User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up camping with mom and dad. Had 2 pair of aunts and uncles with my cousins and we camped once a year all together at Ocean Lakes. Mom, dad and myself would do several other trips mostly to state parks to fish several times a year. My now wife and I would tent camp at NASCAR races and at Hunting Island State park a couple times a year since her dad is burried at the Veteran Cemetery in Beaufort. We went mostly early spring and late fall so we could be comfortable. I started hosting BBQ Brethren bashes at dreher island state park in late spring. Usually they were in the 90-95 degree temp range which was a little too hot for me and our German Shepherd. We also wanted to have a nicer vacation that would allow a 70 pound dog to go. Also around 2008-2010 here hotels were having an explosion of bed bugs so that turned us off of hotels. Our drive now is to show Gretta, our German Shepherd, as many sights as possible. She's looked off of cliffs in the Smokeys, splashed in the Atlantic ocean, eaten brisket in Texas, looked over the Mississippi river, and ate a little boudan in Louisiana. Hopefully we can get her down in the Keys in the next couple of years. She's 10 now so we are trying to get her out as much as we can afford. After she's gone we will continue to go places just for our vacations. And most likely will have a new little pup to show the sights of this great land to.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always enjoyed "camping" in my in laws rv, first a pop up, then a travel trailer. Our daughter, who was quite young at the time (8-10 years old) absolutely loved it, and loved spending weekends with her grandparents. One year, we even borrowed the trailer and went, just the two of us, to the Great Smoky Mountains. I really really enjoyed that trip, and still remember it well, even though it was long ago. But that was not our first camping experience; we used to primitive camp before that, even doing it one time when I was 8 months pregnant!

A number of years ago, we bought a property and had an adjacent house that we operated as a short term rental. When we bought it, DH still worked, and I did nearly all of it. Once he retired, we realized we could be free to do whatever we wished. We sold both houses, bought a 2 bath, 42' fifth wheel, and never looked back. Three and a half years later now, we use that 5th as our home on a wonderful site, and travel for months at a time in a 31' Reflection. Last year we traveled a total of about five months in all, and planned to travel at least 6-7 months of the year this year, but COVID has messed that up!

We like to travel for a few months across several states, but also visit our daughter, son in law, and the grands for at least a month during the Holidays.

I recently realized that we should have done this years ago; in 50 years of marriage, we have moved 24 times!!! it would have been so much easier just to move a full timer rv, but I guess it took me a while to be ready to take the leap of getting rid of everything.

I have always loved traveling, but DH had his share of work years when he did nothing but travel, so he learned to love sleeping in his own bed. An rv just seemed like a logical step for us, and like another poster on this thread, we figure we should do it now.....while we are still able to do so.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always enjoyed "camping" in my in laws rv, first a pop up, then a travel trailer. Our daughter, who was quite young at the time (8-10 years old) absolutely loved it, and loved spending weekends with her grandparents. We would drive East from Houston and they would drive West from New Orleans, and we'd spend the weekend in the great outdoors. One year, we even borrowed the trailer and went, just the two of us, to the Great Smoky Mountains. I really really enjoyed that trip, and still remember it well, even though it was long ago. But that was not our first camping experience; we used to primitive camp before that, as young married, with other couples. We love it, and even did it one time when I was 8 months pregnant!

About 10 years ago, we bought a house, and an adjacent house that we operated as a short term rental. When we bought it, DH still worked, and I did nearly all of it. I began to hate always having to be available, and all of the work involved. Once he retired, we realized we could be free to do whatever we wished. We sold both houses, bought a 2 bath, 2 bedroom (BH) 42' fifth wheel, and never looked back. Three and a half years later now, we use that 5th as our home on a wonderful site, and travel for months at a time in a 31' Reflection. Last year we traveled a total of about five months in all, and planned to travel at least 6-7 months of the year this year, but COVID has messed that up!

We like to travel for a few months across several states, but also visit our daughter, son in law, and the grands for at least a month during the Holidays.

I recently realized that we should have done this years ago; in 50 years of marriage, we have moved 24 times!!! it would have been so much easier just to move a full time rv, but I guess it took me a while to be ready to take the leap of getting rid of everything.

I have always loved traveling, but DH had his share of work years when he did nothing but travel, so he learned to love sleeping in his own bed. An rv just seemed like a logical step for us, and like another poster on this thread, we figure we should do it now.....while we are still able to do so. We absolutely love BOTH rvs!!!

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started camping 21 years ago when i met my DW back then we were in tents, I don't really enjoy the tent lifestyle so I started looking for something different from the rest of the crowd. Ended up with a 72 foot school bus that my kids rode to school on. I fixed her up and a tailgating legend was born ( the bus not me ) we used it as often as we could and put about 45k miles on it before the need for more comfort cropped up so in 2008 we purchased our first TT 31 foot jayco jayflight, that really opened us up to the rv lifestyle and we loved it. in 2015 a guy stopped me and asked if I would like to sell I said sure, my next was a 2015 jayco eagle TT 39 foot, we went far and wide across our country loving every minute of it. Retirement was in Jan 2020 and all we wanted to do was check out our entire country at our own pace so we sold the jayco and purchased a 2021 395M (very very happy). as DW and I are sitting here and discussing it I guess we developed a gypsy frame of mind sold the house got rid of all our stuff (only 12 totes left, lol) and we are full time the plan is to do this till it ain't fun any more. I think our motto is the worst thing about camping is having to come back home, when we get bored we move on, and truth be told i think i enjoy meeting all the great folks out there more than seeing all the places we been, good luck on finding your ah ha moment .
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prior to COVID-19 I traveled about 40 weeks a year all over the world. Off to one city for a day or 2, hotel room, rental car, eat out, sleep...off to the next city. Sometimes 4 in a week. My better half wanted to get away on the weekends. I said no hotel rooms etc...if we are gong to get away it will be home away from home. Best decision ever.

We have met the greatest people in our adventures.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as the CIA -- go to interesting places, meet new people and KILL them. NOT. We use to travel all over but as we have aged we started to spend the winter in one place. Summer at our home in the Colorado Mountains and winter in Southern Calif.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, this one is for all you guy's out there.

We recently sold our house, and moved out to the ranch after my father passed away.
    Once we got everything done, we started to relax and enjoy life.
    Then, we get up one morning, and the wife asked "you want to go do something today". That should have been a major red flag.
    I said, "Ok, what do you want to do", and she said "lets go look at RV's". I just want to look and get an idea.

Well, we went and 3 hours later, we were the proud owners of a new Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS.

So, remember guy's the next time she says - want to go do something, be sure to take your check book, cause you'll need it.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRam View Post
    .......we get up one morning, and the wife asked "you want to go do something today". That should have been a major red flag.
    I said, "Ok, what do you want to do", and she said "lets go look at RV's". I just want to look and get an idea.

Well, we went and 3 hours later, we were the proud owners of a new Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS.

:
    Lol, your problem was you answered a question with a question. I answer those with, "YES, I want to ....."
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our initial motivation was when our kids were toddlers and we had a tent.

Wife wanted to get off the air mattresses and into a travel trailer, so an 18 ft Layton TT (used) was our first purchase in 1999.

Then "upgraded" to a truck camper so we could tow our boat and take the kids fishing. From there I sold the TC and bought a used Class C with known dryrot in the overhead bunk. The price was right and I rebuilt the front end (pics here https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/RV/ ) Boy was that a two month chore doing it on week-ends. In the end, it was worth it, we used this Class C not only for hunting and fishing, but as a mobile photography studio at sporting events as I had a side business in photography.

Fast forward to 2017, one kid is moved out and working at Boeing, the other kid in college....so we sold the Class C and bought my father's Gulfstream 5th wheel. I retired the following year and wife retired in spring of 2019. Sold our home. Moved to MT and started our retirement as campground hosts at a state park.

Our intentions was to travel for 2 years and shop "lightly" for a new home in this state we married in. It only took 3 months before our dream home (built in 2015) popped up on the market in 2019. (Obligatory photo here--> https://photos.smugmug.com/Ripsnort-...00000-o-X3.jpg

In Dec of 2020, we upgraded our older 5th wheel to a Grand Design. When I read about the Japanese factory burning down that makes chips, we decided to buy a new 1 ton dually in Feb of this year and thank goodness we did, you cannot find a super duty truck for the price we paid for in Feb.

Well, that covers 20 years of RV ownership.

Today we use our Grand Design to visit family (MN and WA) and spend 4 months a year on the Gulf coast of Texas. Our truck camper is used for hunting and fishing, the wife is an obsessive fisherwoman! Happily every after!
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 06-14-2021 at 06:23 AM.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents bought their first pop-up in 1965. I used Nimrod -- just beds. With 3 boys, it was significantly less expensive to travel that way than relying on hotels/restaurants. Saw all continental US states by the time I was 14. Fast forward to having our two children, first vacation was in a hotel. Kids were young and nights in the hotel were spent watching TV. So bought our first pop-up -- a Coleman with a sink and small 3-way fridge. Wasn't about the money but was about quality time. At night we would play games in the camper. My kids saw all continental US states by the time they were 16. Sold the pop-up after family trips stopped. Fast forward to 2016/2017 and DW and I decide we miss camping and want to go again. Knew it wasn't going to be in a pop-up . I thought it would be in a small TT that my F150 could tow. As the trailers got longer and heavier, opted for a 5th wheel and a dually. One of the reasons why the RV kept getting bigger was the fact that I would retire within 5 years or so and the bigger unit would allow us to stay in it comfortably for extended periods like a month down south during winter. That's how we ended up RVing.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast