads on this topic that should provide answers to any questions. We have a Solitude also and have been very happy with The Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It has performed very well over 7500 miles of towing in a year and a half. If you at times need your full bed to load cargo etc. the Anderson is the best way to go as it weighs only 35 pounds and can be removed in within 5-minutes. The other advantage I find as frequent boondockers is the ease the trailer can be connected and disconnected on uneven terrain and at angle.
    Another happy camper here with my Andersen. We don’t camp often so any time we expect to not camp for more than a week I remove the Andersen and hang it on my garage wall of the house or on the wall of the shed at the vacation cabin. 5 minute, one hand removal and 10 minute installation due to having to torque the hold down when installing.

Last edited by Jerryr; 09-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    If you do a search, you'll find enough threads on this subject to keep you busy reading for a couple days at least.

The first thing you need to do is decide what type of hitch you want.
    1- Standard design (e.g. B&W Companion)
    2- Lightweight (e.g. Andersen)
    3- Airbag (e.g. Trailersaver)

Subcategory....
    4- Slider (e.g. Superglide)

Your question is kind of like "Who makes the best golf clubs"?
    No 5th Wheel hitch list would be complete without the Reese GooseBox.

We love the fact that we can utilize our truck bed easily and don't have to carry all the extra weight around of a conventional 5th Wheel hitch.

We also love how smooth it rides with it's built-in Air Bags and Shock Absorbers.

The installation only takes about an hour.

We really Love the Reese GooseBox and can't imagine using a regular (or Anderson) hitch.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-06-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking to buy our new Solitude we had the same questions you have, we talked to 4 people at our storage facility that have solitudes and everyone of them went through this and all ended up with the Andersen. I read so many people ( who do not have one) complain about them and the warranty issue with LPI. After looking at the pros and cons of each and talking directly to GD, LPI and Andersen I came to the conclusion that the benefits of the AUH were in my best interests. I could not be any happier with that decision. It is silly easy. Only con is the ability to lock it to prevent theft. Lock pins are not rated for the 24k also if using the Andersen adjustable ball it can be stolen. Simple little padlocks will be easy to cut. This is something I am still working on. On a positive note it is fast and easy to remove and replace.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Cummins
    Folsom CA

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for a traditional 5th Wheel Hitch, look no further than the B&W Companion. I've got the 25K version, but my Momentum has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs......so I went heavier duty than just the 20K Companion. Rock solid, made in the U.S.A., and from what I've heard...excellent customer service if needed. I haven't needed C.S. so I am only stating what I've heard.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstmatt View Post
    When looking to buy our new Solitude we had the same questions you have, we talked to 4 people at our storage facility that have solitudes and everyone of them went through this and all ended up with the Andersen. I read so many people ( who do not have one) complain about them and the warranty issue with LPI. After looking at the pros and cons of each and talking directly to GD, LPI and Andersen I came to the conclusion that the benefits of the AUH were in my best interests. I could not be any happier with that decision. It is silly easy. Only con is the ability to lock it to prevent theft. Lock pins are not rated for the 24k also if using the Andersen adjustable ball it can be stolen. Simple little padlocks will be easy to cut. This is something I am still working on. On a positive note it is fast and easy to remove and replace.
    Yes it would be nice to be able to lock it in the bed for piece of mind, but with the exception of the ball which could easily be removed and why I remove it when not towing, I have not been overly concerned with theft as it would require a motivated thief with a 1/2" drive socket wrench and a 15/16 socket. When I remove the AUH at our destinations, I do lock it to the trailer.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast