User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2021 23BHE - Furrion camera pre-wire -> GMC Trailering Camera Package

We have a 2020 GMC Sierra with the trailer camera package. This means as an option we can purchase the camera and the wiring harness to put our own camera in. The 2021 23BHE like many GD travel trailers has the prewiring for a Furrion camera. Are the wires similar? Can I cut and splice them together?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    We have a 2020 GMC Sierra with the trailer camera package. This means as an option we can purchase the camera and the wiring harness to put our own camera in. The 2021 23BHE like many GD travel trailers has the prewiring for a Furrion camera. Are the wires similar? Can I cut and splice them together?
    Don't know about Chevy but with the new Rams you simply pair the camera to the truck, same as you'd do with the Furrion monitor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only wiring to a Furrion Camera mounted in the GDRV shark fin on the rear of the trailer is a power connection which runs off the truck’s marker lights. For your GMC/CHEVY system to work you need a camera which must pair to the truck monitor. Best guess is you could splice if a suitable connector is not available.

How much is the camera for the back of the trailer? (Valeo or something like that?)
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    The only wiring to a Furrion Camera mounted in the GDRV shark fin on the rear of the trailer is a power connection which runs off the truck’s marker lights. For your GMC/CHEVY system to work you need a camera which must pair to the truck monitor. Best guess is you could splice if a suitable connector is not available.

How much is the camera for the back of the trailer? (Valeo or something like that?)
    Are you saying the Furrion is wireless and only the power lead is up there?

Here is the camera from GM.

https://www.gmparts2u.com/oem-parts/...rything%20Else

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is what I’m saying, the shark fin is empty. Only the power is there, on later models (maybe since 2017 - 2018?). Some previous years had just a power connector which was always on. The on/off switch for the current arrangement is your truck’s light switch.

The Furrion is wireless.

Thanks for the link, thought that was the unit.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Yes, that is what I’m saying, the shark fin is empty. Only the power is there, on later models (maybe since 2017 - 2018?). Some previous years had just a power connector which was always on. The on/off switch for the current arrangement is your truck’s light switch.

The Furrion is wireless.

Thanks for the link, thought that was the unit.
    Ugh, so I need to run a wire there somehow.. :-) Any ideas? :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are only three options for a cabled connection; going over, through or under the trailer. Seems to me an observation and backup camera mounted on the rear of the trailer that integrates with your audio video head in your truck should have a wireless option, could there be one? Certainly you could for just a few dollars more (20% more max) than the camera link shown have a plug and play Furrion system.

I have the 5” observation system and it is great. It does give me an additional screen in the cab, but the “dish on the dash” is an ideal loacation.
    Judy & Larry

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Ugh, so I need to run a wire there somehow.. :-) Any ideas? :-)
    Why dont you want to use the Furrion? It really is plug and play. A friend of mine just bought a new Momentum with the Furrion as part of the purchase, it took us all of 30 secs to pair it to his GM and as a bonus I got a 7” monitor for cheap to replace my 5”!
    Last edited by Bungy; 09-16-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 Chevy 2500 with the integrated trailer camera feature. From what I can tell it only works with the GM OEM hard wired camera. The advantage is that it is integrated into the dashboard display without the need for a separate monitor. Disadvantage is that it will require running a hard wire from the camera mount to the plug on the truck bumper.

There are apparently some production issues and the cameras are on back order. Maybe an after market one will eventually become available, but I don’t know of one out there yet.

The GM virtual transparent trailer feature requires the camera to be mounted much lower than the GD factory mount on my 311BHS. Not sure if I will mount it high for a better view, or low for the transparent effect. I think I’ll leave some slack in the cable so I can try it both ways.

I’ll report back if I ever get the camera.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcGuire View Post
    I have a 2020 Chevy 2500 with the integrated trailer camera feature. From what I can tell it only works with the GM OEM hard wired camera. The advantage is that it is integrated into the dashboard display without the need for a separate monitor. Disadvantage is that it will require running a hard wire from the camera mount to the plug on the truck bumper.

There are apparently some production issues and the cameras are on back order. Maybe an after market one will eventually become available, but I don’t know of one out there yet.

The GM virtual transparent trailer feature requires the camera to be mounted much lower than the GD factory mount on my 311BHS. Not sure if I will mount it high for a better view, or low for the transparent effect. I think I’ll leave some slack in the cable so I can try it both ways.

I’ll report back if I ever get the camera.
    Thanks look forward to that post and your wiring strategy. Yes those are the positives. I'd prefer not to have a separate monitor ontop of my dashboard when the screen itself is integrated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	denali screen.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	655.7 KB 
ID:	29679

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast