User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    mag814

Question Dealer performed PDI

Have been told the Grand Design does a very thorough inspection of their rigs before leaving the factory. Can you address the importance of a the Dealer PDI that is done as well. We are being charged a pretty hefty fee for this. Also why is the battery not included with the rig? And can you comment on the smoke test that the dealership says they do during PDI? Does GD not do this at their inspection?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. GD does perform a comprehensive inspection on each rig. Then it hits the road for the first time. Vibration, shock and other issues can occur which loosens items up. In addition, it's always good to have a second set of eyes take a good thorough look.

2. I've never had a battery included from the manufacturer in any of my trailers or fifth wheels. When the unit is being delivered, the driver carries their own battery. If the rig sat on the lot for six months to a year before delivery, the battery would have to be maintained in order to keep it working correctly. Also, I was able to specify the type of batteries I wanted my dealer to install. I wanted two six volt AGM batteries installed instead of the usual 12V deep cycle RV battery.

3. GD does not do a "smoke test". However, if you've ever had a leaking rig, you'd sure appreciate them catching the leak right at the start instead of waiting for water intrusion and potential damage.

We all pay for PDI whether it's broken out as a separate charge or inclusive of the price the dealer is charging you. If it's done right, you can figure 6-8 hours of labor to do this. At $100-$125 per hour, it is a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. My dealer did a poor job on the PDI, and I came up with a whole checklist of items they missed. Most of them were things like dirt and scratches that likely occurred after the rig left the factory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A number of years ago I documented the construction of a manufactured home (from construction through placement) for a publication in Oregon. Before the clean-up step (which was before they sealed the halves up in plastic for delivery - the thing looked like a mess. Drywall dust everywhere, texture material splattered all over, you name it. This particular manufacturer had that clean-up step, and that crew got it looking really good for delivery.

Then the two halves were driven from Silverton, OR to Sherwood, OR - essentially a straight shot up I-5.

When it arrived, there were cracks in the drywall, damage to cabinets, and other issues that popped up in that relatively short road trip. But the finish crew fixed everything up very nicely. You'd never have known any of that damage was there.

The advantage that RV makers have is that it is essentially designed to be complete on leaving the factory, but many leave it up to the dealer to finish it out in terms of cleanup and issues. Grand Design is doing their own PDI and I would say it helps. The 385TH that was on display at the last RV show in Salt Lake City was really nice. All General RV had to do was clean it up a little more and it was ready for display. The fit and finish were far better than any of the others that we had considered (including Raptor, Voltage, Heartland, and even Tesla - although theirs was closer than any of the others). The folks at General RV said that, in general, there is less to get a Grand Design ready than pretty much anything else they sell.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

mag814
    Thanks TucsonJim. I posted on another page an got many opinions. Similar, in that you pay whether you realize it or not. I guess we were surprised at the cost. This is the first time we have bought new, so we are trying to be aware of added costs above quoted price of rig. So it is nice that we have places like this that we can ask those questions. I never understood the battery thing since it is such a basic need why it would be considered an add on. Your explanation helps. Still we pay so much for PDI and I still see folks with so many issues. How do you really know that your dealer even did the PDI when you are paying top dollar for it? Are you just to take their word for it? We were told our rig had arrived and the inspection had been completed. And we were not advised of the charges prior so it was a shock.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they failed to disclose the costs when you negotiated your deal, I'd think you have a legitimate protest.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also request to see the “receiving inspection” report. This is what the dealer fill out to send to GD to get any defects taken care of and paid for by GD. In many cases the delivery driver has to say with the unit until this report is filled out or the dealer could blame driver damage after the fact.

A copy will be on file with the dealer.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mag814 View Post
    Thanks TucsonJim. I posted on another page an got many opinions. Similar, in that you pay whether you realize it or not. I guess we were surprised at the cost. This is the first time we have bought new, so we are trying to be aware of added costs above quoted price of rig. So it is nice that we have places like this that we can ask those questions. I never understood the battery thing since it is such a basic need why it would be considered an add on. Your explanation helps. Still we pay so much for PDI and I still see folks with so many issues. How do you really know that your dealer even did the PDI when you are paying top dollar for it? Are you just to take their word for it? We were told our rig had arrived and the inspection had been completed. And we were not advised of the charges prior so it was a shock.

You are required to sign the warranty start papers, and that same document should have all the inspections checked off and signed off by a technician.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why the battery wouldn't be included! It has to be......otherwise how can you operate the landing gear or anything else for that matter!!! Our Laredo had a battery when we took delivery, that wasn't even considered an additional option....just part of the package!

I'm curious to see how our PDI compares to yours, Marie!!

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batteries are not included from the manufacturer.

They are installed at the dealer...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

mag814
    Great suggestions! We have our walk through scheduled Monday at 11:00. Getting all our ducks in a row
    🐤🐤🐤