User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All New Electric Ford F150 Shown Towing

Ford just published a new product video showing their New Electric F150 Towing and Climbing some very steep hills.

Looks like Ford is serious about the Electric F150 coming to market.

Video Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8bzZy5iiI
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Ford just published a new product video showing their New Electric F150 Towing and Climbing some very steep hills.

Video Link:

Yeah, towing a utility trailer, most likely with nothing inside it. Anyone know how much that type trailer might weigh?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Video Link:

They had better get serious about it. Electric is starting to make a huge presence. Peterbilt has huge plans too. They look amazing for city delivery. I was commenting today to a fellow mechanic that my ram is the last of the manual transmissions and my next truck won't even have a trans. 2 year wait on that one still.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how all this goes. I'm sure the other Boys will be dipping their toes into this market as well.
    I will be curious as to the towing range for these trucks.
    It would be interesting if you could use the solar panels on your trailers roof to charge up the truck batteries or extend your towing range.
    Fun fun fun!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day the energy density of hydrocarbons is too high compared to current batteries and a gallon of gasoline comes preloaded with energy from the dispenser, unlike a dead battery. Electric cars have been around for over a hundred years, the problem hasn't changed. Until there is a revolution in battery technology it's just not practical for a variety of use cases, certainly interstate travel with a 30 foot trailer is one of those.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    At the end of the day the energy density of hydrocarbons is too high compared to current batteries and a gallon of gasoline comes preloaded with energy from the dispenser, unlike a dead battery. Electric cars have been around for over a hundred years, the problem hasn't changed. Until there is a revolution in battery technology it's just not practical for a variety of use cases, certainly interstate travel with a 30 foot trailer is one of those.
    It's hard to compare some converted carriage with a bar for steering from a hundred years ago to a bone stock tesla that walks all over any I.C.E. powered that has ever been produced in a factory. But I understand what you are saying. The battery innovations are ongoing. But maybe we aren't looking for battery improvements. Maybe we are looking for charging improvements. Lets say towing mileage is half of unloaded miles, like a lot of I.C.E. pickups are. So maybe 250 until empty. That's almost 4 hours of driving. What if instead of it taking an hour to charge it completely it only takes 15 minutes? Or 10? Or what if they develop a truck that can charge itself in an hour unplugged? That'd help us boondocking dune-rats. A lot of what ifs but stranger things have happened. I never thought I'd see a 2.3 sec quarter mile electric car.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well regardless of personal stomach for waiting around for juice, there are no trailer friendly charging stations. Even Tesla superchargers are pull in regular parking.

There's a reason they were going to do automated battery swaps underneath the car originally. Again, the need here is for a revolution in battery tech, not just commercial viability. I also find it unlikely you're going to be able to address the electrical issues at RV parks, many of them barely have reliable electric as it is and that's before trying to charge EF-150 tow vehicles...

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not putting much stock in that at this time. That tiny little trailer with probably nothing in it, in no way resembles what most of us tow. This might work for the day contractors who just want to pull a small utility trailer to their jobsite. But for serious towing, diesel is still king and will be for the foreseeable future.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England is testing charging lanes for electric cars. Drive in one of those lanes and it will charge the batteries.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    England is testing charging lanes for electric cars. Drive in one of those lanes and it will charge the batteries.
    All you have to do is look at the difference between the DeLorean and back to the future one and back to the future too. In back to the future too after the upgrades it no longer needed plutonium. I rest my case. Haha

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast