User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, don't feel bad everyone starts somewhere. All you need is to be able to take AC and DC voltage measurements.

I always start at the problem and work backwards towards the power source.

Find the 12 volt DC wire at the back of your fridge in the outside compartment. Your fridge owner's manual will help but you might have to study the wiring schematic a little. I bet someone on here can walk you through it if they have the same model fridge. Next make sure you have 120 volts AC at the plug, also in the back outside compartment. This will look like any standard AC receptacle. Obviously, be careful when working with AC voltage. I don't want you to get shocked, but you should be able to use you VOM leads without disassembly of the receptacle. Don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

If these readings are OK, you have internal fridge problems. If these readings are not OK, and you have no power at this point, go to your breaker panel and check the same measurements at the output of the 12 vdc fuse to the fridge and the 120 vac breaker to the fridge. These are both basic measurements and if these are all OK then it's going to get a little more complicated.
    Last edited by dryfly; 09-19-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    By control panel I assume you are referring to the panel that has all the switches for lights, electric water heater, awning, etc. For future reference where is this fuse located?
    There is a fuse slot labeled "Monitor Panel" on the 12v side of my Distribution Center (right side where ATC / ATM fuses go...). Mine got blown for some reason once when we were troubleshooting Norcold fridge issues, and several other 12v systems went down. (Thermostats, water heater...).
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When lighting the gas system always run the stove first to purge air out of the lines. The DSI is an indication that gas did not arrive in time to light the HW tank boiler.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to us. Back panel, there is a red wire that runs over to the right by the burner. There is a diode in the wire that is faulty on all of them, I guess. Cut the diode out and splice the wire back together. Will get you by until you can get to the dealer to replace the diode.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to us. Back panel, there is a red wire that runs over to the right by the burner. There is a diode in the wire that is faulty on all of them, I guess. Cut the diode out and splice the wire back together. Will get you by until you can get to the dealer to replace the diode. I have pics if you need them. But I don't know how to post them on here. (Mobile)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermal fuse

Quote Originally Posted by Rep-o-Texas View Post
    Same thing happened to us. Back panel, there is a red wire that runs over to the right by the burner. There is a diode in the wire that is faulty on all of them, I guess. Cut the diode out and splice the wire back together. Will get you by until you can get to the dealer to replace the diode.
    That’s not a diode. There is a thermal fuse inside the black insulation. I had the same problem and replaced it with one from Radio Shack. A little lower temp, but it worked like a charm. At least until I replaced it with an own part. You might be able to splice it without a thermal, but I’d be careful.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary D

The thermal fuse fixed mine as well. Access it from the outside panel. You will see a couple small nuts inside that secures a plastic cover. Take that thin cover off and it’s inside. It may blow a second fuse as mine did so buy 2-3. My #2 worked just fine and still is. It’s very small you can’t even see the filament is blown. But first Check ALL other fuses.
    FYI there is a good rv repair shop in RAPID CITY.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    That’s not a diode. There is a thermal fuse inside the black insulation. I had the same problem and replaced it with one from Radio Shack. A little lower temp, but it worked like a charm. At least until I replaced it with an own part. You might be able to splice it without a thermal, but I’d be careful.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the exact same problem. No hot water. We come home and the tech comes out to our house because we threw a fit because we had a brand new 17MKE and the power inverter went out, the fridge quit and then the water heater. The water heater will work on propane but not electric. the tech took the face cover off our control panel and there were 3 wires not clipped in like they were supposed to be. Still didn't fix the electric side of the water heater.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Just because GD seems to do a few odd things with their wiring have you checked the GFI on that circuit. But with everything you read here the fridges are good for failed circuit boards
    We have a 2020 Reflection 303 a Dometic double door fridge that guit working a few weeks ago. No light in fridge, no lights on control panel. Mine is a bad circuit board / lower controller, it is at LaMesa in Sanford to be fixed. We hope, leaving October 1 fixed or not. Here is some sad news: 1) Dometic parts, fridges and AC’s are all made in China and are almost all out of stock in USA. Most 2 - 3 month wait time. 2) our part is in stock but Dometic ships very slowly!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refer Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    I do have a VOM - just not sure where where to take measurements. I have very basic understanding of what I'm doing when it comes to electricity.
    I see lots of ideas here re non working refrigerator-We once had the actual power plug shake loose and disconnect from the plug in refer compartment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast