User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 5th wheel hitch question

I'll get to my question but first a little background...thanks in advance for you replies! I've never owned a fifth wheel or even seen one in action other than videos so it's difficult to picture how all of this works. My wife and I just sold our 175 bunkhouse TT that we pulled with a Tundra that went back on lease. We made the decision to upgrade well over a year ago and the Momentum 21g and 25g toy haulers caught my attention which brought us to Grand Design. Have since decided against the TH and we are 98% of the way there to pulling the trigger on a Reflection 150 268bh. Research on towing the bigger TT or small 5'er landed me on my new truck which is a 2020 GMC 2500 AT4 diesel with a 6'9" bed. The truck has the 5th wheel/Gooseneck prep package with the cutouts in the bed and came with a $500+ hitch package that is the ball and anchors that attach to the connection points in the cutouts for a gooseneck trailer.

Here's the question...Does anyone have this setup and what hitch did you go with, or if you had this truck with the above listed equipment looking at the 268bh with the turning point pinbox, what hitch would you recommend or what hitch are you using with a similar truck. I know there are a million options and that opinions will vary, but from what I understand, the setup on the new gen GMC is different for this year and the 268 is on the smaller side of 5th wheels. Looking for ease of use, portability, and anything that will take the best advantage of my existing equipment.

Again, thanks in advance for your response and I'm one excited soon to be Grand Design owner!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strap in for all the different opinions you're about to get.
    I have a 2019 F250 with the short bed pulling a 28bh. Because Ford's short bed is a bit longer than most I went with the Pullrite Superlite 2600. I didn't want a slider because of the weight and didn't trust the steel of the Pullrite more than the aluminum of the Andersen. Although, if the Pullrite didn't exist I would have went the Andersen route. The Pullrite seemed like a good compromise. I can't turn a full 90 degrees, but over the year, haven't needed to. I also liked the fact that you can hitch and unhitch at any angle and you don't have to be perfect. Just close enough. There is a bit of chucking that I'm trying to work out. Nothing that isn't manageable though. I'm not sure if Timbrens will help due to the fact I'm just off my overload springs when hitched up.

So, my choices were going to be Pullrite, Andersen then B&W Companion, in that order.

Good luck
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bigdaddybd - the Reese Goose Box is also a popular choice for those who wish to use the ball in the center hole of your towing prep. package along with the safety chains if this choice requires their use. This option is also approved by Lippert (LCI) the frame manufacturer for GDRVs and many other RV companies. I think they are in bed together.

If you conduct a search on Reese Goose Box you will find several threads and posts. Hopefully some folks that use this will chime in with feedback and share why they chose this vs the other options out there.

There are many good options out there......you are at a good point to learn and conduct your due diligence and decide which is best for your situation.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Andersen. 27RL towers like a dream and does not hit my window. Might do an advanced search in forum on the different MFG’s, lots of info here on all types.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Andersen and love it. Only additional point of thought that I have to offer is that you might want to consider a full one-ton truck. It isn’t hardly any more than the 3/4 ton and gives you a much higher payload. While you might be fine for now, you also may want to plan for other possibilities in the future. While I don’t advocate flipping and upgrading, due to the beating that you take on depreciation, you still might want to be able to move up if, for some reason, you decide to within the time that you own the truck.

I buy for the long run. After 18 months, I’m more than happy with our 303. While I could have pulled it with a 3/4 ton, I opted for the one-ton. More of a margin before you max out the tow unit and I would have the option, should I need, to move up.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, thanks for the input...I think I'm pretty sold on the Andersen at this point. Truck in my driveway so no turning back. I thought about it but the 2500 is plenty and the 3500 was essentially non-existent locally. I know everyone says it but based on the camping we do and the places we go, the 268 is about as big as we would go. I have always leased our vehicles and the truck is not my daily driver so I don't put too many miles on. I bought the truck and figure that with low mileage resale on the diesel at 4-5 yrs against what I paid for it, I'll probably land in the same total cost range of leasing 2 loaded half tons so if I need to upgrade at that point, I'll be OK with it.
    Location Ohio
    Tow Vehicle 2020 GMC AT4 Diesel 6'9" bed
    Considering 2021 Reflection 150 268BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a 2021 303 RLS. We are new to 5th wheel pulling also. We have an F250 shorted. I opted to go Pullrite Autoslider 2700. It weighs 194 lbs. I will use my engine hoist to remove from truck when needed. Hopefully not money well wasted🙃

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    @Bigdaddybd - the Reese Goose Box is also a popular choice for those who wish to use the ball in the center hole of your towing prep. package along with the safety chains if this choice requires their use. This option is also approved by Lippert (LCI) the frame manufacturer for GDRVs and many other RV companies. I think they are in bed together.

If you conduct a search on Reese Goose Box you will find several threads and posts. Hopefully some folks that use this will chime in with feedback and share why they chose this vs the other options out there.

There are many good options out there......you are at a good point to learn and conduct your due diligence and decide which is best for your situation.

Dan
    Dan - the Goosebox wont fit the 150 series due to the turning point pin box unless they found a way to attach it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddydb View Post
    Tom, thanks for the input...I think I'm pretty sold on the Andersen at this point. Truck in my driveway so no turning back. I thought about it but the 2500 is plenty and the 3500 was essentially non-existent locally. I know everyone says it but based on the camping we do and the places we go, the 268 is about as big as we would go. I have always leased our vehicles and the truck is not my daily driver so I don't put too many miles on. I bought the truck and figure that with low mileage resale on the diesel at 4-5 yrs against what I paid for it, I'll probably land in the same total cost range of leasing 2 loaded half tons so if I need to upgrade at that point, I'll be OK with it.
    Some folks are having issues using the Anderson and having bed rail contact from the pin box. Also Anderson is not an approved hitch per Lippert and GD. Why not get a simple stander 5th wheel hitch (Reese B&W etc) and use the pin box turning point feature that is apart of the 150 series.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Some folks are having issues using the Anderson and having bed rail contact from the pin box. Also Anderson is not an approved hitch per Lippert and GD.
    Hmmm, is there an “approved” list of hitches available somewhere?
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast