User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-Track install tips

Hey everyone, I have an e-track setup I’m going to install in my 381m the full length of the garage floor along each side. It will be for both motorcycles or a side-by-side (I wish both fit haha).

From anyone that’s installed it in their toy hauler, any tips or anything you wished you would’ve done differently?

I’m hoping I can install it, well enough, through the 5/8” wood floor and try to hit some metal cross beams as well.
    Hoping I don’t have to drop the coroplast and deal with all that.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jaime
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    Hey everyone, I have an e-track setup I’m going to install in my 381m the full length of the garage floor along each side. It will be for both motorcycles or a side-by-side (I wish both fit haha).

From anyone that’s installed it in their toy hauler, any tips or anything you wished you would’ve done differently?

I’m hoping I can install it, well enough, through the 5/8” wood floor and try to hit some metal cross beams as well.

Jaime
    Are you sure that the floor is only 5/8" thick? Most all of the Grand Design Toy Haulers have a 1" thick plywood floor.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Are you sure that the floor is only 5/8" thick? Most all of the Grand Design Toy Haulers have a 1" thick plywood floor.
    Sure? Nope haha. But that’s what GD told me. Now I should call back to verify
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure? Nope haha. But that’s what GD told me. Now I should call back to verify
    I'm not sure who the "GD" person was that told you 5/8" for the garage floor, but I'm 99.9% sure that they are WRONG. I'm going to attach a picture in this post of the setup that I have for my Can Am Spyder, utilizing etrack to strap the front wheels down. My setup is as follows. I put down a piece of 3/4" thick treated plywood on the floor in the garage area. It is the width of the trailer inside and falls just short of going all the way from side to side. Inside measurements was around 98" and the plywood is obviously 96". I drilled through the floor of the garage and the plywood and then into the top flange of the 12" I beam main frame of the trailer and bolted the 3/4" plywood down to the floor....with a 3/8" machine bolt on each corner of the plywood. So the plywood is bolted to the frame in 4 places. I then attached the strips of etrack to the plywood with #14 wood screws that were 3/4" long. If you look closely, I put a screw in EVERY hole in the pieces of etrack. I normally don't use every hole when I'm bolting etrack and bolting all the way through to the other side and using nuts on the bottom, but in this case, I'm using BIG wood screws and not nuts and machine screws, thus the reason I put one in every single hole of both pieces of the etrack. The result of course is that I only have 4 holes in the floor of the garage (the bolts holding the plywood down to the frame) instead of a bunch of holes holding the etrack down. This is what has worked for me, and of course it's a lot more time to install and added expense, but I really didn't want a bunch of holes in the floor that went all the way through. And just for info purpose......the floor of the trailer in the garage area was DEFINITELY 1" thick plywood.

Here is the pic.....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the setup xrated! I saw your Spyder on the tie downs in another thread. Looks great. I'm going to be in this same situation when I get me 31G. I want to do 4 pieces of E track so I can strap over all 4 wheels on our Honda Talon SXS. I use that system in our open trailer now. Considering the floor is 1" I can't imagine that lag screws through every hole into that flooring would not be sufficient. Is that flawed thinking? Is there some reason that screws in the GD flooring is a bad plan? We will be using the garage for living space. We optioned the party deck and the 3 season rear doors. I feel like if we can screw the E tack directly to the floor and cover with a rug there will be less trip hazard. Any opinions or suggests are welcomed.

Thanks for the post FirstAscent! Very timely!
    Last edited by TerryH; 09-16-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaime
    I’ll have to take some pictures but I have exactly the install you are describing. You will need 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch bolts.

I removed the factory installed D rings and filled the holes left with a two part epoxy then mounted the track. I did hit the braces under the floor and in spots were I did not hit the braces, I bought 2” by 3/16 aluminum stock to make baking plates. The backing plates are slightly wider than the track. I through bolted the tracks using the first two holes on each side of the track at each end then every 3rd set of holes. Between spots where I hit the metal braces under the floor I alternated between backing plates and large fender washers on the floor. Regardless, the holes were sealed with black silicon on every bolt hole. It is quite solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Love the setup xrated! I saw your Spyder on the tie downs in another thread. Looks great. I'm going to be in this same situation when I get me 31G. I want to do 4 pieces of E track so I can strap over all 4 wheels on our Honda Talon SXS. I use that system in our open trailer now. Considering the floor is 1" I can't imagine that lag screws through every hole into that flooring would not be sufficient. Is that flawed thinking? Is there some reason that screws in the GD flooring is a bad plan? We will be using the garage for living space. We optioned the party deck and the 3 season rear doors. I feel like if we can screw the E tack directly to the floor and cover with a rug there will be less trip hazard. Any opinions or suggests are welcomed.

Tanks for the post FirstAscent! Very timely!
    Thank you sir.....I appreciate that. The biggest issue with through bolts in the garage area of a toy hauler is that they are almost impossible to get to the bottom side of the floor to put on backer washers or plates, then the nuts, because the fuel tank or fuel tanks are right there. I've heard of guys actually dropping their fuel tanks in order to have accessibility to the bottom of the floor area. That, is a lot of work. And BTW, using the straps over the wheels is, in my opinion, the safest way to transport something like a SXS or the Spyder. You are going about it the right way for sure.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you sir.....I appreciate that. The biggest issue with through bolts in the garage area of a toy hauler is that they are almost impossible to get to the bottom side of the floor to put on backer washers or plates, then the nuts, because the fuel tank or fuel tanks are right there. I've heard of guys actually dropping their fuel tanks in order to have accessibility to the bottom of the floor area. That, is a lot of work. And BTW, using the straps over the wheels is, in my opinion, the safest way to transport something like a SXS or the Spyder. You are going about it the right way for sure.
    Thanks for the reply. So you think using the lag screws in every hole is sufficient? I can't imagine all those lags failing in anything less than a catastrophic crash of some sort. I had not thought about the fuel tank being right there. I was planning on 1 1/4" lags. Guess I should check the proximity of the tank to the floor before using any lags that would penetrate the bottom of the flooring. I totally agree on the over the tire straps. Best tie down method I've ever used.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So you think using the lag screws in every hole is sufficient? I can't imagine all those lags failing in anything less than a catastrophic crash of some sort. I had not thought about the fuel tank being right there. I was planning on 1 1/4" lags. Guess I should check the proximity of the tank to the floor before using any lags that would penetrate the bottom of the flooring. I totally agree on the over the tire straps. Best tie down method I've ever used.
    Some may disagree with my school of though on this this, but the way I look at it is this. If I'm involved in a serious crash, the force of the tied down vehicle (Spyder in my case) is forward. The Spyder is sitting on top of the etrack and there are lag bolts in every hole. I simply cannot imagine that the etrack with the bike on top of it cause all of the lag bolts to "plow" through the 3/4" treated plywood and move forward. I may be wrong on my way of thinking on this, but I just cannot envision it happening. If I'm involved in an accident where the trailer goes over on it's side or even upside down, the trailer is totaled and most likely the Spyder is too. In that case, it would probably be the least of my worries in that scenario.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you if the tracks are between the frame rails of the camper. However, I put my tracks outside of the frame rails right against the outer walls of the garage. You can easily get to the underside of the floor as none of the tanks etc. extend outside of the frame rails. I intended to take photos of my install but rains from Sally are already here so it’ll have to be probably Friday.

For a Talon or in my case a RZR, this works nicely with wheel bonnets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast