User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swapping to Lithium batteries, replacing Inverter Charger, 2018 297rsts

Tired of running out of juice while dry camping in the winter so upgrading the lead acid batteries to lithium and swapping the OE WFCO bulk charger/converter to a multi-stage WFCO charger designed for lithium batteries.

We camp in ski resort parking lots during the winter ski season and most don't allow generators over night or have hook-ups and lead acid batteries don't like that cold night air. We would run out of battery for the furnace/heater by about 4AM.

So... Relocating the new LION batteries to storage area under the bed so they can stay above 32*F while charging. But just in case, adding a temp sensor and battery meter from Victron.

Here are some links and costs should anyone find this info useful:

WFCO WF-9850L2 Multi-Stage Lithium-Ion Converter/Charger $180 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor $200 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Victron Energy Temperature Sensor for BMV-702/712 $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lion Energy Safari UT1300 2-pack $1,399 COSTCO https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-s...100663833.html
    Aaron & Dianna, Sammamish, WA
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 297 RSTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW, w/ultimate tow and camera

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to look into the Progressive Dynamics PD9160 instead of the WFCO. I've got one of the Lions Energy batteries, so far very happy with it, works great with the BMV-712.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also going to do this upgrade, but I'm new to this and am wondering, where do I find the converter, and, can I just run new wire to the new battery location and leave every thing else intact? Sorry for what's probably a simple question, but I just don't know enough yet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larrykt View Post
    I am also going to do this upgrade, but I'm new to this and am wondering, where do I find the converter, and, can I just run new wire to the new battery location and leave every thing else intact? Sorry for what's probably a simple question, but I just don't know enough yet.
    No

It’s not complicated by certainly not as simplistic as you presented. I suggest you look at a number of forum topics and educated yourself on electrical somewhat. You don’t have to be an engineer to get the concepts and ideas. Great info and different opinions on here. This will save you a lot of money and redos as you create some kind of matched system. Just throwing monies at lithium batteries is not an over answer.

You need to determine if you are wanting to go simple and just add batteries or want to do a few days off grid where there is no campground electricity or go major off grid where you can camp where you want.

We camp a variety of ways. We like some degree of autonomy and don’t like the crammed expensive campgrounds. Course our kids are grown. We do hook into a campground for a week and use it as a base ground for exploring an area, but we really like camping in state parks and National forests as it give you are real beauty of nature and there is space between people, or no people at all.

To do that we need to be able to live off battery power . Batteries no matter what type need recharging. Most weekend campers can get by with 2- group 31 12 volt or at least two golf cart ( 6 volt) . They gave you about the same amp hours . ( reading will educate you why this is important measure. ). You equipment uses battery energy in converted amp hours. But you batteries need charging no matter what type.

RV converters suck at that plus they are not really reliable name brands. You need at a minimum a three stage charger ( red about the stages) to. Charge quickly as well as protect the batteries from you overcharging. The good chargers like Handle this easily. So no matter what take out the converter, save it for reselling the RV and replace the charger.

Charging can take place usually 1- when you are hooked up at a campground or home, 2- with a generator 3- when traveling with the 7 pin to your truck ( very minimal) and 4- solar.

If your a campground camper then all you’ll need is a good three stage charger. I suggest you stay away from camping site chargers and look into the marine ones. They overall are build better and the companies are more reliable ( I have a 35 ft sailboat which runs on 12 volt)

If you like weekends without an electric hookup (2 days) this be enough but certainly you need to read and find out how many amps you use in a day and see if the number of batteries you have will sustain you. As a side air conditioning unless you have a very extensive expensive set up can’t run off batteries.

If you camp or want to stay instate parks away from crowds more than a couple days you will need to look into solar , a portable generator.

Understand your camper is set up ( they are all different) to run on both 110 volt ( household current ) and other parts on 12 volt ( batteries) . You can set up to run 110 volt off your batteries but you need an inverter. Make sure it’s a pure sign one so it doesn’t destroy computers or electronics. There are many combo charger / inverter units out there but again the best are marine. Inverters will have one end connected to the batteries and have a number of 110 outlets to plug into or run an extension cord or power strip. Inverters allow you to run many things which run off 110 like coffee pots, good Tv, computer, charging of devices etc.

You can accomplish this part for about $300-400 minus the battery choice. ( that’s a whole other discussion you need to become educated on with plenty of info on here or on line)

So in our case we have the following system as we spend up to a week or two without electrical hook ups. We have good solar recharging capabilities ( but not always sunny in state forests) we have a 3500 wat generator ( for air conditioning ) and battery charging. But remember that’s only two ways to charge.

We chose to put inverter/ Charger in one unit plus an automatic switch which converts our batteries to ALL of our 110 outlets in the camper. No extension cords or replugging appliances or devices. It means everything gets simplified without buying or wiring disparate equipment. It’s an expense but the convenience and benefits are well worth it. The expense is way cheaper than if you bought all the component parts and wire. It’s got a huge 120 amp charger and is a pure sign wave inverter.

Read, read, read so you don’t overspend and undermatch your system. This area is top in importance to learn as many of your life convinces you bought work on some form of electricity . You don’t want to be taken advantage of or not be able to do simple fixes and have to wait fir an electrician. Most installations are simple if well thought and planned out.

Feel free to PM me no matter which way you go

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Multi.../dp/B01AD2MJSK
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM