User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Toy Hauler for versatility and boondocking?

Hi all! I'm new to the RV world, but have been doing research on/off for a couple of years, including reading through many of the threads here. Now I'm looking for input and opinions on this...

I started looking at a Momentum 21G, but realized that it may be a bit much for my current F150. After mulling it about for awhile, I'm willing to upgrade the truck, but living near NYC and occasionally having to go into the boroughs, a short-bed F350 SRW is about as much truck as I'd like to get into. But, once I have more truck to work with, I have more options as far as the trailer, incl. 5th wheels.

I would start off using the trailer for motorcycle rallies and other events around the NE and mid-Atlantic, as well as occasionally hauling a Polaris Ranger XP 1000 around the area. Currently, I usually travel by and camp off the bike, but I'm getting a bit older and miss some of the comforts, like a private (and clean) shower. I may have a friend or two join me at some of these events, so if I can get 2-3 bikes in the garage, all the better. At some point (2-3yrs down the line), I would love to go across country w/ one or two motorcycles, maybe doing a bit of remote work from the road (so, ideally a layout where I wouldn't have be in the same seat all day would be nice). Right now, I may be solo on this trip, but maybe I can convince someone to come along. To minimize costs, I'd like to boondock where possible, exploring the local areas on the bike by day and spending a few nights at RV parks every week or two to dump tanks, refill water, etc...

I've looked at a few GD models, and my current favorites are the 350G and 349M, primarily for the separate garages that are >12' (to easily fit the 10' Ranger, and also possibly for use as a 'home office'). The GDs seem to lend themselves nicely to boondocking as well, with good insulation, larger tanks, and a good amount of generator fuel onboard (I'd also boost up the solar capacity some on whatever unit I end up with). I understand that there are significant differences in features and prices between the G and M models, but right now, my primary concern is the size. I'm not too worried about being able to handle the towing in most situations, but would the 38-40' length and 13.5' height size of these limit my accessibility to remote locations and boondocking areas? What if the road was a bit rough or washed out, or overgrown? If I do end up at RV parks, would I be paying significant premiums for this size trailer? If I am travelling solo, would this size trailer be too much to handle on my own?

With a bigger truck than my current F150, I could consider a 25G to keep the trailer to ~30', though I would give up the separate garage area, hanging closet space, storage (some of which I can gain back in the truck), and a non-folding bed / solid mattress. If I give up on the idea of hauling the Ranger, I'd probably like to go w/ something like the 320G or 351M, as the 10' garages would be plenty for the bikes, but I still have the trailer size issue. In that scenario, I may give up on the Toy Hauler idea all together, load the bike in the back of the truck, and pull something like one of the Imagine 26xx series or maybe even one of the XPLOR models (though I'd really prefer to have the bike enclosed).

So... where do I start? Do I start smaller, and maybe upgrade in a couple of years before doing anything long-term / long-distance? Or bite the bullet from the get go and get into something that will last me for the 'long haul', getting comfortable with it closer to home and making any modifications to suit my needs as they come up?

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, advice, etc...!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best place to start off is by researching and learning how to determine your trucks towing ability. this link is a good spot to start https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    once you have that figured out then research traailers that fall into the trucks capabilities. If you have a Momentum 5th wheel in your sights you willl likely need a dually truck.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The best place to start off is by researching and learning how to determine your trucks towing ability. this link is a good spot to start https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    once you have that figured out then research traailers that fall into the trucks capabilities. If you have a Momentum 5th wheel in your sights you willl likely need a dually truck.
    Thanks for chiming in, but I'm not really asking about the tow vehicle at this point. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I'll make sure whatever TV I end up with will handle the trailer I end up with, but I've pretty much done what you've suggested already and settled on an F350 SRW short-bed as my largest TV choice, and the trailers I've mentioned are all within the capabilities of the truck. For the trailer models that I mentioned I'm looking at, the hitch weight is ~2/3 - 3/4 of the payload of the F350 SRW config I'm looking at, and well within the axle, tire, trailer and GCVWR ratings. Any bigger truck means I've moved to a more rural location or went Full Time on the road (neither of which I'm against), but I don't see that happening within the next few years.

For some of the larger Momentums, yes, I'd agree you probably need a dually, but for the dual axle trailers I'm looking at, I'm not going there yet.

So, getting back to what I was really interested in - What I'm looking for is input on how easy it is to basically 'live with' a trailer pushing 40' in length, including everything from parking / storage at home (if you're not FT) to maneuverability while hitched up, accessibility to remote locations and campsites, operating costs, etc... Does a trailer that size put significant limitations on what you can do with it, or does it open more options? And, would moving down to a trailer <30' make a big difference in any of these aspects, particularly in where I may be able to go with it?

Thanks again!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 30 feet becomes a problem in state and Forrest campgrounds. Older RV parks that have 90 degree spots become more difficult depending on the truck/RV combo. Like other post said.figure out your truck capacity first, then look at RV’s. Or join the expensive club of buying a 2nd truck because the first was undersized.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, advice, etc...!
    Welcome to the forum!

On the smaller end of the toy hauler scale is the Imagine XLS 24MPR. Just a thought since you said any suggestions......
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/24mpr
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Over 30 feet becomes a problem in state and Forrest campgrounds. Older RV parks that have 90 degree spots become more difficult depending on the truck/RV combo. Like other post said.figure out your truck capacity first, then look at RV’s. Or join the expensive club of buying a 2nd truck because the first was undersized.
    Thanks! These are the types of items I'm interested in as I try to select a trailer that's right for me. I know it's kind of subjective, but how much of a problem are these? Is maneuvering a 30' bumper pull easier than a 40' 5th wheel (incl. height considerations)? Is it easy enough to find an alternative site at the last minute if your first site is inaccessible? One dealer mentioned how a 5th wheel 'tows smaller', since part of the length of the trailer overlaps the truck, and is not at the end of an A-frame hitch completely behind the truck. Ex. - Is a 25G @ 31' any easier to tow than a 349M @ 39', given that the overall length of the TV+trailer may be close? (I've towed bumper pull trailers up to ~28-30', but never pulled a 5th wheel...)

And, when boondocking, are road conditions (road surfaces, overhead trees, etc...) often a problem for 5th wheels when getting to these locations (i.e., BLM sites)? I guess, in general, is there significantly more planning that needs to go into travelling w/ a 40' 5th wheel vs a 30' TT? I'm kind of the 'play it by ear' and 'come what may' type, but I suppose I can get into the habit of researching my next location, then scouting ahead on the bike or in the truck if needed.

And again, as mentioned, I have my F150 now. It's served me well for the past few years, but didn't think I'd be pulling a camper when I bought it, so I will be upgrading, and will make sure it matches whatever trailer I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

On the smaller end of the toy hauler scale is the Imagine XLS 24MPR. Just a thought since you said any suggestions......
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/24mpr
    I did look at that one, but kind of wanted a bedroom, and the 10' garage isn't long enough for the Ranger (and the CCC of the garage is also borderline). If it was only for weekends and shorter-term trips (where I'd be OK leaving the toys outside the garage), the 21G/25G/28G I think would fit my bill, but I'm not sure I'd be able to live and work out of one for a few months. Layout wise, the 350g and 349M are what I'm liking, but wish I could get that layout, with that size garage, in a trailer that was just a few feet shorter overall. (Does Dr. Who make a Toy Hauler? ).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I type this, I'm sitting in the garage of our 385TH. It's about 43' long, so it's at the upper end - and also an older model. Three axles, generator, large water tanks. We are parked on some acreage we own in central Utah. We have no hookups at all, and we have the generator running to power my computer for work and a few other things. Made slow-cooker stew the other night, let the generator go all night. Used a bit less than 1/2 of a tank of fuel in 24 hours. We have our 2014 Polaris RZR800 with us.

We towed over some very rough dirt roads, and then overland (no road at all) to get to our place. The nearest living soul is about 4 miles away. In the entire valley, there might be 50 people.

We have our daughter (5) with us, and we feel like we have plenty of room. Having the separate garage is a must for working remotely. I have a meeting with the CEO of the company and about a dozen others in 15 minutes, and it won't be any problem.

In my opinion, bigger is better, but we are out West. Where you are, you may find the opposite.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    As I type this, I'm sitting in the garage of our 385TH. ...

... We towed over some very rough dirt roads, and then overland (no road at all) to get to our place. ...

...Having the separate garage is a must for working remotely. ...

... In my opinion, bigger is better, but we are out West. Where you are, you may find the opposite.
    Excellent! Thank you!

I'm in the NE, and will use the trailer here (regionally) for a while, but my goal is to get out West at some point. I don't think I need the space of one of the 40+' Momentums for myself, so I am trying to stick w/ a dual-axle, but trying to find the right balance of versatility / practicality / maneuverability between the smaller and larger units (and TT vs FW) within the dual-axle options.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to come to a conclusion as to which unit is the right fit for me.

At this point, I'm still on the fence between the 320G/350G and the 351M/349M (349M w/o the rear bath).

I'd prefer the shorter of the units if possible, provided I can haul a Polaris Ranger in the 11' garage. From what I can gather, it's doable. Otherwise, I'd go w/ the similar layouts, but longer garage if I had to. In the case of the 349M, I think I'd have to give up the 2nd bath. though. But once I get that detail squared away, it's going to come down to a 'G' vs 'M'.

I also started a seperate thread on the general differences of the -G vs -M class, FWIW:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...******-5th-Wheels

Some of what I consider pros in the -Gs I'm looking at are:
    - Lighter. Though I'd be towing w/ a F350 SRW, the -M class THs I'm looking at would be closer to, but not over, the truck's limits. The -G seems to be about the same GVWR, but lighter on the pin (at least when dry, per the specs). I'd also want to get into some remote areas where the roads might not be as well maintained or sandy/muddy, and I think a lighter trailer might be a plus in that scenario.
    - Shorter (320G). This would be the shortest of the units I'm looking at. But, if I wanted the larger garage, the 350G would be the longest.
    - More Cargo Capacity. The -G series, even w/ the 7k axles, seem to have more CCC than the -M (even w/ the 8k axle upgrades on the -M).
    - Price. Obviously, the -G is cheaper.

The key things, IMO, that I would give up in the -G vs the -M would be the hydraulic vs electric leveling system (pros/cons either way...), the extra 30gal of onboard fuel, and the One Control System (which I understand may not actually be a 'pro').

I'd probably upgrade the pin box, add disc brakes, and maybe beef up the suspension on the -G (i.e., CRE3000 or similar) before taking delivery.

Some features of the -Ms that I think might matter, but aren't really critical(?), would be:
    - 'Rail-Tite' System. Looks like a good idea. Yes / No / Indifferent?
    - 'Beefier' 8k axles. Though this seems to be an expensive option, it almost seems necessary on the 349M/351M just to get a bit more CCC. The 7k axles on the -G are still warrantied for 5 years, though...
    - 4-seat Sofa on slide (vs 3 on the 320G/350G). The longer couch would be nice.

I've looked at a 320G and a 351M. My untrained eye couldn't really see any significant difference in build quality. At this point, I'm almost thinking the 320G/350G might be the right choice for me. My favorite layout is probably the 351G, though, with the island and stools, but I don't know if the slight change in layout vs the 320G/350G along with the other differences in the -M line is worth the premium(?).

Anyone have anything to add, or want to try and sway me one way or the other?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    I'm trying to come to a conclusion as to which unit is the right fit for me.

At this point, I'm still on the fence between the 320G/350G and the 351M/349M (349M w/o the rear bath).

I'd prefer the shorter of the units if possible, provided I can haul a Polaris Ranger in the 11' garage. From what I can gather, it's doable. Otherwise, I'd go w/ the similar layouts, but longer garage if I had to. In the case of the 349M, I think I'd have to give up the 2nd bath. though. But once I get that detail squared away, it's going to come down to a 'G' vs 'M'.

I also started a seperate thread on the general differences of the -G vs -M class, FWIW:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...******-5th-Wheels

Some of what I consider pros in the -Gs I'm looking at are:
    - Lighter. Though I'd be towing w/ a F350 SRW, the -M class THs I'm looking at would be closer to, but not over, the truck's limits. The -G seems to be about the same GVWR, but lighter on the pin (at least when dry, per the specs). I'd also want to get into some remote areas where the roads might not be as well maintained or sandy/muddy, and I think a lighter trailer might be a plus in that scenario.
    - Shorter (320G). This would be the shortest of the units I'm looking at. But, if I wanted the larger garage, the 350G would be the longest.
    - More Cargo Capacity. The -G series, even w/ the 7k axles, seem to have more CCC than the -M (even w/ the 8k axle upgrades on the -M).
    - Price. Obviously, the -G is cheaper.

The key things, IMO, that I would give up in the -G vs the -M would be the hydraulic vs electric leveling system (pros/cons either way...), the extra 30gal of onboard fuel, and the One Control System (which I understand may not actually be a 'pro').

I'd probably upgrade the pin box, add disc brakes, and maybe beef up the suspension on the -G (i.e., CRE3000 or similar) before taking delivery.

Some features of the -Ms that I think might matter, but aren't really critical(?), would be:
    - 'Rail-Tite' System. Looks like a good idea. Yes / No / Indifferent?
    - 'Beefier' 8k axles. Though this seems to be an expensive option, it almost seems necessary on the 349M/351M just to get a bit more CCC. The 7k axles on the -G are still warrantied for 5 years, though...
    - 4-seat Sofa on slide (vs 3 on the 320G/350G). The longer couch would be nice.

I've looked at a 320G and a 351M. My untrained eye couldn't really see any significant difference in build quality. At this point, I'm almost thinking the 320G/350G might be the right choice for me. My favorite layout is probably the 351G, though, with the island and stools, but I don't know if the slight change in layout vs the 320G/350G along with the other differences in the -M line is worth the premium(?).

Anyone have anything to add, or want to try and sway me one way or the other?

So we're at a point in life where we camp 2 ways in our 320G, just my wife and the chocolate lab when we're empty nesting and dry camping and the second when our three college kids come with us to the campgrounds. I will tell you that the layout in the 320G is well suited for us as a couple, however it gets tight in the kitchen area when you add a few more heads and everyone is walking around in the kitchen/living room area. However. What I've found is that dry camping adds a dimension of managing a large trailer offroad. For me, I'd rather navigate a 36 trailer than have the luxury of the longer trailer when we camp with a full house. Long story short, my vote is for the 320G. We boon dock at Harvest Hosts and rustic campsites and I could not imagine doing so with a 40+ trailer. But that's our situation. Everyone's needs are a bit different, just bringing to light that boon docking adds a consideration for the length (and height) of trailer your pulling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast