Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious issue!

Splitsworld

Serious issue!

Long story...

All,

So i did my PDI last wednesday and my 385th was delivered by the dealer to my house friday the 20th. For the PDI i had to pay extra for and it lasted a whopping 40-45 minutes. The "tech" didnt even have a check list he basically showed me around the trailer. It was rather embarrassing. I knew more about the trailer then he did. The tech stated that they had just become a GD dealership 2 weeks prior. We didn't check all the sinks, faucets as he said he had checked and "emptied" all the tanks "before" i got there. etc. I take blame for not forcing them to do a proper PDI but the fact was that i figured i would get more info here and on youtube and none from this guy. I mean for the most part RV's are RV's.

I noted that there were multiple leaks under the rig and the tech had said they just emptied the tanks and that something was stuck in the fresh tank drain. So i pulled the valve and waa laa water came pouring out. Didnt seem stuck to me..I shut the valve and still leaking. The drain for the black/gray was leaking as well. I asked that he note that on the "paperwork" at the end (paperwork that "he" would fill out for me, we noted it on the bottom). He said he would get on it right after i left and fix the leaks....The tech didnt even know what the temp/atomsphere gauges were in the trailer so i got nervous as all these red flags went off. He told me they were related to the rain sensing vent over the kitchen. I take responsibility for the PDI and not forcing them to go over everything. There were multiple things the tech did not know and did not show me on the RV. I pointed out the rear drain valve and he said it must be an extra black drain for the half bath..

To my story....trailer gets delivered friday. I boondock almost exclusively so we decided to load up a few things and do a shake down to the lake. I start filling fresh water per the valve fresh water instructions posted on the station. I fill it until it wavers between 1/3 and 2/3 as its a 2 day trip. After a few minutes i see the fresh drain valve start to leak. At that point i knew he didnt touch the valve. It was a slow drip, maybe 1 drip every 15-20 seconds so i figured we should be good for 2 days if its at the low point drain. Hour later we were at the lake and leveled in the dark. Next morning i come out and notice a puddle by my steps and notice multiple drips from the frame under the frame by my main steps. I crawl under there and of course everything is sealed with the winter package cardboard stuff. Its leaking out around it. I peel back a little and water runs out of there. I hear more dripping and notice it traveled further (i hope) down the frame and is also dripping onto the axle between my front 2 wheels.

I check the fresh tank and its a tad low, shows 1/3 now and all we really did was dishes and wash up. Decided to stay since there was nothing we could do. Next morning same thing, pack up. I get the trailer off level to connect to the truck and water pours out the under my stairs. I wish i could post the video i took you would be amazed.

I get to the dump station. I have 3 drain pipes. The very rear black one i was told was a black tank (where the 1/2 bath is). I drain it first, well it didnt look anything like a black tank. I would put money on it being a grey tank. I pull up and for the next black drain. I have 3 valves in the the station, i pull the black one. Eventually black comes out. When it runs clear i pull one that says "grey"...wait..wait...wait..nothing. Hmmm..so i close it and pull the other "Gray" valve..wait..wait..wait..nothing. I am not sure what was leaking out of the rig all weekend but it did not smell like gray water. Not sure where my grey went but i did notice i lost alot of fresh water over the weekend.

My dilema...i do not want to go back to the dealer i bought this from for service....ever. I have a GD dealer closer to me (20 miles) but i am unsure if they would service my unit because i bought it all the way across town (55mi - they didnt have a 385th in stock). Also i need to stage for nascar friday of this week , hopefully, should i just wait until after to take it in? So my questions are ... of the 2 grey and black tanks in the water station...i assume those are labeled properly? Why did the rear tank drain grey when the tech told me it was a black tank - duh? Do you think i will have mold and possible bacteria (if the grey tanks were draining) under my plastic cardboard underbelly seal? Should i just have a mobile RV repair tech come take a look?

I noticed a few other issues that would be a simple fix. I even pulled out the access panel under the rig to look at the wiring and valves. I must thank all those that came before me with GD and i want to thank GD too...other than a few screws and some sawdust the under compartment was nowhere near what i was expecting. It was pretty darn clean.

Advice would be appreciated.. I am really not looking forward to going back to these guys.....build date on my rig is 12/16/14 btw...i can maybe email anyone a copy of the video with water pouring out the frame...i am worried most about mold as my daughter has serious allergies...

Split

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like another dealership that wants the profit from the sale, but doesn't want to do any "real" work. Regarding the rear holding tank. It appears to be a black tank. Your model has nearly twice the black tank capacity of the other Momentums, and it's the only one with a rear bath. I'll bet it's a combined black/gray tank for the rear bath.

Since you're in Phoenix, it will probably dry out pretty quickly, so I don't think mold will be an issue as long as you get it fixed before you use it again.

It sure sounds like a pipe connection came loose during transit. I'll bet it's an easy fix. If you don't want the hassle of dealing with the dealer, you might be able to fix this one yourself.

In any event, I'd give customer service a call to clarify the nature of the rear holding tank, and to see if they have any ideas on how to proceed.

GD Customer Service: (574) 825-9679

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitsworld View Post
    Long story...

All,

So i did my PDI last wednesday and my 385th was delivered by the dealer to my house friday the 20th. For the PDI i had to pay extra for and it lasted a whopping 40-45 minutes. The "tech" didnt even have a check list he basically showed me around the trailer. It was rather embarrassing. I knew more about the trailer then he did. The tech stated that they had just become a GD dealership 2 weeks prior. We didn't check all the sinks, faucets as he said he had checked and "emptied" all the tanks "before" i got there. etc. I take blame for not forcing them to do a proper PDI but the fact was that i figured i would get more info here and on youtube and none from this guy. I mean for the most part RV's are RV's.

I noted that there were multiple leaks under the rig and the tech had said they just emptied the tanks and that something was stuck in the fresh tank drain. So i pulled the valve and waa laa water came pouring out. Didnt seem stuck to me..I shut the valve and still leaking. The drain for the black/gray was leaking as well. I asked that he note that on the "paperwork" at the end (paperwork that "he" would fill out for me, we noted it on the bottom). He said he would get on it right after i left and fix the leaks....The tech didnt even know what the temp/atomsphere gauges were in the trailer so i got nervous as all these red flags went off. He told me they were related to the rain sensing vent over the kitchen. I take responsibility for the PDI and not forcing them to go over everything. There were multiple things the tech did not know and did not show me on the RV. I pointed out the rear drain valve and he said it must be an extra black drain for the half bath..

To my story....trailer gets delivered friday. I boondock almost exclusively so we decided to load up a few things and do a shake down to the lake. I start filling fresh water per the valve fresh water instructions posted on the station. I fill it until it wavers between 1/3 and 2/3 as its a 2 day trip. After a few minutes i see the fresh drain valve start to leak. At that point i knew he didnt touch the valve. It was a slow drip, maybe 1 drip every 15-20 seconds so i figured we should be good for 2 days if its at the low point drain. Hour later we were at the lake and leveled in the dark. Next morning i come out and notice a puddle by my steps and notice multiple drips from the frame under the frame by my main steps. I crawl under there and of course everything is sealed with the winter package cardboard stuff. Its leaking out around it. I peel back a little and water runs out of there. I hear more dripping and notice it traveled further (i hope) down the frame and is also dripping onto the axle between my front 2 wheels.

I check the fresh tank and its a tad low, shows 1/3 now and all we really did was dishes and wash up. Decided to stay since there was nothing we could do. Next morning same thing, pack up. I get the trailer off level to connect to the truck and water pours out the under my stairs. I wish i could post the video i took you would be amazed.

I get to the dump station. I have 3 drain pipes. The very rear black one i was told was a black tank (where the 1/2 bath is). I drain it first, well it didnt look anything like a black tank. I would put money on it being a grey tank. I pull up and for the next black drain. I have 3 valves in the the station, i pull the black one. Eventually black comes out. When it runs clear i pull one that says "grey"...wait..wait...wait..nothing. Hmmm..so i close it and pull the other "Gray" valve..wait..wait..wait..nothing. I am not sure what was leaking out of the rig all weekend but it did not smell like gray water. Not sure where my grey went but i did notice i lost alot of fresh water over the weekend.

My dilema...i do not want to go back to the dealer i bought this from for service....ever. I have a GD dealer closer to me (20 miles) but i am unsure if they would service my unit because i bought it all the way across town (55mi - they didnt have a 385th in stock). Also i need to stage for nascar friday of this week , hopefully, should i just wait until after to take it in? So my questions are ... of the 2 grey and black tanks in the water station...i assume those are labeled properly? Why did the rear tank drain grey when the tech told me it was a black tank - duh? Do you think i will have mold and possible bacteria (if the grey tanks were draining) under my plastic cardboard underbelly seal? Should i just have a mobile RV repair tech come take a look?

I noticed a few other issues that would be a simple fix. I even pulled out the access panel under the rig to look at the wiring and valves. I must thank all those that came before me with GD and i want to thank GD too...other than a few screws and some sawdust the under compartment was nowhere near what i was expecting. It was pretty darn clean.

Advice would be appreciated.. I am really not looking forward to going back to these guys.....build date on my rig is 12/16/14 btw...i can maybe email anyone a copy of the video with water pouring out the frame...i am worried most about mold as my daughter has serious allergies...

Split
    Hi @Splitsworld,

If you have not already contacted our Customer Support as Jim (@TucsonJim) advised below, please either add your 17-digit RV VIN to your "About Me" section here on the forum, or send me a private message (with your name, phone number, and 17-digit VIN) to allow us to research your concerns. Thank you in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

agoutdoors
    I am curious to know what was found with the leaking from the underbelly. I also have a 385TH that is leaking from the underbelly. Its currently (and been so for 50 days) at the dealership waiting to get warranty repairs done (long story but read "Axle Broke Loose" in General if interested). I might get it back this week but I am not holding my breath based on how they have treated me and the repairs to this point. I will let you know what they say if they do fix it, please post what you find out. Thanks.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDRV Customer Service View Post
    Hi @Splitsworld,

If you have not already contacted our Customer Support as Jim (@TucsonJim) advised below, please either add your 17-digit RV VIN to your "About Me" section here on the forum, or send me a private message (with your name, phone number, and 17-digit VIN) to allow us to research your concerns. Thank you in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Hi @Splitsworld,

Thank you for replying via private message! My understanding is that you are working with Ryan Prough, our Warranty Manager, to address your concerns and unless I hear differently from you, I will consider this closed/handled.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Splitsworld
    Yes, thank you Janice for putting me in touch with Ryan. We will be working through this, please consider it closed.

Split

Splitsworld
    so it looks like a cracked fresh water tank. Had a mobile rv guy come out and tear the bottom off, all the insulation is soaked. Then we found that the fresh tank drain valve was leaking. He tore it apart and saw no thread tape so figured it was that. Put tape on it , filled it with aq couple gallons of water and still leaked from there. So it looks like the tank is cracked where the drain collar threads into the tank. Collar isnt cracked. Right now it sits outside with the underbelly off, trying to dry. Ryan (from GD) is sending a new tank. So once that gets here the tank will be replaced along with the insulation and hopefully we are good again from that point. thanks for acting on everything we need Ryan! Split

agoutdoors
    Splits - good to hear you are being taken care of. My dealer couldn't figure out where the water was coming from so I guess its up to me to find the problem.

Splitsworld
    bummer agoutdoors. Yeah i think the dealer tech was an moron. Instead of fixing it like he told me he would do, he put caulk on the drain valve, called it good and it still dripped...how about a test? Unfortunately my weekend test run soaked the whole underneath of rig and all the insulation is drenched. Still super worried about the mold but like i said Ryan and GD are stepping up. Odd that this happened on a brand new rig. My plummer friend came over and looked at it. The tank is def cracked about 1/2-3/4 inch around the first thread into the tank. He was also surprised that this was a female fitting so you have to screw the drain valve INTO the tank. Since it was a december build he is surmising that either a) the mold cracked when they inserted the thread portion into the tank (as it is plastic welded at the factory who makes it) or that b) there may have been water in the tank and it may have froze and cracked the thread collar maybe at sitting at the manufacturer before it shipped, been cold that way this year. There is a small dip in the tank that could maybe hold a few cups of water next to the drain and he think this is where it may have froze. Good luck finding your leak. These things are pretty wide open once you pull that plastic cardboard belly pan off. Split

Ashman
    Splits, What dealer did you have all the problems with? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast