User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Norcalrv1

Fresh water tank overflow

I have asked the factory with no results, maybe someone knows the answer. Our fresh water tank fills and then often when water starts to run out the overflow it run for a long time. Today the tank was 2/3 full, I filled it and the indicator said full and then the water started to run out the overflow. It ran and ran until the tank was 2/3 full. Everything that I put into the tank ran out. The mfg. of the tank has never heard of this. It certainly is not air. I just don't get it. Anybody got any ideas.
    Thanks
    Rod Zebb
    2014 337 RLS 263
    2014 RAM 3500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I stop filling the tank as soon as overflow occurs, not much comes out the overflow and the level indicator shows full IF the camper is on level ground. If filling the FW tank while sloped F to B, it can overflow before it's full. If the location of the overflow and the tank level sensors are on opposite sides of the tank and not level, that may explain what you see.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I get the exact same issue. Once it starts to flow, I shut off the water, but it overflows for quite a while. I think what is happening, is that the tank is swelling while water is going in. Then, for a while, it shrinks back down a little and the water continues to flow out. But I could be completely wrong on that.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that the overflow line is inserted too far into the top of the tank. Once you fill the tank all the way to the top, it begins to overflow which starts a "syphon" action in the overflow line which will continue until the tank drains down until the end of the overflow line is above the water level.

To make this theory viable requires another way for air to get into the water tank. Is this what the "vent" opening in the lower right of the Anderson panel does ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1473
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Norcalrv1
    Great theories. Who knows? Yesterday I filled the tank and as soon as it started to flow out of the overflow I stopped putting water into the tank. I would guess that 15 gallons ran out onto the ground. That is really handy when you are in the desert and hauling water. I submitted a theory to GD that it is the seals on the water valve that are not sealing and that a vacuum is set up when filling and when the valves are turned that air enters the system thereby releasing the vacuum and the water runs out. They said that I am exactly right. But, who knows. We are going to replace the water valve when we get to Texas in March and see what happens. We have already replaced the valve because the seals were not working and causing us all kinds of problems.
    Thanks for all or your inputs, stay tuned we will see if the new valve fixes the problem.
    Rod Zebb

Norcalrv1
    Excellent theory, Jim. You may be exactly right. The problem is that I have never had this problem before on two other RVs. The tank fills a little runs out and you are done. I think at least 15 gallons ran out yesterday. The tank mfg. has never heard of this.
    We have had considerable trouble with the water valve, it was replaced in Cheyenne, WY and the guy who fixed it said that it was installed wrong. We had hot water into the cold water lines and 1/3 of the water was going into the fresh water tank and overflowing when it was all supposed to be going into the inside plumbing. That got me in all kinds of trouble.
    Guess we will try a new valve.
    Thanks for your input.
    Rod

Norcalrv1
    I have asked for a schematic of the valve to see if I can figure this out. It is an Anderson Brass Manifold valve, the website does not show our valve. 15 gallons is a lot of water to lose and makes a mess in the RV parks. I have heard all about it.
    Stay tuned.
    Rod

Norcalrv1
    Dave, thanks. I do the things, I have had RVs before and never seen this. Yesterday I think at least 15 gallons ran out. Something wrong with that picture.
    Rod

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I can't provide helpful information on this problem, but I did want to let folks know I also have the exact same problem. Several people have observed my 303 being filled up at the water fill station as one enters the campgrounds of Montauk State Park, MO and commented that I must have a hole in my water tank because once the overflow starts then it will discharge at least 10-15 gals. I have had to just shrug and say so far there has been no solution found.
    3 previous RV's I've had never had this issue. I will be interested in knowing what the solution is.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

agoutdoors
    I believe I noticed this yesterday also when I filled my tank until the overflow started, I also filled the hot water tank and made sure water was coming out all facets, toilets, etc... before filling one last time to overflow. Today when I walked in it was show 2/3 full. This was my first time filling it up.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast