User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same TPMS on my TT and my truck (10 sensors total) I definitely think the flow through sensors are the way to go. I am 66 years old and getting down on my knees and using a tool to take the cap sensors off every time I want to put air in the tires seems to time consuming. As far as the metal valve stems, once I switched I will never go back to rubber. Metal valve stems add support so the stem and do not flop around when adding air. TPMS or not I always install metal valve stems.
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I went the other way. 8 sensors, non flow thru, skipped the fiddly lock nut arrangement and just screwed the sensor on. I've had none come off nor stolen in 2 years of travel. (I'm 68 and bad knees AND I'm lazy...)
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. So I have been doing research (and posting questions on forums) regarding getting a TPMS for my trailer. I have settled on the TST 507 system, but am now wondering if it is worth the cost of getting the rubber valve stems replaced with metal ones to use the flow thru sensors? To have a single display and more info I am also considering have the tow vehicle done as well (even thought it already has a TPMS built in, but only shows current PSI). The cost to swap out the trailer valves is ~$70 and the tow vehicle valves is ~$130.

All said and done I'm looking at 10 tires as I figure I would want to know the status of spares as well (at least to know they are full - my TV spare was down 15 PSI the other day, but it had not been checked in a while)

Thoughts on swapping out the rubber valve stems for metal?

Does anyone have experience with both the cap and flow thru? Are the flow thru that much more convenient to warrant the cost of swapping out the rubber valve stems with metal?

Thank you.
    I had the TST system on my 2012 Tiffin Phaeton motor home with the original puck sensors. When TST came out with the flow through sensors, I bought a set, because it sounded like a good idea. The flow through sensors had problems, the plastic battery doors were always cracking, and you couldn't get an accurate pressure reading through the sensors. After a while the flow through sensors started to go bad, probably because water got in through the cracked battery doors. As the flow through sensors went bad I replaced them with the original puck sensors. When I sold the motor home it had a mixture of sensors, but they all worked. Maybe the flow through sensors are better now, but on my 303rls I have the TST with the standard puck sensors and rubber valve stems.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    Would I have to deflate the tires (and lose the nitro fill) when I set up the TPMS?
    When I initially put mine on, I still had the nitro in the tires. It did not affect the TPMS.
    Last edited by SilentService; 09-26-2020 at 08:59 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    ...Would I have to deflate the tires (and lose the nitro fill) when I set up the TPMS?
    The air you breathe is 78% nitrogen so you won't be losing much when you deflate the tires :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, someone explain the difference in puck VS flow through system.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen and Jerry View Post
    The major difference is that flow through allow you to add air, or take out, without removing the sensor. With the puck style like on my Tire Minder Tm-77 I have to remove the sensor to add air or bleed any off. I haven't found it to be a problem. It's also a good way to ensure my sensors are actually working. When I remove my sensor I get a fast leak and low pressure alarm. If I didn't get the alarm then I know there is an issue with that sensor.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen and Jerry View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H1fC1KcWOE2Mn0

Here's a good video on the difference between the two that come with the TST tpms.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Newera and Bwood for the info. I viewed the utube and found that helpful. I have the pucks for the trailer but have not installed them yet.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwood BBQ View Post
    You will be glad you did! I would suggest to grab a couple extra in case you need one in an emergency situation. I had a blow out on my last trailer and discount tire didn't have an o ring to fit. Luckily I didn't need it. I bought 2 extra this time just in case. Also check the trailer spare. My spare has a standard metal stem since it's just a utility type trailer rim. It's not the pretty aluminium one on the axles.
    Love the idea of getting spare ones. Thanks I hadn't thought of that.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast