User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maintenance Tips for New Owners

Seems like there are a number of new members over the past several months. I was thinking of a thread that might help them with maintenance items that their manual doesn’t cover or doesn’t cover in detail.

Things like wheel bearings, regular roof inspections, etc. seem to be covered fairly well, but what can our experienced folks share with new RVers that might not be so apparent?

I’ll start off with this one:
    During winterization buy an inexpensive spray wand, like Camco (11691) $10-$12, to clean out the sediment in the hot water tank.

What can you add?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, could even help some of the experienced rvers as well.
    Lube the sldieouts with CRC power lube occasionally, also use baby powder on the slie seals for conditioning and smooth and quiet opening/closing
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the maint program I follow. Its specific to our rig but you get the idea. Simple excel spreadsheet that i keep up to date. After each year I three hole punch it and insert into a 3 ring binder for keeping. The binder goes in the GD black bag we got with our RV. I try to pick one item per day to complete. Keeps me grounded on what I have and have not done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maint pg1.pdf   maint pg2.pdf   maint pg3.pdf   maint pg4.pdf  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    This is the maint program I follow. Its specific to our rig but you get the idea. Simple excel spreadsheet that i keep up to date. After each year I three hole punch it and insert into a 3 ring binder for keeping. The binder goes in the GD black bag we got with our RV. I try to pick one item per day to complete. Keeps me grounded on what I have and have not done.
    Wow. That is a very complete list of maintenance items. Good for pretty much anyone to use, me included.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Steven@147

That’s a very thorough list! Thanks for sharing.

PS - I was just thinking if you ever sold your unit your maintenance records would make a perspective buyer feel confident.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 09-17-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the actual lube points for the Reflection electric slide outs?

I get the goal of keeping the "teeth clean" on the rack and roller. I can see the roller has a bearing to drip a couple drops of oil/lube.

The motors are back behind some rubber, I've never looked back there, is that another lube location?
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem sharing. Some things are specific to our rig like the companion hitch and MORryde pin box torque specs.
    I need to add a maint category to check, we bought a 4 pak of those water leak alarms with remote sensors. I placed one beside the nautilus panel and mounted the sensor to the floor just inside and behind the panel. Number 2 when under the bathroom sink, number 3 went under the kitchen sink. No 4 is a spare. They are battery operated so I have an item to check the units or replace the batteries. Nice place on the maint check list to note the battery type AA, AAA or 9V. I also note part numbers to help keep track ordering replacement parts like the H2O heater anode and when I need to order more stuff like slide seal treatment, PTFE spray and the like.

Its allowed me to find and catch issues before they become problems. It can be a memory jogger, like to check the spare tire and the sewer hose tube under the rearend.
    In our basement, I took the wall out covering the nautilus panel, cut the end off added some simple hinges and made a door out of it, makes it very easy to open up the door and check for water leaks behind the nautilus panel. I can also get a look at the water pump connections, furnace connections and H2O heater connections. At least I know the last time I checked it.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-17-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    Where are the actual lube points for the Reflection electric slide outs?

I get the goal of keeping the "teeth clean" on the rack and roller. I can see the roller has a bearing to drip a couple drops of oil/lube.

The motors are back behind some rubber, I've never looked back there, is that another lube location?
    See this recent thread my post #2 with the link to the LCI video showing where/what to lube on the Schwintek slides.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...lide-Room-Lube

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    @Steven@147

That’s a very thorough list! Thanks for sharing.

PS - I was just thinking if you ever sold your unit your maintenance records would make a perspective buyer feel confident.
    X2 ! - Good list, Steve @Steven147. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Would you mind sharing the excel document?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast