User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they can hit a 200+ mile range while towing and support 30/50 amp charging I'd buy one. With all the torque available from electric it should pull incredibly well, even better than a diesel.

Gotta love the warning the lawyers made them put in...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-23_15-40-08.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	29757

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    At the end of the day the energy density of hydrocarbons is too high compared to current batteries and a gallon of gasoline comes preloaded with energy from the dispenser, unlike a dead battery. Electric cars have been around for over a hundred years, the problem hasn't changed. Until there is a revolution in battery technology it's just not practical for a variety of use cases, certainly interstate travel with a 30 foot trailer is one of those.
    Yup:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...ever-heard-of/
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure doesn’t look like an 8000# trailer!
    Dan
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Toyota Tundra
    Equalizer WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Regarding the batteries on EVs; Every EV manufacturer warranties the Battery Pack for 8 years. If there was a problem with EV Battery Packs failing prematurely, there would be plenty of stories about premature Battery Pack failure in the news because the big auto manufacturers and big oil would make sure everybody knows about it.

So far, there has been one Tesla that has been driven 400,000 miles that had to have the battery pack changed out under Warranty (this vehicle's Warranty was for 8 years, unlimited miles, the newer Teslas have 8 year warranties with a mileage limitation).

Additionally, in just a couple of days (Sept. 22 to be precise) Tesla will be announcing new battery chemistry that will produce batteries capable of driving one million miles!

My Ford truck has a 7 year Drive Train Warranty, after 7 years if I have a major Engine or Transmission repair, I will need to make the personal decision of whether the truck is worth repairing, or not. If I Owned an Electric Truck and had an out-of-warranty Battery Pack failure, I would be faced with the same decision, is it worth repairing.

As far as refueling costs of Diesel VS Electrons: It has been speculated that the largest Battery Pack for the 500 mile range Tesla Cybertruck would be 200kwh, this is double the Model S 100kwh Battery Pack in the P100D Model S.

My Truck holds 48 gallons of Diesel and I can travel ~ 500 miles on a tank without towing. The long range version of the Cybertruck also has a 500 mile range.

To fill my truck up with Diesel would cost me $120 (48 x $2.50 [price I paid yesterday]), to fill the Cybertruck would only cost $26 (200 x .13 [average cost per kwh in the US is 0.13]). It is not going to take me too long to figure out that saving $100 every week (or more often) is going to add up to a whole lot of money saved over the lifetime of the Electric Truck !!! The savings add up even more once you start calculating the savings from not having to do $150 Oil changes, Transmission Oil changes, replace Air Filters and Fuel Filters, Radiator flushes and coolant changes.

Bottom line; EV Battery Packs are very durable and they will not fail as often as the battery in your cell phone. EVs have plenty of power to do the work a truck needs to do and they save you a boat load of money while doing that work better.

Based on the high cost to repair, I would not buy a used Diesel Pickup Truck. However, I would not hesitate to buy a used Electric pickup if they were available today.

For me, EVs can't get here soon enough (including the Tesla Semi, Cybertruck, Rivian, Lordstown Motors, Ford Mustang Mach e and the Electric F150 [followed by Super Duty versions]).

PS: if Diesel gets back to $4.00 a gallon an EV truck would save you even more money: $192 vs $26.
    But just wait until the tree huggers realize the carbon foot print of electric cars is larger than for Dino fuel! It has already been figured by several universities, and it is true with all the lead and chemicals used it is actually more toxic to the environment than fossil fuels!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a relevant video. They do real world testing towing with an electric vehicle. Off Road also. These guys do so good real world testing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvNfmL7XQg
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    But just wait until the tree huggers realize the carbon foot print of electric cars is larger than for Dino fuel! It has already been figured by several universities, and it is true with all the lead and chemicals used it is actually more toxic to the environment than fossil fuels!
    Haha. I have done my research and came to my own conclusion. With the help of many scholarly articles, over 5 years ago. Must be different universities and of course not fox news. I believe different then you. And that is okay. Electric is the way of the future, in my opinion. Maybe not this year. Maybe next, maybe in 5.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The limitations of any electric vehicle is the battery. Technology continues to improve batteries. At least with a pickup truck, they'll have plenty of room between the frame rails midship to put big batteries. With motors at front and rear end, there's also going to be a lot of room in the front hood trunk for storage.

The F150 EV's motors and batteries are already being built in the Mustang Mach E SUV--which has 2021 production sold out. The vehicle's simply a rocket in its fastest trim.

It's going to be interesting where EV's go. California's pushing EV's badly. Too bad their "green" attitudes don't include sufficient electric producing facilities (windmills and solar farms) to produce enough electricity to power all the future EV's. Rolling brown outs are in that state's future.

I just cringe to think about the cost of a EV F150. You can bet it's only going to be available in the highest line of trucks, and these things might be $ 6 digits in cost. I'm completely satisfied with my 2020 F150 STX 2.7 Ecoboost that's as fast as a 1965 GTO--at a $31K cost.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tatetoter View Post
    Haha. I have done my research and came to my own conclusion. With the help of many scholarly articles, over 5 years ago. Must be different universities and of course not fox news. I believe different then you. And that is okay. Electric is the way of the future, in my opinion. Maybe not this year. Maybe next, maybe in 5.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Electric may be the way of the near future. In the long term, lithium based batteries are not clean. Some other medium will be eventually developed that is much cleaner.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    ... California's pushing EV's badly. Too bad their "green" attitudes don't include sufficient electric producing facilities (windmills and solar farms) to produce enough electricity to power all the future EV's. Rolling brown outs are in that state's future.

Rolling brown outs have been in our "present" for a couple of years now.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want my flying car they said was coming.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast