User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Lancaster PA with our camping group a few weeks back during the week. Ours was the third Tundra there. One was towing a fifth wheel, not GD, but looked to be about the size of the Reflection 150 Series 240RL or 260RD.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Really and where did you get your information from. I towed with a Tundra for 11 years and much heavier than the OP. My Reflection had a hitch weight of 1400 lbs and never needed anything but WDH. I was fully able to get all of the weight back on the front end and never had any control or porpoising issues. Tundra suspension is not soft. Had 2000 lbs of dirt in the box and still had lots of clearance to the bump stops. My Sierra had 400 lbs more payload and squatted more than the Tundra ever did. Towed well over 50,000 miles with the Tundra and it was an awesome tow vehicle and nearly bought another one except DW wants a 14,000 lb 5th wheel in the next few years.

I could be wrong but seems to me that you have never driven a Tundra let alone towed with one and just regurgitating information without first had experience.

To the OP be very careful of the information that you hear from people on the Tundra that have never driven one or towed with one. It is a very capable tow vehicle and I suspect that you would be happy with it for the trailer that you will tow.

Rob
    I'm sorry that you have taken this so personally. You would be very wrong about my experience with the Tundra. I feel the same about the F150 as well. I stand by what I said.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    I'm sorry that you have taken this so personally. You would be very wrong about my experience with the Tundra. I feel the same about the F150 as well. I stand by what I said.
    Sorry if it came off as taking it personally. Was not intended that way. Guess we just have a different experience with the Tundra it seems.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the Imagine General section of the forum. There are numerous posts with cat scale weights of a 1/2 ton towing a 2600rb. You do need to dig deep because that section of the forum gets a lot of posts. Here is my cat scale post with a fairly detailed write up.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Scale-weights
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will chime in as a the former owner of 2 Tundras. First was an 06 Crew Cab last of the old body and most recently a 2018 Crew Max. I got the newer one to tow our Passport 175bh 3200lbs dry. That was my first TT but I had logged many miles towing lots of boats in the 3-5k lb range...much different experience towing the TT. The Tundra was fine and never had any real problems as this TT was well within its limits. My opinion based on roughly 12k miles towing the Passport and other various loads, I wanted a more capable truck if we were going to go any bigger than 2400 series TT (@5k lbs dry). I'm sure the truck will tow it and each person has their own comfort level...based on my personal experience, it would be outside of mine.
    Last edited by bigdaddydb; 09-15-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Location Ohio
    Tow Vehicle 2020 GMC AT4 Diesel 6'9" bed
    Considering 2021 Reflection 150 268BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I don't know much about your TV but I know for sure that I travel to a lot of campsites and I see very few Tundra TV's. I'm not sure why this is but, my logic is: If the vast majority are Ford, Ram, and GM, there must be a good reason. Thats just my .02
    I see plenty of Tundra's towing TT's & 5th wheels. Just had 4 of them at the last campground I was at. Most of the big 3 were 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, not many 1/2 tons at all. Toyota only makes 1/2 tons. This is a big reason why.
    I tow a 295rl 5th wheel with no issues, truck does great.
    Logic is that Toyota only produces so many a year, a lot less then the big 3. The Tundra was designed to tow 10,000 pounds all day long. The big 3 can't say the same. Only there HD models can. Most 150's on the road only tow 7,000 or so. People also think the Tundra is not American made (its #2 in line) when they beat out Chevy 1/2 tons (=Mexican/China parts) and ram in the line up. Ford holds the #1 spot in American made. I know a few people who would love to own a Tundra but won't cause the family makes fun of them. Everyone has a reason.
    The Tundra set the bar in 1/2 pick ups when they redesigned in 07, its a little dated now but just as reliably as day one. Its a great truck, just not for everyone.

Happy Camping

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m glad that you are doing well with your Tundra. I’m sure that the Toyota folks know precisely what they are doing. I’m guessing that they plan the production number of each model in relation to the number that they can predict, as accurately as possible, that they can sell. I imagine that one goal would be to not produce more than can be sold. So I guess a valuable question might be, why is that number so low compared to the big 3?

Should the general RV public demand, for Tundra as a TV, increase be seen by Toyota, I can’t imagine that Toyota would not immediately ramp up production to meet demand, however, as you mentioned the production numbers do not come close to the big 3. If my reason is not correct, that’s ok because you can be assured that there IS a reason. I’m not confident that you know some sort of little-known towing information or secret about Tundra’s that the RV community is not privy to.

I have personally seen a Ton of F-150’s towing light(er) TT’s with great success as reported by personal conversations, but that fact does not mean that your Tundra is not doing well for you.

As long as your TV is taking you safely where you want to go, that’s all that should be important. If you are satisfied, that’s all that matters. I had a friend tell me one time years ago “look, my mind is made up, so don’t try to confuse me with the facts”. He’s happy, and I’m happy that he’s happy. Travel safe.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I’m glad that you are doing well with your Tundra. I’m sure that the Toyota folks know precisely what they are doing. I’m guessing that they plan the production number of each model in relation to the number that they can predict, as accurately as possible, that they can sell. I imagine that one goal would be to not produce more than can be sold. So I guess a valuable question might be, why is that number so low compared to the big 3?

Should the general RV public demand, for Tundra as a TV, increase be seen by Toyota, I can’t imagine that Toyota would not immediately ramp up production to meet demand, however, as you mentioned the production numbers do not come close to the big 3. If my reason is not correct, that’s ok because you can be assured that there IS a reason. I’m not confident that you know some sort of little-known towing information or secret about Tundra’s that the RV community is not privy to.

I have personally seen a Ton of F-150’s towing light(er) TT’s with great success as reported by personal conversations, but that fact does not mean that your Tundra is not doing well for you.

As long as your TV is taking you safely where you want to go, that’s all that should be important. If you are satisfied, that’s all that matters. I had a friend tell me one time years ago “look, my mind is made up, so don’t try to confuse me with the facts”. He’s happy, and I’m happy that he’s happy. Travel safe.
    Actually Dave Toyota has maxed out production of the Tundra's at the plant in Texas that they produce the Tundra and Tacoma trucks. I am sure though if they could justify another plant to sell more of them they probably would.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Dave Toyota has maxed out production of the Tundra's at the plant in Texas that they produce the Tundra and Tacoma trucks. I am sure though if they could justify another plant to sell more of them they probably would.

Rob
    They are moving production of the Tacoma to Mexico for the introduction of the new Tundra. But they make production match demand (within limits), not the other way around. The Tundra has not reached sales expectations since the big redesign 10+ years ago, but the Tacoma has surpassed, so the plant has kept going strong. It’s easy to find documentation of sales not meeting expectations. Lots of possible reasons why, and not to be ignored is brand loyalty in trucks.

As far as reliability, yes and no. Lots of problems back when it was introduced, some major. Most ironed out fairly quickly. Toyota (and most) do constant upgrades, and with an old design the issues are pretty much ironed out now. IMO the drive to constantly innovate is part of what sometimes hurts the big 3. Just one example: Ford has introduced 10 new or significantly revised motors in the F150 since Toyota built the 5.7. That motor did help drive some of the innovation we have seen, especially at first upping power numbers. Competition is good.

It’s easy to get sucked into a fanboy group, or a hater group. Just look at facts. It was a more capable truck than many of the big 3 half tons 10 years ago. Now, apples to apples, big motor to big motor, it’s comparable but no more capable. Toyota not making a 3/4 ton truck doesn’t mean you should just ignore ratings and exceed limits. It would be fair to compare a Tundra’s capabilities to any current half ton on the market.

I won’t comment on country of origin except to say all factors matter. Including where the company itself is based and where the profit goes. Where design is done. Parts, assembly, etc. Some care about union workers. Everyone has their own basis there and we may differ, and that’s alright. Toyota has invested a lot in the country and that’s a good thing.

To the OP:
    All of that to say the truck you have is a fine hauling truck, but like has been repeated in just about every post on this forum regarding ‘can I pull xx trailer with xx truck’, the numbers don’t lie. Once the numbers are in, comfort is next. The answers seem mixed on that one with your intended trailer.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 10-04-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Greetings Rob. I can hear it now in the Boardroom. "Ok managers, if we could only produce more, we would sell more" Sorry Rob, that's not how it works. The executives know from experience, with very dependable accuracy, how to estimate the production needs for the future. They would not commit retail suicide by producing more than their selling data is predicting. So the reason they sell less than the big three is simply because the demand for the product in question is equally less. Example: when I was a buyer and retail operator in the Jewelry industry and I knew from experience that I could not sell more than, lets just say, 18 diamond and sapphire bracelets in the 1500-2500$ range during the holiday selling season, would I call my vendor for this item in September or October and order 36 of these bracelets? Nope. So Toyota is not going to produce more than they can accurately predict will be ordered by the retail dealerships. You can rest assured that if demand were to suddenly sky rocket for the Tundra's (for whatever reason), Toyota would execute contingency plan 'b' (which they for-sure have in stand-by mode) and start pumping them out. The additional plant you refer to is not currently justified based on current sales, which is why it currently does not exist. Maxed out production is usually caused by maxed out demand, regardless of the product. Just my 2 cents, I suppose I could be completely wrong. Travel Safe!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast