User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    When in campground and hooked to park 50 amp circuit no tingling. Gonna have an electrician install a 50 amp and make sure there is no more tingle.
    Glad you are ok, we were starting to worry! Sounds like your home outlet is electrifying the hot or neutral, either way dangerous and a properly-wired 50A outlet should fix it.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the existing outlet needs to be fixed too

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using a Progressive or Hughes power monitor? That is always my first line of defense for A/C issues..
    2019 Imagine 3170BH
    2020 F-250 XLT 7.3 Gas
    Carleton, MI 48117

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bstreet5 reminds me/us that we all may be assuming that, at minimum, Glen, you have some sort of power monitoring going on on your rig. I have a permanently installed Progressive Industries power monitor installed with a panel meter inside the rig. This means that, even at home, with only 15 amps, that power is measured for faults and potential "hot skin". All the way up to my 50 amp max out at a campsite. There are many ways to get electrocuted. The portable power monitors also provide protection as long as you use them each time you plug in and don't skip, just because it's "only" 15 amp. Be sure to use some sort of power monitoring system, portable or permanent, for safety.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    Imagine tow behind is attached to the truck and plugged into house shore power. When barefoot and especially if a bit damp, I get a very very distinct tingling when I touch trailer metal, like the bumper or door lock.

Any ideas what going on and how to fix it, other than wear shoes with insulation.
    They make a small simple device that you can plug into an outlet to see if wiring is correct. It has three neon lights with a pattern. It is real quick to check all outlets. I have seen neutral and hot reversed on outlets when it was wired up.
    With a meter you should have 120 volts between neutral which is the longer slot in the outlet and hot (the shorter slot). Also same between ground and hot as ground is tied to neutral back at the breaker box. Sounds like a missing ground at outlet and neutral not tied to ground in the trailer so voltage must be induced into the frame. I am not sure they tie neutral and ground together in camper. Also you should have a grounding rod near your meter to your house. Check it to see if it is broken. Maybe the ground for your whole house is floating above ground. Anyway I would start at the outlet your camper is plugged into. I don't think the truck hooked up has anything to do with it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very handy item to keep with/near your electrical cord so you can use it every time you plug into shore power. Just hold it next to the frame, aluminum supports, whatever should be metal and it will tell you if there is a voltage on the surface.

Contact Voltage Tester....

It's good finding a bootleg ground too which most EMS devices won't detect.

And that web site Tigger1 mention should be required reading - http://noshockzone.org/rv-electrical...t-iv-hot-skin/
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesagel View Post
    They make a small simple device that you can plug into an outlet to see if wiring is correct. It has three neon lights with a pattern. It is real quick to check all outlets. I have seen neutral and hot reversed on outlets when it was wired up.
    With a meter you should have 120 volts between neutral which is the longer slot in the outlet and hot (the shorter slot). Also same between ground and hot as ground is tied to neutral back at the breaker box. Sounds like a missing ground at outlet and neutral not tied to ground in the trailer so voltage must be induced into the frame. I am not sure they tie neutral and ground together in camper. Also you should have a grounding rod near your meter to your house. Check it to see if it is broken. Maybe the ground for your whole house is floating above ground. Anyway I would start at the outlet your camper is plugged into. I don't think the truck hooked up has anything to do with it.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...sis-63929.html

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference, ground and neutral in the RV should NOT be bonded. This has to happen at the power source (generator, inverter, shore)

Chassis, AC Ground, and DC negative should all be the same though. When connected to a post, the chassis is then at earth ground through the post wiring.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked my Grand Design Reflection and with it unplugged from my house, neutral is not tied to ground in the camper. So if you have an open ground on the outlet that you are plugged into then the trailer is not grounded and any voltage induced into the trailer ground will tingle you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked my Grand Design Reflection and with it unplugged from my house, neutral is not tied to ground in the camper. So if you have an open ground on the outlet that you are plugged into then the trailer is not grounded and any voltage induced into the trailer ground will tingle you.
    Just to be clear, neutral isn’t supposed to be tied to ground in the trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12