User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just went thru the same type of decision. We have a dually already but wanted to stay with a lighter trailer around 30' and as short height wise as possible as to minimize issues with trees. Budget not the total deciding factor but wanted to stay under $60k. Definitely wanted the separate 13ish foot garage for our Honda Talon. We just ordered a 31G. 35'11" overall and 12'1" tall. Might be worth a look.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TerryH - I did consider the 31G, and here's my thinking - Great for shorter trips, but maybe not a unit to live in for a few months.

I don't think the 31G has enough storage for a longer term trip, though one can argue you free up the truck bed. Besides the extra ~1k# of CCC (vs the 320G/350G), I really like the hanging closet space, as well as the pass through storage, in the 5th wheel models. I always ride my motorcycles geared up, and that gear is bulky, so the extra closet space for jackets, etc.. is nice. Also, I like that the 5th wheels don't have a bed with a folding mattress in the MBR (again, I see this as a benefit for long-term use, as you have more options to change the mattress to something you like better if needed).

Also, since the 31G is still 36' with the A-frame, if you compare to the 320G, the overall length of the entire rig would be shorter, right, since you're moving the front of the trailer forward over the bed 3-4' and eliminating the A-frame?

The 31G definitely puts the checkmarks in the 'Pro' column for price, lighter weight, and vertical clearance, though, all of which would also be nice to have...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I did the same research you have and I ended up buying a 2016 350m and bought a 2018 3500hd srw diesel crew cab short bed and I love them both we have street bikes and a Yamaha yxz 1000r sxs we boondock all the time except at the coast truck pulls trailer perfect 350m has 11 foot garage (perfect for the toys ) best decision I have made ! Take care

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a lot of research and use my trailer much like you. I ended up with a 351m. My Rzr Xp 1000 fits in the garage even with the patio fence and screen doors. I like the extra bathroom for friends but gave up a foot of garage vs. the 320 and gained an extra couch seat. The extra water is nice too. I originally looked at bumper pulls but you have to add 4’ to the length and a worse turning radius. The fifth wheel overhangs the truck so less tow length. I tow with a short bed diesel 3500 and am within ratings. I use the Goosebox hitch with a B&W turn over ball and a 4” offset ball. I boondock almost exclusively and added 1200 watts of solar, 3000 watt inverter and a residential refrigerator. I am very happy with the set up. Would like more garage but don’t want anymore length.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argh! You guys are killin' me!

J/k! But seriously, I had just resigned myself to going w/ the extra length of the 350G, though I have to admit the length is a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit nervous that I may not be able to find a place to park it on my family's property where it would be out of the way. I'd also still want the the disc brakes on a trailer of that size, and at least one of the dealers I'm talking to is hemming and hawing about adding them, saying they'd have to send it out, blah blah blah..., which also makes me nervous. And, I don't know yet exactly how much it'll end up costing me.

Both the Rzr and the XYZ seem to be a few inches longer than the Ranger, and both @RSteele and @Grimmreaper seem to make the 11' garage work... Hmmm... Now I'm thinking again if I can go w/ the shorter 320G (same issue w/ the disc brakes), or bite the cost bullet and get the bells and whistles of the 351G (which is still my favorite floorplan) at the cost of a couple of extra feet in length... So, if I did go w/ the -M, it would so much easier to just order the 8k axles from the factory w/ the disc brakes already installed. YOLO, right?

FWIW, I'm working w/ a Ford dealer to spec out a SRW F350. He was able to work out the payload w/ the options I selected and seems pretty confident that the delivered payload capacity should be ~3950# on the door sticker, so I think I'll be fine w/ any of these dual-axle options as far as the truck goes.

If you guys have pics of your toys in the garages, and/or the trailers hitched up to your trucks, I'd love to see them!

Thanks again!

Edit - @RSteele 'I like the extra bathroom for friends but gave up a foot of garage vs. the 320...' Isn't the garage in the 320G and 351M the same - 11'?
    Last edited by LMychajluk; 09-19-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the jacks and cargo capacity

Two things you mentioned concern me.

1. If you’re going to boon dock off road, make sure you’re comfortable with the clearance for leveling jacks

We have the 351M and have to be extremely careful in developed parks with paved roads. If you start going down gravel roads or paved roads with pot holes, my guess is you will hang a jack sooner rather than later. I’ve never measured the clearance, but it’s mere inches.

2. Cargo capacity. It’s funny I see several people talking about towing capacity, but just as important, if not more important when planning on boon docking while carrying a sxs or motorcycle, is making sure you don’t exceed GVWR for the camper. Especially a two axel toy hauler. When you add 1000 lbs for the sxs, full fuel for your generator and aux tank, fresh water and gear, you will be close if not over max weight. Especially for the axels. Consider also that when boon docking, when you’re ready to pack up, you will be leaving the camp site with your gray and black tanks at least partially full..albeit with less fresh water.

I’m not saying you can’t do it, but I suggest creating a spreadsheet and playing around with the numbers for different scenarios with different campers to see which one would work best. Similar to how pilots do weight and balance calculations.

And, I definitely recommend going for the upgraded axels and breaks on the 2021 models.

My two cents.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people on this site will tell you to go big on your tow vehicle because you may later on choose a larger trailer. You might also want to consider going diesel.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Argh! You guys are killin' me!

J/k! But seriously, I had just resigned myself to going w/ the extra length of the 350G, though I have to admit the length is a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit nervous that I may not be able to find a place to park it on my family's property where it would be out of the way. I'd also still want the the disc brakes on a trailer of that size, and at least one of the dealers I'm talking to is hemming and hawing about adding them, saying they'd have to send it out, blah blah blah..., which also makes me nervous. And, I don't know yet exactly how much it'll end up costing me.

Both the Rzr and the XYZ seem to be a few inches longer than the Ranger, and both @RSteele and @Grimmreaper seem to make the 11' garage work... Hmmm... Now I'm thinking again if I can go w/ the shorter 320G (same issue w/ the disc brakes), or bite the cost bullet and get the bells and whistles of the 351G (which is still my favorite floorplan) at the cost of a couple of extra feet in length... So, if I did go w/ the -M, it would so much easier to just order the 8k axles from the factory w/ the disc brakes already installed. YOLO, right?

FWIW, I'm working w/ a Ford dealer to spec out a SRW F350. He was able to work out the payload w/ the options I selected and seems pretty confident that the delivered payload capacity should be ~3950# on the door sticker, so I think I'll be fine w/ any of these dual-axle options as far as the truck goes.

If you guys have pics of your toys in the garages, and/or the trailers hitched up to your trucks, I'd love to see them!

Thanks again!
    Here's a picture for you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200626_093612.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	29637

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to the RV world, but have been doing research on/off for a couple of years, including reading through many of the threads here. Now I'm looking for input and opinions on this...

I started looking at a Momentum 21G, but realized that it may be a bit much for my current F150. After mulling it about for awhile, I'm willing to upgrade the truck, but living near NYC and occasionally having to go into the boroughs, a short-bed F350 SRW is about as much truck as I'd like to get into. But, once I have more truck to work with, I have more options as far as the trailer, incl. 5th wheels.

I would start off using the trailer for motorcycle rallies and other events around the NE and mid-Atlantic, as well as occasionally hauling a Polaris Ranger XP 1000 around the area. Currently, I usually travel by and camp off the bike, but I'm getting a bit older and miss some of the comforts, like a private (and clean) shower. I may have a friend or two join me at some of these events, so if I can get 2-3 bikes in the garage, all the better. At some point (2-3yrs down the line), I would love to go across country w/ one or two motorcycles, maybe doing a bit of remote work from the road (so, ideally a layout where I wouldn't have be in the same seat all day would be nice). Right now, I may be solo on this trip, but maybe I can convince someone to come along. To minimize costs, I'd like to boondock where possible, exploring the local areas on the bike by day and spending a few nights at RV parks every week or two to dump tanks, refill water, etc...

I've looked at a few GD models, and my current favorites are the 350G and 349M, primarily for the separate garages that are >12' (to easily fit the 10' Ranger, and also possibly for use as a 'home office'). The GDs seem to lend themselves nicely to boondocking as well, with good insulation, larger tanks, and a good amount of generator fuel onboard (I'd also boost up the solar capacity some on whatever unit I end up with). I understand that there are significant differences in features and prices between the G and M models, but right now, my primary concern is the size. I'm not too worried about being able to handle the towing in most situations, but would the 38-40' length and 13.5' height size of these limit my accessibility to remote locations and boondocking areas? What if the road was a bit rough or washed out, or overgrown? If I do end up at RV parks, would I be paying significant premiums for this size trailer? If I am travelling solo, would this size trailer be too much to handle on my own?

With a bigger truck than my current F150, I could consider a 25G to keep the trailer to ~30', though I would give up the separate garage area, hanging closet space, storage (some of which I can gain back in the truck), and a non-folding bed / solid mattress. If I give up on the idea of hauling the Ranger, I'd probably like to go w/ something like the 320G or 351M, as the 10' garages would be plenty for the bikes, but I still have the trailer size issue. In that scenario, I may give up on the Toy Hauler idea all together, load the bike in the back of the truck, and pull something like one of the Imagine 26xx series or maybe even one of the XPLOR models (though I'd really prefer to have the bike enclosed).

So... where do I start? Do I start smaller, and maybe upgrade in a couple of years before doing anything long-term / long-distance? Or bite the bullet from the get go and get into something that will last me for the 'long haul', getting comfortable with it closer to home and making any modifications to suit my needs as they come up?

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, advice, etc...!
    OK, here is my suggestion and where I went wrong after owning multiple trailers the past 30 years and buying my latest trailer (2019 28G Momentum (new)). Take the money you will spend on the new trailer and truck and find a nice piece of land that fits your needs (with cabin w/o cabin). This will save you countless hours working with GD, service centers, not having your trailer due to it being in the service center for weeks etc. You will avoid empty promises by GD (or for that matter any other trailer manufacturer), terrible service from service reps etc. I can say my 28G Momentum is the most expensive trailer I have purchased and the one with the most significant issues. My overall plan was to purchase the 28G and then in 6-10 years after retirement upgrade to a larger toy hauling 5th wheel. This latest purchase has changed all that. If I could go back a year knowing now what I know with how much the industry has declined in quality, this is what I would do. Good luck on your decision.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68F1EB1A-5AD9-4274-AAEA-D31D2C75B429.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	29650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B231AB4E-514A-47F0-BF5C-6139859E65DB.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	29652
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast