User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator auto start

2019 351M...is the generator supposed to auto start if power to the unit is lost? I was under the impression the switch was auto sensing and would see power loss at the shore connection and start the gen to supply power. Ive had short power interuptions with no gen start. Looked at settings on the generator itself. Only issue would be it starts on auto and runs out of fuel after awhile i suppose

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your 351M is like my 381M then no, the genny won't start with the loss of shore power alone. On the One Control panel there are options under Generator > Settings where you can have the genny start automatically. You can set the genny to start automatically if your battery voltage drops below a setting, like 12VDC, or 11.75VDC, whatever you chose. You can also have the genny auto start if needed for A/C. Be aware, this setting will start the genny regardless of shore power status. Ask me how I know.

Having said that, there are aftermarket kits that will automatically start the genny in case of loss of shore power. Google will be your friend here and others may chime in, but I haven't pursued them.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    If your 351M is like my 381M then no, the genny won't start with the loss of shore power alone. On the One Control panel there are options under Generator > Settings where you can have the genny start automatically. You can set the genny to start automatically if your battery voltage drops below a setting, like 12VDC, or 11.75VDC, whatever you chose. You can also have the genny auto start if needed for A/C. Be aware, this setting will start the genny regardless of shore power status. Ask me how I know.

Having said that, there are aftermarket kits that will automatically start the genny in case of loss of shore power. Google will be your friend here and others may chime in, but I haven't pursued them.

John
    My 397 is the same. Will auto start if the battery drops to 11.75 or if needed by a/c depending on how you set it.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone else pointed out, the autostart in OneControl is based on either the voltage of the batteries or the need for HVAC. It won't kick on automatically if you lose power. I don't like the lack of "deterministic outcome" with the OneControl system so I added this:
    https://rvautomations.com/automatic-...-start-system/

Which does what you're looking for. If shore power drops, the generator starts. Needed or not, battery voltage high or low. It just starts the genny. And stops it if shore power is restored (after a 60 sec delay, IIRC). It's pretty easy to install, in my 351M all the wires I needed were easily accessible behind the false wall in my basement. Once I realized I could tap everything there, it was about 30 minutes to install it. It works great; I'm very happy with mine. I have it primarily because my pets are in the RV when we travel and I wanted something dead simple and reliable.