User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Great feedback. Question, where does the wiring harness connect to the truck? Is there a harness to connect to near the bumper? We are getting a Yukon diesel when they start shipping.
    Yes, it’s a separate plug that is adjacent to the main wiring harness. Make sure you get the right package with this option. That Yukon diesel sounds like a great vehicle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62C39427-7DCA-45EB-8DB1-0D2B7051D6B7.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	29772
    2020 GD Imagine 2800BH
    Was pulled by 2016 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2l
    Now pulled by 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travismd View Post
    Yes, it’s a separate plug that is adjacent to the main wiring harness. Make sure you get the right package with this option. That Yukon diesel sounds like a great vehicle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62C39427-7DCA-45EB-8DB1-0D2B7051D6B7.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	29772
    We have the Sierra with the 6.2 liter. Great engine, can pull anything. But you might as well setup camp at the gas station (pun intended). Moving ahead, needed the third row seat, we are looking forward to the Yukon and definitely waiting for the Diesel. The Yukon like the Sierra 1500 doesn't have a big fuel tank but hoping the diesel can get us high teen towing MPG's and a much nicer range
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree. With our Sierra 2500 Diesel we get 13 mpg in the mountains. But that is a 8,100 pound truck and 6,500 trailer when all empty. So high teens should be in reach!
    2020 GD Imagine 2800BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Furrion system for my trailer.
    I have a 2019 Silverado without the technology package. I found that I had to purchase an adaptor ($70.00) to go between the trailer harness and truck plug-in. Some of the newer trucks do not put out enough power to the running lights to power the cameras.
    Works great with the adapter, no signal at all without it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With wireless, comes a reliability issue. Between the wired approach and getting the camera video in factory head unit, plus having it integrated with GMC's other cameras, to me it is a no brainer to go with the GMC Camera kit, if I can make it happen.

I like the idea of running the wire underneath the trailer then up between the bumper and maybe mounting off the tire. This way the wire is hidden and the camera is at a lower approach which should help integrate better with the backup camera.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are encountering the same tough decision between camera options, but we were finally swayed by the fact that we had $1000 allowance in GM accessories to spend on our new 2500HD Diesel AT4. We're going to use some of the allowance money for the camera and hope we made the right choice (over a Furrion wireless setup). We are super hesitant about drilling into our brand new camper (2021 Imagine 2400BH) for the wiring as I won't even put things on the walls yet, but we have an appointment at the GD dealership to have the camera installed in a few weeks. They haven't installed one, yet though, so we are researching good options for the wire (and we may just try doing it ourselves if we can figure out a no-drill option that will work well). I like the idea of mounting close to the spare and hiding the wiring there before running underneath the camper. This sounds like the most feasible option right now. We did consider trying to mount at the Furrion mount at the top (even though that's not the recommended spot per GM), but you still have wiring to worry with and you don't get the transparent feature with it mounted that high, from what I understand.

I did some research on your question, and could find no way to convert the Furrion wireless signal to the GMC camera input signal. We did use the Furrion wireless camera with 7" monitor for several months and really liked it. But we then bought a new GMC truck and decided to simplify to one screen and put the Furrion up for sale. I found the GMC camera at a local dealer and they almost price-matched the online price.

Something to mention that you may already know: Transparent trailer requires the technology package. Mine did not have that, which I learned after installation. Still allows me to see behind the trailer, so very happy, but in hindsight would have mounted it up higher instead of right above the spare tire if I knew transparent trailer view was not available with our option packages. It does allow you to leave the rear trailer view on while driving, instead of the bed view and tailgate camera view, which turn off after eight seconds.

For mounting, not wanting to screw into the side of my rig, I bought a 3-4 foot piece of square aluminum, painted it white, and u-bolted to the spare tire carrier. The camera is mounted to that piece of aluminum. Then zip-tied the cable behind the spare tire, and along the bottom of the trailer, following the propane hose.

Again, we liked that Furrion, but am really happy with the GMC option and only having one camera.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.
    Do you happen to have any photos of your camera mount? I think I'm visualizing correctly, but this sounds like the best option right now. Also as an aside, your TV switch was somewhat similar to ours. We just got our AT4, so we haven't towed with it yet. Did you notice a drastic change in the sway/stability with the diesel. We worked so hard when researching campers to find one that worked with our current TV, and our camper does work with it, but I'm super anxious in a vehicle, and the sway with highway travel just got to me. I need something that feels more solid when traveling so that I can enjoy the trips a bit more, thus the step up to the 2500. BIG step and HUGE purchase, so I'm praying we made the right move.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure wish I came across this thread earlier lol, I posted similar questions about this camera on a different thread Anyways, I went ahead and ordered the camera and will share more when it comes in. I did not know that the transparent view requires the technology package..... that kinda sucks since I'm pretty sure mine does not have that..... I will look into running the wire following the propane line!!! Great suggestion!!! Anyone else run theirs differently? Thanks for the input!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    We are encountering the same tough decision between camera options, but we were finally swayed by the fact that we had $1000 allowance in GM accessories to spend on our new 2500HD Diesel AT4. We're going to use some of the allowance money for the camera and hope we made the right choice (over a Furrion wireless setup). We are super hesitant about drilling into our brand new camper (2021 Imagine 2400BH) for the wiring as I won't even put things on the walls yet, but we have an appointment at the GD dealership to have the camera installed in a few weeks. They haven't installed one, yet though, so we are researching good options for the wire (and we may just try doing it ourselves if we can figure out a no-drill option that will work well). I like the idea of mounting close to the spare and hiding the wiring there before running underneath the camper. This sounds like the most feasible option right now. We did consider trying to mount at the Furrion mount at the top (even though that's not the recommended spot per GM), but you still have wiring to worry with and you don't get the transparent feature with it mounted that high, from what I understand.

Do you happen to have any photos of your camera mount? I think I'm visualizing correctly, but this sounds like the best option right now. Also as an aside, your TV switch was somewhat similar to ours. We just got our AT4, so we haven't towed with it yet. Did you notice a drastic change in the sway/stability with the diesel. We worked so hard when researching campers to find one that worked with our current TV, and our camper does work with it, but I'm super anxious in a vehicle, and the sway with highway travel just got to me. I need something that feels more solid when traveling so that I can enjoy the trips a bit more, thus the step up to the 2500. BIG step and HUGE purchase, so I'm praying we made the right move.
    Having tried both options, I think you will really be happy with the camera choice. I should be able to get you pictures of our setup later this afternoon.

And the truck is a HUGE towing upgrade. Our 6.2l Yukon, despite being a great tow vehicle, had some sway, and other difficulty towing when we upgraded to the 6,500 pound GD from our prior 4,500 pound trailer. The GMC 2500 HD dominates the GD again - you won’t even know it’s back there. Congrats on the AT4. You will love it.
    2020 GD Imagine 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t make it to our trailer today, but pretty certain I will on Saturday - and will post some pics.
    2020 GD Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t make it to our trailer today, but pretty certain I will on Saturday - and will post some pics.
    Thats alright, thanks for your help!!!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast