User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lug nut sockets...

So likely a basic/noob question, but I want to carry the correct sized socket for my lug nuts on my trailer and tow vehicle tires...will shallow sockets work or do I need deep sockets?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    So likely a basic/noob question, but I want to carry the correct sized socket for my lug nuts on my trailer and tow vehicle tires...will shallow sockets work or do I need deep sockets?
    Deep socket, 6 point.
    Lug nuts on the aluminum wheels are recessed some and have the thin stainless steel covering on the nuts.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N17CK76/ that I keep under the back seat of my truck along with a torque wrench, breaker bar and 18v impact wrench. The sockets fit the RV and truck wheels fine.

I also have a several 18 volt Makita tools I keep in the trailer and house. In the trailer I have a 18v Makita vacuum cleaner, and a Makita 1/2” drive impact wrench. I’ve used the impact wrench and sockets twice so far, not on my wheels but others I’ve helped.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a set of metric and standard deep impact sockets from Harbor Freight in my truck along with impact extensions, a torque wrench and a Milwaukee 18V 1/2" drive impact wrench. I keep the good impact sockets at home, the HF version is good for the occasional tire change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I have this set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N17CK76/ that I keep under the back seat of my truck along with a torque wrench, breaker bar and 18v impact wrench. The sockets fit the RV and truck wheels fine.

I also have a several 18 volt Makita tools I keep in the trailer and house. In the trailer I have a 18v Makita vacuum cleaner, and a Makita 1/2” drive impact wrench. I’ve used the impact wrench and sockets twice so far, not on my wheels but others I’ve helped.
    Let me add to my posting.

In addition to using the Makita Battery 18v 1/2” impact I use a 100 ft/lb “torque Stick” that limits torque to 100 ft/lbs.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079P885C5/

It’s a great simple solution for both my RV and my truck.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this post is old but I would like to add that we use a makita drill with a 3/4 socket for our stabilizer jacks. A drill is much quieter than an impact and I like to keep it quiet around campgrounds. We also carry an old school XL four way. You can pick one up for under $20 at Walmart and it will work on your tow rig, jack, camper wheels, stabilizers etc. it’s a good piece of mind that you won’t be stranded with dead batteries or a rounded out factory lugnut tool.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone...I bought a deep socket impact socket set and a couple Ryobi One+ tools, drill for jacks, impacts wrench for lug nuts, and vacuum for inside (bug collection). This setup also allows me to check/tighten my hitch bolts/nuts as well (in addition to my breaker bar).