Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabnab View Post
    A question for those that are saying 25-30% off msrp. I see Grand Design has a msrp under the build and price but the dealer i went to has a much higher msrp listed. Are you all saying 25-30% off the Grand Design msrp or the dealer msrp? I was thinking something in between but after reading some of the threads that may not be low enough. Thanks for any advice.
    If the dealer is telling you something different from what GD shows it is a lie. Only exception might be if theirs has the delivery tacked on. In that case they should be disclosing that so they can't charge that to you later and double dip on it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    As mentioned, a lot of new owners are going to loose interest in their new trailer quickly. Many over paid and financed with little down payment. Combine these two factors with a rapidly depreciating trailer, and I'm not certain there will be a lot of bargains out there.
    That is a good point. A lot of people who bought recently are probably new to RVs and ignorant of the price game. If they are smart & lucky they will get out now while the market is still (maybe) hot. As we get into winter it's going to cool off, especially in the North. And if COVID gets controlled or fades away on it's own then the pressure to get back to normal will cool the RV market even further. It's a terrible time to buy . I did sell my last one a month back and definitely got more than I had any right to, so I suppose in a way it's fair.

Anecdotally, advertised prices actually seem to have gone up slightly. Several dealers solidly into the 30s on this trailer. That's ridiculous.

If prices come down in the Spring, and you can find ANY older used trailer you can live with, I'd sure consider. Just my feeble opinion............
    I appreciate the advice. We had a perfectly good TT that I just sold because we had it long enough (four years) to decide exactly what we wanted instead. So I will at least stick to that. The 261BH really has a layout we like in several ways. Especially where they put the kitchen. Surprisingly, we also liked the 247BH more than we expected, even if it's a bit tighter due to the lack of slide. My biggest problem with it is the sofa is dreadful. We've given up on getting something that our F150 will tow, so I'm going to be getting some kind of 3/4 ton, which opens up the possibilities a bit. Still want to keep it at 30' because our favorite campground has a low limit (26' so we will already be technically violating that directive).

The 247BH also has the same upside as it's downside. No slide means less weight, less to break. Cheaper. My wife would happily go for it, but I told her I don't want to have any regrets. 261BH it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    Maybe you can find a lightly used one instead. Tough time to buy, hate to not get at least 30% because as soon as this surge is over the prices will drop again and rigs bought now at these prices are going to suffer even worse than normal depreciation. Wait 18 months and you'll be able to pick up rigs from people begging you to take it off their hands.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    That's precisely what I do. The bugs are worked out and the depreciation is absorbed by somebody else. Often the unit has been used less than a dozen times. I do avoid anything lived in, though. The one I have now was used by an older couple a reported four times before he had eye surgery and did not want to tow anymore. It was in perfect condition and even the oven hadn't been used.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If the dealer is telling you something different from what GD shows it is a lie. Only exception might be if theirs has the delivery tacked on. In that case they should be disclosing that so they can't charge that to you later and double dip on it.
    I can tell you my experience in the last week. I sold my four-year-old GD 2950RL myself in two days for $2K less than what I paid for it brand new, which alone is crazy. I have been shopping for a smaller GD 22MLE and have been quoted from two dealers about 5K over the MSRP on the GD website. Each has told me the extra is for freight when I questioned. I have been able to negotiate the price down to about $2K over the Gd site MSRP, about $3K below the dealers MSRP so far. With low inventory and plenty of buyers, I’m not in an enviable bargaining position.

I agree with what has been said about the market changing once people that impulsively bought RVs decide to dump them and that things will eventually return to pre-COVID levels with respect to pricing. I haven’t decided if I will wait or, because I got so much more than normal for my old trailer, just go for it now since the difference will probably be about the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to follow up on this post as my wife and I are currently pricing 2021 261BH's. The used market is not an option for us as the reason we want the 261BH rather than an Imagine, is the new 12V compressor fridge (no more 3 way), and the standard 165W solar and charger. Has anyone here purchased a 2021 261BH and what did your deal look like. I have had dealers laugh at me when I ask for 30%. They say that they can do that everywhere, but with GD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same thing happen to us. Tried to get 15% below MSRP on a 261BH and the dealer said that doesn't work on GD. Actually we had 3 different dealers in our state (willing to drive a few hours to get the best deal) tell us that there's not much margin on GD. We are still trying to put a deal together but currently at 31,000 out the door. Should we continue with this deal or abort? BTW we live in Washington.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAN am I glad we bought ours in late February and took delivery in early March before Covid crazy pricing kicked in.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking a few days ago with someone who bought a 247BH a year ago, pre-covid. East coast. Paid about 18K or so out the door, with hitch and all. Figured about 16K for the TT itself.

Best I've seen a 247BH for within a couple hundred miles of me is just under 24K. They'd laugh if I tried to get anywhere near 16K. But if they say GD doesn't have much margin, they're clearly full of crap, because pre-covid they were priced like any other RV.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    Maybe you can find a lightly used one instead. Tough time to buy, hate to not get at least 30% because as soon as this surge is over the prices will drop again and rigs bought now at these prices are going to suffer even worse than normal depreciation. Wait 18 months and you'll be able to pick up rigs from people begging you to take it off their hands.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Agree with Bearii, to get something in early 2021 I'd propose lightly used. We bought used 2019 Solitude this August and the prior owner had already fixed all of the normal MFR issues and gave us every accessory he owned which saved us another $7000+. We are now full-time in this RV and I'm so thankful we bought lightly used because we now knew where all the bones had been buried and the prior owner explained in detail everything he had to fix. Used may not work out so well for everyone everytime but it has been amazing for us. We also were able to transfer the platinum 5 year warranty and the manufacturer warranty so we feel secure should something new pop-up.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 01-03-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly, the best option right now is actually to do nothing. Unless you own an RV that you plan to sell in the next few years, in which case you ought to sell it yesterday.

All these newbies who came in 2020 and paid MSRP for RVs are going to reach the end of their honeymoon soon. As expected, a bunch will find out they don't use the RV as much as they thought they would, and they will want out. "Buyer's market" is a severe understatement. All of the dealers high on their own farts right now will be crashing back to earth struggling to stay solvent, offering ridiculous sales on new RVs and doing even more damage to the used market.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out; I suspect a lot of people took out loans to finance their dream. They're going to be stuck.

In any case, now is not an ideal time to buy. Assume the resale value of your purchase is zero and you won't be wrong . Even a normal 'good' deal right now on a new RV is going to be severely underwater by the end of 2021. I like to go camping, and we already sold our last RV (for not much less than we bought it in 2016, so we benefited from crazy covid market), so it's going to be tough to say no to the wife. Oh well, I'll just suck it up, I've probably lost a lot more on the various sports- and muscle cars I buy every other year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12