Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaldridge View Post
    Two things you mentioned concern me.

1. If you’re going to boon dock off road, make sure you’re comfortable with the clearance for leveling jacks

2. Cargo capacity.
    Wow... I didn't realize that the jacks would be that much of an issue. Is there no manual adjustability in them? Is this more an issue w/ the hydraulic jacks, or the electric as well? I was thinking more along the lines of 'dirt roads' and other things I might encounter out West more than true 'off road', and would do the more remote exploring in the truck or via motorcycle. But I'll definitely do some reading and keep this in mind.

As for the CCC of the trailer - I hear you. I definitely will want the 8k axles should I go with the -M. I've done the math, and with full water and fuel, there's only~1400# of cargo left in the 351M w/ the 7k axles. Not even enough for the SxS. One saving grace is on my longer trips, I probably won't be taking the SxS, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
    A lot of people on this site will tell you to go big on your tow vehicle because you may later on choose a larger trailer. You might also want to consider going diesel.
    Yeah. Diesel has less payload in the F350, though, and I'm not sure I want to pay the premiums, both for the motor and the $.25-$1/gal they charge for Diesel over Regular in my home area.

Quote Originally Posted by bcv1218 View Post
    OK, here is my suggestion and where I went wrong after owning multiple trailers the past 30 years and buying my latest trailer (2019 28G Momentum (new)). ...
    Ouch. Sorry for your experience, and thanks for hanging around here to provide warnings to us newbies! But I've been bitten by the Wanderlust bug, and there's a lot of this country I'd still like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Here's a picture for you....
    Thx! Always nice to see pics of toys and rigs, but I was hoping to see pics of SxSs loaded in the 11' garages. I'm actually kind of surprised that there's not a posted thread in the Momentum forum for this.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hydraulic jacks so I can’t speak to the electric. And, there is no way to adjust them higher. I’ve had to reroute around railroad crossings and have had to back up a few times when trying to make a turn on an incline.

This weekend I pulled into a gas station that had a hump in the concrete and scraped the bottom of the jacks behind the axels.

From what I’ve observed, this appears to be an issue with hydraulic jacks, regardless of camper make.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaldridge View Post
    I have hydraulic jacks so I can’t speak to the electric....
    Looking at the Lipert Ground Control Installation manual, they recommend 7" of clearance. Seems a bit low, but they also say "Any additional ground clearance added to the jack location will decrease the amount of level correction available to the system", so it sound like you can move the jack up a bit if needed. On your unit, is there no way to move the jack up the bracket a few bolt holes and then just use some blocks as needed? If it's as bad as you say, it might be worth the inconvenience of the blocks. What's the stroke length of the jack pistons (I can't seem to find this in the specs)?

Just a thought...

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This talk about the jacks being low is strange to me. I've taken my 399 on some national forest land, unpaved campgrounds, gas stations and such. We have around 16k miles or so on our Momentum and I've never had any issues due to the height of the jacks; ours are hydraulic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only speak from my experience.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ON the diesel fuel price, check out the fleet diesel cards available to rvers. In our area, the savings per gallon puts it at about the same price or lower than gasoline.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Sorry for your experience, and thanks for hanging around here to provide warnings to us newbies! But I've been bitten by the Wanderlust bug, and there's a lot of this country I'd still like to see.[/QUOTE]

No problem, I still have my trailer and will use it like crazy and make the fixes myself. I agree, there is a lot of country out there to be seen
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured my jack clearance after hooking up this morning. 4.5” rear most jacks, 5” rear jacks forward of axels. 12” front jacks. 2020 351M

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.) What I'm looking for is input on how easy it is to basically 'live with' a trailer pushing 40' in length: short answer is I love mine at 42' but there's a lot to consider.

2.)parking / storage at home: yup way harder to park not just the 42' but the 13.5 height wires and branches almost always involved and the 21k weight as it tends to want to sink in sand and soft dirt

3.)maneuverability while hitched up: once hooked up it travels very well very stable the passing semis don't really affect me that much but moving thru a gas station to fill up the rv's gas tanks is an almost awful experience as i block the whole thing off when i do, getting diesel for the truck is very easy as i go to truck stops

4.) accessibility to remote locations and campsites: size does limit you at many places but you know this going in so you prepare for that as an example if i go to Yellowstone i cant camp in the park but there are many campgrounds out side of the park i can camp at

5.) operating costs: I went from a 39' TT to a 42' 5er and i lost about 1.5 MPG. more tires /larger tires =$, more propane to heat, getting a pull thru site is almost always a couple of bucks more than a back in site

6.) Does a trailer that size put significant limitations on what you can do with it, or does it open more options?: I feel it opens up many more options for the way that I like to camp it could limit options for others

7.) And, would moving down to a trailer <30' make a big difference in any of these aspects, particularly in where I may be able to go with it?: yes
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31g

Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to the RV world, but have been doing research on/off for a couple of years, including reading through many of the threads here. Now I'm looking for input and opinions on this...

I started looking at a Momentum 21G, but realized that it may be a bit much for my current F150. After mulling it about for awhile, I'm willing to upgrade the truck, but living near NYC and occasionally having to go into the boroughs, a short-bed F350 SRW is about as much truck as I'd like to get into. But, once I have more truck to work with, I have more options as far as the trailer, incl. 5th wheels.

I would start off using the trailer for motorcycle rallies and other events around the NE and mid-Atlantic, as well as occasionally hauling a Polaris Ranger XP 1000 around the area. Currently, I usually travel by and camp off the bike, but I'm getting a bit older and miss some of the comforts, like a private (and clean) shower. I may have a friend or two join me at some of these events, so if I can get 2-3 bikes in the garage, all the better. At some point (2-3yrs down the line), I would love to go across country w/ one or two motorcycles, maybe doing a bit of remote work from the road (so, ideally a layout where I wouldn't have be in the same seat all day would be nice). Right now, I may be solo on this trip, but maybe I can convince someone to come along. To minimize costs, I'd like to boondock where possible, exploring the local areas on the bike by day and spending a few nights at RV parks every week or two to dump tanks, refill water, etc...

I've looked at a few GD models, and my current favorites are the 350G and 349M, primarily for the separate garages that are >12' (to easily fit the 10' Ranger, and also possibly for use as a 'home office'). The GDs seem to lend themselves nicely to boondocking as well, with good insulation, larger tanks, and a good amount of generator fuel onboard (I'd also boost up the solar capacity some on whatever unit I end up with). I understand that there are significant differences in features and prices between the G and M models, but right now, my primary concern is the size. I'm not too worried about being able to handle the towing in most situations, but would the 38-40' length and 13.5' height size of these limit my accessibility to remote locations and boondocking areas? What if the road was a bit rough or washed out, or overgrown? If I do end up at RV parks, would I be paying significant premiums for this size trailer? If I am travelling solo, would this size trailer be too much to handle on my own?

With a bigger truck than my current F150, I could consider a 25G to keep the trailer to ~30', though I would give up the separate garage area, hanging closet space, storage (some of which I can gain back in the truck), and a non-folding bed / solid mattress. If I give up on the idea of hauling the Ranger, I'd probably like to go w/ something like the 320G or 351M, as the 10' garages would be plenty for the bikes, but I still have the trailer size issue. In that scenario, I may give up on the Toy Hauler idea all together, load the bike in the back of the truck, and pull something like one of the Imagine 26xx series or maybe even one of the XPLOR models (though I'd really prefer to have the bike enclosed).

So... where do I start? Do I start smaller, and maybe upgrade in a couple of years before doing anything long-term / long-distance? Or bite the bullet from the get go and get into something that will last me for the 'long haul', getting comfortable with it closer to home and making any modifications to suit my needs as they come up?

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, advice, etc...!

Look at the GD 31G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31G.pdf  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast