Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post
    Update-
    Found potential property

9 acre lot near top of high hill that can just barely see the Pacific Ocean and has a 360 overview of neighboring natural preserve and San Diego wildlife. Land is protected by private road that is mostly isolated with 60k sq ft flat construction pad and utilities already on lot with huge 7 bedroom septic system installed. Current owner had permits and plans for 8k sqft home. Only 2.5 acres of lot is buildable and most of 9 acres is required to be only minimally modified. Community plans limit all future home building.

Will be stopping by local grand design dealer tomorrow. Last time they had no rvs in stock to show.. I will see whatever they have.

Biggest concern if we get a solitude is that it's so massive, we've only driven 15-23ft travel trailers so far and thought 33ft 265bh was pushing boundaries of our confidence. Never done 5th wheel. Not to mention getting f450 when already have expedition large F150 based suv and ranger midsize truck for towing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Take a look at the 337RLS or the 303. Good floor plans. Can be pulled with an F350 SRW, which is more of a construction vehicle than your Expedition SUV (unless you need the seats). Find a used one to save money (get it inspected!) Build your house!
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we currently have Ford ranger and platinum 4x4 expedition with max tow and might have access occasionally to a diesel f150 or f250, but none of them are currently setup for fifth wheel. Construction estimates are pushing me towards avoiding getting superduty, but maybe can find cheap used....

Kids and wife emphasized that they want one or two trailers with lots of room for dogs, studying and/or working, with books and computers. Older kids like idea of privacy and sharing small trailer among themselves. One of them only likes toy hauler. We looked at momentums(377th, etc)...

It would be nice, but isnt required to have clothes washer. Impossible to meet all these requests in single trailer, especially in non 5th wheel form.

If we went fifth wheel, only design that might work without being crowded or sacrificing functionality would be Momentum 398M?

Looks like it can fit several beds and desks/tables...while being pleasant. Probably ludricously expensive though....especially paired with new f450.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/398m

265bh in person wowed us. Dealer says they will have one in stock soon. All ordered this year ended up selling before reaching lot.

265bh is probably 1/4 to 1/6 cost of Momentum 398m plus f450.

Can pair with 2nd (cheap?) trailer so that each trailer complements other and holds two people and one dog during home construction and family can move between as needed if they want social contact or undisturbed study time?

Leading contenders:

Imagine xls 24mpr funky small toy hauler? if we put desk in multipurpose room. Smaller design. Can we fit 16ft canoe in this if only during towing and extend from garage into main area...would help me avoid buying a boat trailer since I've gotten tired of straining my back putting this on roof of expedition.

Reflection 312bhs if couch in bunkroom replaced with desk. Includes W/D. Feels like fifth wheel.

Imagine 2670mk with the built in desk, great all in one, much cheaper than reflection or momentum.
    Last edited by marlowefamily; 09-27-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - Purchased both 265bh bunkhouse and 24mpr toy hauler this afternoon for $66,250 combined. Estimated 4 weeks for delivery.
    Last edited by marlowefamily; 09-27-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post
    Update - Purchased both 265bh bunkhouse and 24mpr toy hauler this afternoon for $66,250 combined. Estimated 4 weeks for delivery.
    Have Fun!!!
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck in your endeavors. We are on 3+ years fulltiming while building our house. The house we are building is a barn style and has 14' high doors so I'll be able to store the 5th wheel inside.

We spent the first year dry camping. I installed solar in the trailer, so that and a generator got us through until we got temp power installed. We had a septic service vac our black and gray until we got septic installed. Had to fetch water in a 330 gallon tank on a flatbed trailer until we had our well drilled. We now have power, water, septic and natural gas at the house. Just finished painting and now flooring is going in.

I know you already purchased, but bigger is better. We never planned on being in our trailer this long, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. More space equals happier family. Hopefully your build will go smoother than ours.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing we will build is a workshop in barn style, with a laundry room, bathroom, and small kitchen in the back, and dining area outside.. We will have between 40k-80k of buildable area on the main pad. Bidding between two nearby lots. And then, between 9.5k-14k of only lightly usable land off the pad.

At the moment, we will have 63ft of trailer across 4 people although that's misleading. But it's two people per mid sized trailer. Could have gotten larger trailers but after construction, they might have been too big for us plus 4 people and too dogs would feel tight no matter how big.

As it is, the little toy hauler is perfect for weekend beach/lake camping and the bunk house should be perfect for cross country road trips especially with just wife and I.

If we start feeling claustrophobic... we could change things up later, trailers certainly arent depreciating very fast at the moment...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12