User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing 2020 Solitude

First time winterizing a 5th wheel,2020Solitude 310GK, so how many gallons of RV antifreeze do I need?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2200 View Post
    First time winterizing a 5th wheel,2020Solitude 310GK, so how many gallons of RV antifreeze do I need?
    More than three and less than four, in my experience. That includes getting pure antifreeze out of all fixtures (including the outside sprayer attachments and the outlets for the washer that we don't have) and dumping cups of it into drains.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2200 View Post
    Just finished winterizing our 310GK. I blew out the system with air first, then ran the anti-freeze. I used 3 gallons. With that being said, remember anti-freeze is cheap, plumbing is a pain (and/or $$$) to to fix. If in doubt, use another gallon

A few tips;

1) Use anti-freeze with glycol. That will help lubricate the rubber (seals) in the water system.
    2) Be sure the water heater is bypassed. I pull the anode and drain the tank (leave the anode out) before blowing out or pumping anti-freeze. I turn off the water heater electrical switch (next to the anode) at this time. Just remember to turn it back on next spring.
    3) Remove the water filter cartridge, fill the housing with antifreeze and reassemble the water filter housing before priming the pump
    4) Open the low point drains (right in the docking station bay) to help the water pump prime with anti-freeze
    5) There is a handy water pump switch on the Nautilus panel (upper left corner) that comes in handy to start/stop the pump when winterizing.
    6) I leave a fair amount of anti-freeze in the toilet (3~4 times the normal amount of water) as it evaporates over the winter (here in Colorado (dry))
    7) Remember ALL the ports as @boyscout said.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 09-14-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be that time of year! I did a search in winterizing and lots of discussion. This'll be the first year for me to learn how to do it. While watching a video, my wife says, "I don't want that pink stuff in the pipes!". I have the fitting and compressor to blow the air out. I realize antifreeze is still needed in the drains. So specifically for a Solitude, any special quirks to be aware of when trying to winterize by blowing air only? Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Must be that time of year! I did a search in winterizing and lots of discussion. This'll be the first year for me to learn how to do it. While watching a video, my wife says, "I don't want that pink stuff in the pipes!". I have the fitting and compressor to blow the air out. I realize antifreeze is still needed in the drains. So specifically for a Solitude, any special quirks to be aware of when trying to winterize by blowing air only? Thanks!
    Use regulated air pressure, 20-30 pounds only. Yes, that's less than the 40-50psi that we permit for water in the same system, but I'm advised by a plumbing guru and engineer that 40-50 psi air pressure is more stressful on the plumbing than the same level of water pressure. Something in the plumbing could let go. You can get a regulator at Home Depot, etc., for about $25.

I know how wives can be but your wife is bucking years of experience by millions of people in saying she doesn't want the pink stuff in the pipes.

I blow out AND add antifreeze and the pink stuff does NOT always immediately come out of the faucets. After blowing there is often still some pockets of water in the lines, and since I don't know where it is I like flushing it out with antifreeze after blowing the lines until I get a full-pink flow from the fixtures.

You won't be the first person to ONLY blow out - a few others here have said they've done it for years - but antifreeze is so cheap and filling the lines with it takes about 15 minutes or less... just seems worth it to me.

In the spring, just hook up somewhere with water and sewer and simply run water until it's clean and tanks are well-filled, then dump. Not hard work and it takes about as long as it takes to drink a beer. Your wife won't die; mine hasn't.

Don't forget the outside faucets / spray connectors and the washing machine lines, and don't forget to remove the filter basket from the pump when you're done.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ 2x I second everything @boyscout says. Blowing out the lines does NOT get the water out of the water pump nor all areas of the nautilus panel. Also, you need to be sure to get all the lines (outside connections (2x on Solitude) and the washer lines) even if you do not use them.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK- I’m a believer in the anti freeze! Better solution would be to just move somewhere that doesn’t freeze - we’re working on that! Thanks for the comments!!!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And dont forget to cycle the ice maker if you have one. There is a button on the icemaker for that.