User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Reflection 150 Series 268BH considerable sway. Why?

Need some fresh ideas here. We have considerable experience towing from the bumper. We've owned four trailers and pulled a lot of miles from Phoenix to Washington State, although first 5th wheel.

The problem: this new GD 268BH Reflection 150 Series pulls horribly so far. Sway and more sway. No wind. Perfect flat roads. Still get sway around some turns and even a pickup truck passing. Pulling from the mountains, uncomfortable.

Specifics: Turning Point pin box tends to be reviewed positively. Wedge is setup perfectly and the correct one for our application. All Turning Point and wedge bolts are at torque settings. My PullRite hitch (20k) is rated much higher than the weight of the trailer. My newer F250 can easily handle tow capacity of 9,500lb RV (loaded) and payload of only 1400lb hitch weight and there's nothing else in the bed of the truck. The RV being nearly new is carrying very little cargo on the interior. Goodyear Endurance tires are set at recommended pressures of 80psi and are always monitored. Truck tires are at recommended 60 and 65psi respectively now from front to rear but I did find the rear tires at 60psi recently and have not towed since adjustment. Tires are all fresh. Trailer is hitched level to truck. Truck has only 16k miles so solid suspension.

Solution? Could it be the newer bunkhouse model layout has too much at the rear with bunks and storage? There's not much personal gear in the rear storage, no more than 150lbs. But, could it be the placement of the gray and/or fresh water tanks in the rear as well? Was trying to figure out the [tanks] layout under this particular model or are all models nearly the same underneath? I have not towed this rig empty of fluids yet, it just came to mind today. The tanks have had fluid in them in all previous tows. Could it be the 1400lbs at the pin is too light in the front and the original build is too heavy in the rear just by the way it was designed?

Btw, my speed when towing is generally 65mph-ish and the truck recently had work done before buying the RV to prevent it from changing lanes involuntarily over bumps which is a common enough problem with the F250. Anyone seen a difference in towing after this Ford warranty fix?

Any other ideas? Thanks.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the first thing i would try, would be to run 80 psi in the rear tires of the truck. As long as they are E rated tires.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken it to a CAT scale and got your weights yet? It might be too light on the pin. GD says that trailer has a GVWR rating of 9995 lbs. 20% of that is a good rule of thumb for pin weight which would be 1900-2000 pounds. I think you said your pin weight was only 1400, that is probably too light for that trailer. Load up the front bay and see if it improves.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    I think the first thing i would try, would be to run 80 psi in the rear tires of the truck. As long as they are E rated tires.
    Yes, they're indeed E rated; stated 80 psi cold on the tires. 65psi recommendation on the truck. Intuitively, this would most certainly help stabilize the ride if this is advisable. The tires feel too soft in the rear when towing. 60 and 80 psi respectively when towing or bring the front tires up as well?
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Have you taken it to a CAT scale and got your weights yet? It might be too light on the pin. GD says that trailer has a GVWR rating of 9995 lbs. 20% of that is a good rule of thumb for pin weight which would be 1900-2000 pounds. I think you said your pin weight was only 1400, that is probably too light for that trailer. Load up the front bay and see if it improves.
    I have not weighed it yet but intend too. Because the numbers are so in line with my capacities I wasn't too worried about it. Although, the hitch in my paperwork is actually only 1274lbs I see now. Light! I did see GD states GVWR 9995 lbs on their website but my paperwork states 9500 lbs. Either way close enough.
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Yes, they're indeed E rated; stated 80 psi cold on the tires. 65psi recommendation on the truck. Intuitively, this would most certainly help stabilize the ride if this is advisable. The tires feel too soft in the rear when towing. 60 and 80 psi respectively when towing or bring the front tires up as well?
    I run mine at 80 in the rear & 65 in the frt
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not weighed it yet but intend too. Because the numbers are so in line with my capacities I wasn't too worried about it. Although, the hitch in my paperwork is actually only 1274lbs I see now. Light! I did see GD states GVWR 9995 lbs on their website but my paperwork states 9500 lbs. Either way close enough.
    We have same 5th wheel with same issue. Did you find a fix for yours.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer filled the fresh water tank before we took delivery on our 2022 3100RD. It towed terribly on the way home with erratic sway. Drained most of the fresh water and it has towed beautifully ever since.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need some fresh ideas here. We have considerable experience towing from the bumper. We've owned four trailers and pulled a lot of miles from Phoenix to Washington State, although first 5th wheel.

The problem: this new GD 268BH Reflection 150 Series pulls horribly so far. Sway and more sway. No wind. Perfect flat roads. Still get sway around some turns and even a pickup truck passing. Pulling from the mountains, uncomfortable.

Specifics: Turning Point pin box tends to be reviewed positively. Wedge is setup perfectly and the correct one for our application. All Turning Point and wedge bolts are at torque settings. My PullRite hitch (20k) is rated much higher than the weight of the trailer. My newer F250 can easily handle tow capacity of 9,500lb RV (loaded) and payload of only 1400lb hitch weight and there's nothing else in the bed of the truck. The RV being nearly new is carrying very little cargo on the interior. Goodyear Endurance tires are set at recommended pressures of 80psi and are always monitored. Truck tires are at recommended 60 and 65psi respectively now from front to rear but I did find the rear tires at 60psi recently and have not towed since adjustment. Tires are all fresh. Trailer is hitched level to truck. Truck has only 16k miles so solid suspension.

Solution? Could it be the newer bunkhouse model layout has too much at the rear with bunks and storage? There's not much personal gear in the rear storage, no more than 150lbs. But, could it be the placement of the gray and/or fresh water tanks in the rear as well? Was trying to figure out the [tanks] layout under this particular model or are all models nearly the same underneath? I have not towed this rig empty of fluids yet, it just came to mind today. The tanks have had fluid in them in all previous tows. Could it be the 1400lbs at the pin is too light in the front and the original build is too heavy in the rear just by the way it was designed?

Btw, my speed when towing is generally 65mph-ish and the truck recently had work done before buying the RV to prevent it from changing lanes involuntarily over bumps which is a common enough problem with the F250. Anyone seen a difference in towing after this Ford warranty fix?

Any other ideas? Thanks.
    I dont pull with a F250, but, my 2013 F150 SCREW w/6.2 did the same thing before I installed dual path AirLift air bags, Bilsteins (5100 adjustable), and a Hellwig anti rear sway bar. That plus the Hankook LTs made that thing ultra stable on highway ruts and poor maintenance, high profile vehicle passing and wind days. Other than the normal gasser downshift uphills, it pulls my 5er pretty much like its not there. We also pull dry as well since we campground camp with full hookups.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 10-24-2021 at 02:54 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also tow with the same rig as the OP. I have not had any sway issue since day one. I run Michelin LTs on the truck and Cooper LTs on the trailer. All tires are run at max cold pressure according to the info on the tires. I have never towed with tanks in any condition but empty.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast