User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you need to fulltime at or near construction lot?

Selling our current house, in process.
    Buying empty land (5-12 acres) with amazing view, in process.

Long term plan is to full time RV at least 3 months a year while traveling across country while spending remainder of year in nearly constructed vacation/retirement home.

To get there, we will have to be near construction and live in RV until new home is finished building...we will put an RV pad in...but to begin with either onsite or at rv campground nearby.

What should we know about full timing before getting started?

We have rented before and have plans to buy a 32ft 6400lb transcend 265bh which is the max our Expedition is reasonable designed for. We can add a f450 second vehicle and go with bigger solitude if that is a much better long term solution.

Construction could last 1-3yrs.

I'm sure many if you have gone through this process. What do you wish someone had told you when you started?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me and I planned on being full time 3 months of the year, I would go for the 450 and Solitude. Not sure what your destinations will look like, but the smaller 32' trailer is better for small parks such as state parks. I'm over 43' and have been to numerous SC state parks without issue. There have only been a couple of places that wouldn't let us get a site, but that has been far from normal.

As for the house, I would try to get the pad, water, electric and sewer setup for the RV so you could stay there. I would think it would be good to keep an eye on things, but it could be noisy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric, water, sewer. Sewer being the hardest. Get those set first, then think about what to park it in/on.

Construction; if you are doing it then you will need a shed/garage/barn etc. If you are building that, then think about RV storage barn to start with.

Traveling for only 3 months. Smaller is better, particularly if you have some place to store the other stuff you won't be using. It's like porridge, hard to decide what's just right.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in a similar situation. We own 10 acres bordering the Cherokee National Forest in East Tennessee. Have owned it for 7 years. Our plan all along was to get everything ready on our property (RV Wise) by the time we retire (this Dec) so we could live in it on our property while our new home gets built. We plan on traveling and living in the 5th wheel 5-6 months out of the year once our home is built as well.
    In preparation we had a 30' x 50' steel barn put in with cement floor. Door height 14.5', interior barn height approx 19' - 20'. Barn was built 2 years ago. Last month we had electric run to the barn (50 Amp ). Had an RV power pole installed outside the barn. We are having a 18' x 48' steel rv/car port built next month. Gravel base. This will be located approx 200-300' from the barn. With these two buildings we will be able to either keep the 5th wheel in the barn or under the car port. Access to 50 amp power at both locations. We also had a well drilled 4 years ago and have access to water at both locations. As far as the black/gray water, we will have a smaller, temporary septic tank put in. Cost of tank approx $1,000. This will will do until we get the house built. Have a circular gravel driveway in already so we can access the barn or carport with the 5th wheel from either direction. Our 5th wheel will be 36' long (GD Momentum 320G).
    Once we start the home build we can live on site in comfort for as long as we need. We do plan on being "part time" full timers for the first 2-3 years. We will be on the road for 6 months and stay on our property (base camp) for 6 months. We started this project about 7 years ago and did a little each year to finish by this Dec. We are fine living on our land as we will only be there (part time) and the trailer has wheels and not a fixed structure. Our place is in the foothills of the mountains and private.
    Everything we had done was top notch as it will be permanent so it was not cheap! We are all set for a home as far as electric, water, etc so some of the pre home building work is done already (everything to code and inspected). As mentioned get water, electric and sewer addressed first as you will need them to live in the trailer.
    Your situation might be different but hope some of this helps. Good Luck!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! Having just been thru a kind of similar experience, let me urge a small bit of caution and why..

Check with the planning / zoning people, inspections, and health department (for well and septic) and make sure that everything and everybody are on the same page and start a paper trail.

Now, here is why. Two years ago we started our now almost completed project. The plan was to move out of the 2800 SF brick house (205), replace a single wide rental trailer with a doublewide (187) and add a 55 X 22 shed for the RV for the Solitude with FHU. 187 and 205 are separate but adjoining properties. 187 was going to be new installation from the septic tank up. My initial round dealt with zoning / planning about structure placements and setbacks, inspections about what permits were needed for the RV shed since it was FHU and closed on 3 sides, and health department about septic since the P/O had installed a system that had already been shot down by the health department. Then he came out to do a site inspection including a perk test and also initiated a repair permit for the septic. The septic permit was spec'ed out for a 4 bedroom house rather than the 3 bedroom double wide, plus a little added in to make sure we would be okay. Then in October or so, all the permits were pulled and we started site prep. Inspections did put a hold on the shed erection until the doublewide was in place and foundation and brick skirting was in place. During this period, the health department inspector was promoted and a new guy just out of college was hired. The first issue was well placement since we didn't know and could not find out where the neighbors septic was, and those set backs. I wasn't thrilled with where we wound up at, but it works out just the same. Then here comes septic. The newbe started pulling cores and wasn't thrilled with the soil, so then with the doublewide set up, and the shed a week away from erection we puts a stop to everything and pulls the septic permit until they can get a rep from the state out for a site inspection. He gets out a week later and does more soil sampling, then we get a revised permit. I knew that we had a high water table (nominally 36-40 inches below) and not great soil, but we had lots of room to work with. Now, it changed to a mound type septic system (which our health department had never seen) and we had the pleasure of having the first on in our county. We adapted and got it done, and also decided to go with a septic pump from the shed to the septic tank rather than having such a long run using gravity. The pump was installed at the same time as the rest of the septic, again with a 4 bedroom system plus a little more. The supervisor came out and when I proudly showed him the new pump, it turned quickly to an Awe %*@* moment. Then I was told that NC has no allowance for adding a RV to a septic system and if connected it counts as a residential structure, and only one structure in our zoning. So then, out comes the tank, pump, and 150 feet or so of 2 inch line. It seems that the initial repair permit and notes were trashed when it was changed to a new installation,
    Edited to add: I think he was on board with what we wanted to do, but then the new guy pointed out....... And the rest is history.

So, long story short (too late), make sure everybody knows what the plan is, and include anything that they may run across when they are doing inspections later.
    Last edited by ThePowells; 09-16-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points, thank you...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with full timing is that you really have to be careful to keep only what you need and use regularly with you. A Transcend isn't going to offer you much in the way of cargo capacity. We started is a Jayco 31 BHS, which I attempted to tow with a 2009 Chevy 1500. That truck was probably about 2000 pounds overloaded on the gross combined weight. So, you're right to look at what your current truck can tow.

That said, I don't know your budget, but you also have to consider how much space you want to full time in. We bought a 2500 thinking we were getting a Reflection TT 315, but fell in love with the 5'er (337). While I don't consider 3 months a year full time, it sounds like you really will be full time until the sticks and bricks is built. If you have the cash to do it, I'd go for a Reflection or Solitude 5'er and the truck to tow it, unless that would put a strain on getting the house built. Also, I wouldn't necessarily buy new. My first year, our water heater failed twice and our fridge failed a few times. For a couple months I ended up putting a residential fridge in a shed on the site I was renting while it got sorted out. While having a warranty was awesome, I could have saved myself about $20k + the aggravation spend dealing with Dometic and GD warranty service by getting a 5th wheel that was less than 5 years old. Take getting screwed around by Dometic out of the equation, and both problems would have been easily fixed by a remote RV repair guy for $1k or less. So, if you like a Reflection or Solitude floor plan, see if it's worth getting it in a 2017 or 18 before you pull the trigger on something new.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post

Long term plan is to full time RV at least 3 months a year while traveling across country while spending remainder of year in nearly constructed vacation/retirement home.

To get there, we will have to be near construction and live in RV until new home is finished building...we will put an RV pad in...but to begin with either onsite or at rv campground nearby.

We have rented before and have plans to buy a 32ft 6400lb transcend 265bh which is the max our Expedition is reasonable designed for. We can add a f450 second vehicle and go with bigger solitude if that is a much better long term solution.

Construction could last 1-3yrs.

I'm sure many if you have gone through this process. What do you wish someone had told you when you started?

The transcend is the lowest level GD, it is not Full-Time rated, intended or built to that level.
    Trying to full time in a little 28' bumper pull would be like prison to me. We tried to have a 28' bumper pull on a seasonal site and my wife and I HATED that thing and dumped it months after buying it new.
    I'm sure a Transcend is a nice entry level unit, but I think you are looking at the complete wrong product for your needs and expectations and that you will hate Grand Design, the unit and deep down... yourself for getting into this mess and losing money to get out of it.

Re-think EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by larry0071; 09-21-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post

Construction could last 1-3yrs. What do you wish someone had told you when you started?
    As far as going part time on camping and building a new vacation home, my best suggestion is to start getting rid of unneeded "stuff." I always am envious of those that have the courage to take such a lifestyle change. (We just have too much furniture, tools, etc.)

And we've built our vacation home on a lake. I don't know if you plan on building the home yourself, however building is a very pressure packed situation and can be a drain on emotions and a marriage. Do not take over 6 months to completely finish that house--even if it means hiring sufficient people to do the work.

I would suggest first building a large garage with a large concrete pad for your RV next to it. Nothing better than having storage where you can stage out your construction supplies.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update-
    Found potential property

9 acre lot near top of high hill that can just barely see the Pacific Ocean and has a 360 overview of neighboring natural preserve and San Diego wildlife. Land is protected by private road that is mostly isolated with 60k sq ft flat construction pad and utilities already on lot with huge 7 bedroom septic system installed. Current owner had permits and plans for 8k sqft home. Only 2.5 acres of lot is buildable and most of 9 acres is required to be only minimally modified. Community plans limit all future home building.

Will be stopping by local grand design dealer tomorrow. Last time they had no rvs in stock to show.. I will see whatever they have.

Biggest concern if we get a solitude is that it's so massive, we've only driven 15-23ft travel trailers so far and thought 33ft 265bh was pushing boundaries of our confidence. Never done 5th wheel. Not to mention getting f450 when already have expedition large F150 based suv and ranger midsize truck for towing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marlowefamily; 09-24-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast