User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

change out valve stems for TPMS?

Good afternoon everyone. So I have been doing research (and posting questions on forums) regarding getting a TPMS for my trailer. I have settled on the TST 507 system, but am now wondering if it is worth the cost of getting the rubber valve stems replaced with metal ones to use the flow thru sensors? To have a single display and more info I am also considering have the tow vehicle done as well (even thought it already has a TPMS built in, but only shows current PSI). The cost to swap out the trailer valves is ~$70 and the tow vehicle valves is ~$130.

All said and done I'm looking at 10 tires as I figure I would want to know the status of spares as well (at least to know they are full - my TV spare was down 15 PSI the other day, but it had not been checked in a while)

Thoughts on swapping out the rubber valve stems for metal?

Does anyone have experience with both the cap and flow thru? Are the flow thru that much more convenient to warrant the cost of swapping out the rubber valve stems with metal?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Raife1; 09-17-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think TST says metal for the flow thru. I have the non-flow thru and use the rubber ones. Flow thru are larger and heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep - clarified my question...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the old TST system that required metal valve stems. The stems are very solid and I would feel much more confident with them on either of the TST systems. Just a personal opinion, and not sure if it's worth the change out. The 15" wheels on my 2020 Reflection required metal stems that were different from my previous trailer. I got mine at O'Reilly's Auto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have changed out the stems on both of the units I've had and that was with the lighter non flow through type. I just see it as one less worry I have to deal with.

I have read here and on other forums that the flow through are slow to take air. This is just what I've heard. I've had no issues with the cap style. It's not bad at all to remove them with the little tool they supply. Also some remove the security spin cap so they can just screw on and off. Either way you go your better of than not having either.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the TST507 but use the external cap sensor. I read where the cap sensor on rubber valve stems can cause the valve stem to leak eventually. I guess its the added centrifugal force of the sensor screwed onto the rubber valve stem that causes the rubber to crack or split. Our Solitude wheels have metal valve stems so we didn't have to change them out. Now our Imagine had rubber valve stems.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I bought the cap system, but still plan on swapping out the valve stems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I bought the cap system, but still plan on swapping out the valve stems.
    You will be glad you did! I would suggest to grab a couple extra in case you need one in an emergency situation. I had a blow out on my last trailer and discount tire didn't have an o ring to fit. Luckily I didn't need it. I bought 2 extra this time just in case. Also check the trailer spare. My spare has a standard metal stem since it's just a utility type trailer rim. It's not the pretty aluminium one on the axles.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We have the TST507 but use the external cap sensor. I read where the cap sensor on rubber valve stems can cause the valve stem to leak eventually. I guess its the added centrifugal force of the sensor screwed onto the rubber valve stem that causes the rubber to crack or split. Our Solitude wheels have metal valve stems so we didn't have to change them out. Now our Imagine had rubber valve stems.
    Will be getting a TPMS for new 310GK Solitude. New to the RV experience. Ordering new F-350 which has a trailer TPMS option, but I see it does not monitor temp so I won’t get this option. I want to find the best aftermarket TPMS. Would I have to deflate the tires (and lose the nitro fill) when I set up the TPMS?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperRus View Post
    Will be getting a TPMS for new 310GK Solitude. New to the RV experience. Ordering new F-350 which has a trailer TPMS option, but I see it does not monitor temp so I won’t get this option. I want to find the best aftermarket TPMS. Would I have to deflate the tires (and lose the nitro fill) when I set up the TPMS?
    No you do not have to deflate the tires, just screw the external cap sensors on the valve stems the follow the installation procedures for paring the sensors with the display and then setting the upper and lower heat ranges for the alarms. Each brand of TPMS has their own procedures, its pretty easy to follow.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast