User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any info on the new Honda EU2200i?

My wife and I are planning a trip in a month and there is a possibility of some fairly cold nights where we are going. We have been talking about buying a generator and decided now is the time. The decision was made to purchase a Honda EU2200i, it fits our needs. However when I placed my order at Home Depot, I find out it has recently been replaced with an upgraded model.

The differences seem to be there is now a CO monitor, Bluetooth and a $50 price increase. The CO monitor seems important from a liability standpoint, but pretty pointless to me as I think I know enough to use the generator outside the RV, not inside. The sensor has a limited life, so it needs to be replaced by a dealer at some point or it will stop working. This doesn't make me happy. The Bluetooth (from what limited information I can find on the internet) seems to monitor the power output of the generator, and maybe shut it down remotely, which again seems pointless. You still need to go outside and close the fuel valve.

I am thinking about calling HD tomorrow and canceling my order and finding a retailer with the older model. Can anyone see a reason the newer model is better than the older one? I'm not seeing it.
    Patrick
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7
    2018 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call Honda direct. There are a few different EU2200i models available and looks like one has the blue tooth you are discussing. The Companion EU2200i sounds like it does not. I would go direct to the source, Honda, and get my info. I'm told Honda establishes the pricing so all dealers should be the same. My opinion is Honda still makes a great generator. Have mine in the back of the pickup always ready to go!
    also
    Make sure to check if you need the "Bonding Plug" when plugging direct into the RV. I required one.
    https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick I would go talk to an actual Honda motorcycle dealer, that's where I got mine last fall, a eu2200i and the companion eu2200i. They are the same price as at Home Depot or online somewhere. At least you are talking face to face with people that know about them. I have the onboard Onan but got these as backup and for local power outages. When paired together they will easily run one Coleman 15K a/c unit (have not tried running both) and the lights and converter. Mine do not have all the bluetooth silliness and that's fine with me. They are very quiet well built little generators, you won't be sorry you paid a little more than some other brands out there and got the real deal.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think monitoring your amp draw via bluetooth would be good information. I agree with you on the CO monitor.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually