Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 350 SRW or DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

350 SRW or DRW

I am about to trade my 2019 F-250 limited in to pull our 311BHS. The thing is, this truck Is my dream truck. It’s got an 8” lift, with a stack of aftermarket parts and upgrades on it. I have obsessively looked after it, spent waaaaay too much in it, and it’s perfect, it’s going to be hard to let it go. I am looking at 350 platinums in SRW and DRW. Ideally I would get another limited, but a 350. Since the COVID thing however, inventory is non existent. So platinum it is. So here’s my question, what would you trade it in on? A DRW since I’m changing it anyway, or stick with the SRW? Looking for personal opinions as well as actual real world safety and towing. Help! It’s decision time tomorrow.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of it depends on towing frequency, and where you live. A DRW will be way more stable no matter how much or little you tow, not to mention the extra payload. I live in Idaho and have a DRW and it's awful in the winter. It was so awful I bought a Camry as a commuter car and dont drive the truck in the winter unless absolutely necessary. In fact I put maybe 3000 miles on my truck over the last year. I would love to have a SRW truck here, but my 399 is way to heavy to safely consider going to a SRW. I think with the 311 you are good either way. If you live in an area with little or no snow, I say go for the DRW. If doing a lot of towing, def go with the DRW, like I said, it's much more stable and will allow you to upgrade your trailer without needing another new truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in DFW, so very little snow if at all. We may look at the solitude 3950BH as the next one, so what you are saying makes sense, thanks for the reply!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    So here’s my question, what would you trade it in on? A DRW since I’m changing it anyway, or stick with the SRW?
    If you think there is any chance at all that you will get a larger RV at some point, I'd get a DRW. But I'd skip the F-350 DRW and get the F-450. The F-450 has a much better turning radius, heavier brakes, larger tires and axles, etc. It's the real deal as far as DRW trucks go. If you think the 311BHS is about as heavy as you'll go, the F-350 SRW is an excellent truck.

BTW, the 2020 6.7 Powerstroke and 10 speed transmission is a noticeably more potent powertrain than the 2019 in my opinion. I had a 2019 F-350 DRW and I now have a 2020 F-350 Tremor (SRW). This 2020 is a towing beast! It is absolutely amazing to me how much power it has. We towed our 15,000lb Solitude up the Grapevine yesterday and passing slower trucks was effortless. Just amazing. As much as you love your 2019, you will NOT be disappointed with a 2020 and if you want something that has a small factory lift and larger tires, the Tremor is a nice option.

My 2020 Tremor works great for my small Solitude but if I ever get something like a Momentum, I will be getting an F-450 to tow it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tremor and 310GK-R in parking lot.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	29540
    Last edited by bertschb; 09-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to trade my 2019 F-250 limited in to pull our 311BHS. The thing is, this truck Is my dream truck. It’s got an 8” lift, with a stack of aftermarket parts and upgrades on it. I have obsessively looked after it, spent waaaaay too much in it, and it’s perfect, it’s going to be hard to let it go. I am looking at 350 platinums in SRW and DRW. Ideally I would get another limited, but a 350. Since the COVID thing however, inventory is non existent. So platinum it is. So here’s my question, what would you trade it in on? A DRW since I’m changing it anyway, or stick with the SRW? Looking for personal opinions as well as actual real world safety and towing. Help! It’s decision time tomorrow.
    Since you're considering a DRW F350, I would look at an F450. Yes it's the same motor but most of the rest of the drive train is much bigger. You get true high pressure and heavy duty truck tires ( swap them out with Coopers when they wear out), larger axles, larger gears and pumpkin's, larger brakes, and heavier duty wheels to go with the tires, and a different spring package that gives it a smoother ride when empty. And the ice cream on top of the cake is it's turning radius. Test drive the F350 dually and then the F450 dually you will find the turning radius is night and day difference. It really helps when backing into tight spots, like at Fort Wilderness at Disney world. People couldn't believe we backed our 42 foot fifth wheel in the spot assigned to us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 450 has a 6 foot tighter turning radius than the DRW 350. The brakes are 50% bigger. The half-shafts of the rear axle are heavier duty. But the price you pay is a loss of a rated 500 lbs of payload because of the heavier duty rear axle. The truck has to stay under 14k lbs GVW to remain a light duty Class III truck. As a result, that heavier rear axle takes away from the max payload on paper even though technically this is a heavier duty truck.

The DRW means you can't use automated car washes ever. Folks say it's hard to go through a fast food drive through, but I haven't tried. 22 ft long and 8 ft wide means if you're trying to park in a crowded city, it'll be a frustrating challenge. But then again your 250 isn't exactly a tiny truck either.

The advantage of the DRW is the stability towing. There's hardly any lean when you're cornering. That back end just grips and grips. I have driven through dust devils and moderately high crosswinds with our trailer in tow, without ever being knocked out of our lane. I never have to worry about that blast of air moving us over if a big semi double trailer blows by us. This truck just makes towing a less stressful experience.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with comments above regarding the stability of towing with a DRW. I have a DRW 350 and use it as a daily driver. I don't find driving it an issue, but parking can be a challenge. Nothing that I can't live with, but some parking decks and tight spaces in older cities can limit options. I have heard folks say here they would never want a truck they can't park in their garage. I can't fit in mine (but I don't care), so this is another factor to consider what will work for you.

On to the 450 versus 350. I have driven a friend's 450 and used it to pull my rig. To me, I didn't feel much difference in braking or ride; both vehicles pull my 379 with ease. To be fair, I did not experience a sudden stop with the 450, and certainly welcome the enhancements mentioned; I am simply saying you may not notice a difference if you test ride both. That said, as mentioned above, turning radius delta is significant; you will immediately feel that. Based on that alone, if i were buying again, I would get the 450.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments from you all! I can't find a 450 in the platinum or limited trim. We need something quick, so I am inclined to get the 350 DRW, and then trade up when the new model 450 DRW comes out.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in DFW, so very little snow if at all. We may look at the solitude 3950BH as the next one, so what you are saying makes sense, thanks for the reply!
    The 3950BH will put about 3,800 lbs. on the pin loaded (the advertised pin weights are empty weights). The higher the truck trim level, the lower the payload for any given configuration. So, whatever you decide, make sure you have enough truck payload left over after subtracting for passengers, the hitch, "stuff," etc. You may end up in DRW territory.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments from you all! I can't find a 450 in the platinum or limited trim. We need something quick, so I am inclined to get the 350 DRW, and then trade up when the new model 450 DRW comes out.
    If you're dealing with a good dealer ask them to get on their locater system and find one in Texas, someone will have one I'd bet. They should be willing to do a dealer transfer for you. The difference in truck is huge! I love mine
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast