User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    It will be interesting to see how all this goes. I'm sure the other Boys will be dipping their toes into this market as well.
    I will be curious as to the towing range for these trucks.
    It would be interesting if you could use the solar panels on your trailers roof to charge up the truck batteries or extend your towing range.
    Fun fun fun!
    Regarding being able to charge your Electric Truck from your Solar panels on the roof of your RV...

Obviously it will depend on how large your Solar setup is, however, you could easily charge an Electric Truck from your Solar system.

Let's take a look at my Solar system as an example: I have 1200 watts of Solar panels on the roof and ~ 800 amp hours of batteries to charge from them. Once the amount of energy I used since sundown the previous day is replenished, the rest of the Sunshine is wasted because my batteries are full and there is no place to store those extra electrons. So, from a practical standpoint, my batteries are fully charged within a couple of hours on a bright sunny day, the remainder of the day I could be putting that Sunshine into the battery pack of my Electric Truck. The process would be rather simple, I would run a 120v extension cord to the exterior outlet on my camper and plug in the Electric Truck's charger and just watch those Electrons fly into the Electric Truck.

From a practical standpoint, I would want to stop the Electric Truck charging around 5 pm so I could ensure my batteries are topped off before night fall.

This would work well if you were out camping and your Truck would be parked for most of the week, at any rate, any Electric Truck charging you can accomplish will equate to Free Energy direct from the Sun.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power will not be the issue with an electric truck. The torque from electric motors is huge and it is available at 0 rpm. The issue is range and time to charge. I am not going to wait for a couple of hours to charge when traveling.

The battery will need to be large to get any decent range. Charging from solar will not be practical. A Tesla model s has an 85kwh battery. If you have 1kw of panels on your trailer roof it will take a long time. A Tesla super chargers supplies up to 150kw to a single car. It will take a bit less than 2 hours for a full charge on a Tesla car.

Electric trucks will be fine for short/local use.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the Superchargers is unless they acquire more land for them, if you're towing a trailer, you'll have to unhitch, then charge, then hitch up again. That's a major PITA.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec999 View Post
    Power will not be the issue with an electric truck. The torque from electric motors is huge and it is available at 0 rpm. The issue is range and time to charge. I am not going to wait for a couple of hours to charge when traveling.

The battery will need to be large to get any decent range. Charging from solar will not be practical. A Tesla model s has an 85kwh battery. If you have 1kw of panels on your trailer roof it will take a long time. A Tesla super chargers supplies up to 150kw to a single car. It will take a bit less than 2 hours for a full charge on a Tesla car.

Electric trucks will be fine for short/local use.
    The new v3 chargers, which aren't everywhere yet will charge up to 250kw. I imagine the cybertruck will be like the model 3 and accept 250kw charging. The model s tops out at 200 kw. With the size of the cybertrucks battery, even at 250kw, I'm sure you aren't too far off at the 2 hour charge estimate. But you never know. They've already said there will be a totally different battery by the time they release. I can't wait to see what the future holds. Either way, if anderson makes some kind of goofy adapter so I can gooseneck the cybertruck I'll post some pics of me torture testing it pulling doubles to little sahara or St Anthony's. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The problem with the Superchargers is unless they acquire more land for them, if you're towing a trailer, you'll have to unhitch, then charge, then hitch up again. That's a major PITA.
    Remember that tesla and Pete are both releasing their semis soon. I bet we'll see pull through's next year at the truck stops. Maybe they'll be like the normal fuel stops. You can pay more for good electricity at flying j or sinclair. Or you can save a little and get that half water/half electricity at maverick. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point about the Truck Stops installing charging stations. Loves has already announced a partnership with Electrify America to install EV Charging stations at 28 of their Truck Stops by Early 2021. I am certain Pilot will follow suit soon. I think TA will be slow to embrace EV charging, while other chains and independents will also embrace EV Charging in the next few years.

Once the Class 8 trucks start hitting the roads in big numbers you will see Charging Stations on the Trucker's side of the Truck Stops as well. I predict that some large trucking firm will team up with one of the truck stops to install a network of Truck Charging Stations along I-10 to enable their trucks to traverse the nation. Other routes will follow.

I hope that these, Pull through, Truck chargers will have CCS Charging which RVers could also use.

Another note: Electrify America has installed many EV Charging Stations in Walmart parking lots, many of these stations could easily accommodate Pull Through charging for an RV.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gas powered car used to be picked on too. People said they would always be breaking down and running out of gas. I'm sure it was true in the beginning but look at them now.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are worried about the cost of the HPFP on a Ford diesel wait until you price the batteries for one of those trucks. Your HPFP MIGHT fail but you know for a fact that your batteries will only last so long and they will have to be replaced over and over again-

Then add the cost of electricity to charge the batteries and you aren't saving anything. If gas gets back to $4.00 gallon - maybe..........
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    If you are worried about the cost of the HPFP on a Ford diesel wait until you price the batteries for one of those trucks. Your HPFP MIGHT fail but you know for a fact that your batteries will only last so long and they will have to be replaced over and over again-

Then add the cost of electricity to charge the batteries and you aren't saving anything. If gas gets back to $4.00 gallon - maybe..........
    Regarding the batteries on EVs; Every EV manufacturer warranties the Battery Pack for 8 years. If there was a problem with EV Battery Packs failing prematurely, there would be plenty of stories about premature Battery Pack failure in the news because the big auto manufacturers and big oil would make sure everybody knows about it.

So far, there has been one Tesla that has been driven 400,000 miles that had to have the battery pack changed out under Warranty (this vehicle's Warranty was for 8 years, unlimited miles, the newer Teslas have 8 year warranties with a mileage limitation).

Additionally, in just a couple of days (Sept. 22 to be precise) Tesla will be announcing new battery chemistry that will produce batteries capable of driving one million miles!

My Ford truck has a 7 year Drive Train Warranty, after 7 years if I have a major Engine or Transmission repair, I will need to make the personal decision of whether the truck is worth repairing, or not. If I Owned an Electric Truck and had an out-of-warranty Battery Pack failure, I would be faced with the same decision, is it worth repairing.

As far as refueling costs of Diesel VS Electrons: It has been speculated that the largest Battery Pack for the 500 mile range Tesla Cybertruck would be 200kwh, this is double the Model S 100kwh Battery Pack in the P100D Model S.

My Truck holds 48 gallons of Diesel and I can travel ~ 500 miles on a tank without towing. The long range version of the Cybertruck also has a 500 mile range.

To fill my truck up with Diesel would cost me $120 (48 x $2.50 [price I paid yesterday]), to fill the Cybertruck would only cost $26 (200 x .13 [average cost per kwh in the US is 0.13]). It is not going to take me too long to figure out that saving $100 every week (or more often) is going to add up to a whole lot of money saved over the lifetime of the Electric Truck !!! The savings add up even more once you start calculating the savings from not having to do $150 Oil changes, Transmission Oil changes, replace Air Filters and Fuel Filters, Radiator flushes and coolant changes.

Bottom line; EV Battery Packs are very durable and they will not fail as often as the battery in your cell phone. EVs have plenty of power to do the work a truck needs to do and they save you a boat load of money while doing that work better.

Based on the high cost to repair, I would not buy a used Diesel Pickup Truck. However, I would not hesitate to buy a used Electric pickup if they were available today.

For me, EVs can't get here soon enough (including the Tesla Semi, Cybertruck, Rivian, Lordstown Motors, Ford Mustang Mach e and the Electric F150 [followed by Super Duty versions]).

PS: if Diesel gets back to $4.00 a gallon an EV truck would save you even more money: $192 vs $26.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-19-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not worried about batteries having to be replaced. Taxis run Prius and they have proven to last basically forever. The bigger problem is one of convenience. Sure the truck stops may start installing chargers. But it's going to be a long time before there are enough chargers.

And RVers tend to like to go to out of the way places. Where are you going to charge up when you're boondocking in the middle of nowhere. At least with diesel you can throw a few jerry cans in the back for emergency fuel. Installing a solar system capable of recharging an EV is going to take quite a few bucks. That may be the direction we're headed. But that future is quite a bit off in the distance.

For now, I will stick with the convenience of being able to find diesel just about everywhere. If I need a diesel mechanic, they're not hard to find. Heck Ford has dealers basically everywhere.

I admire the guys who want to invest their time and money into making renewable energy for recreational vehicles possible. But I'm not willing to be a beta tester for this kind of stuff.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast