User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelming

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigwhtman View Post
    So last ditch effort before I kill her dream lol, what about the G class toy haulers from grand design?
    A look at GD's website shows 2 G class that might work, one a fifth wheel and the other a bumper pull. The 328G is a 5th wheel with a dry hitch weight of 2200 pounds, that's no batteries or propane tanks or generator etc. Real world will be closer to 2400-2500. You'll be close but if you have something heavy in the garage that will help. The other is the 29GO bumper pull. 12000 GVWR and 1450 dry hitch weight. Again when loaded for camping you could be close to the 1850 max hitch weight for your truck. I know it's a bummer but toy haulers really really need a 1 ton and probably a dually to be safe and comfortable towing. Good luck and don't get discouraged!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So last ditch effort before I kill her dream lol, what about the G class toy haulers from grand design?
    Sure. The travel trailer version.

Just take the GVWR of the trailer and multiply it by .2. If that’s over about 2500, for a fifth wheel, it’s too big for your truck. Have you had an RV before? Might be worth renting some to see, most people don’t buy the right one first time out. What toy do you want to put in the hauler?

Your 2500 is seriously capable for a 2500. It is not paper de-rated like they were in years past. Just a few years ago it would have had 1000# less payload on paper. Being that it is properly rated, I would ensure you stay under the listed capacities.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TT or 5th Wheel?

The lightest 5th wheel is the 328G, with a 'dry' (factory) pinweight of 2200#. Assume that will be more, at least 20% of the GVRW of the trailer you're looking at (3360# in the case of the 328G). Subtract that number from your payload of 3067# (Note the payload is <> 5th wheel tongue weight on the sticker). That's how much you will have left to carry anything else in your truck, incl. you, the wife, fuel, etc... If it's a negative number (which seems to be the case), you're over the limit. Your truck also seems to show a separate 5th wheel pinweight limit (#2775), which you'd also be over.

For a TT (bumper-pull) -G, your max tongue weight limit on the hitch is 1850#, leaving you with ~1200# for other cargo. Assuming 15% (% is different for bumper pull) of the trailer's GVWR as a max hitch weight, you may be OK with any of the -G travel trailers, with the largest (31G) having a hitch weight of 1600# (15% of 12000#, less than your hitch weight max of 1850#), and the trailer being below the max trailer weight of the truck, your payload under the limit, and the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating < the 27500# from the truck's sticker. You may need a weight distributing hitch as well, which should also be included in the cargo weight.

I'm sure if I missed something, it will be pointed out.

-Lee

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya early 2000’s I had a bumper pull TH. I’ve rented an Rv with the ol and she’s the one that fell in love with rv’ing. Really only towing my 13 HD Ultra classic.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the truck was a “smoking deal”. You should be able to resell it. Get what you need, then you are both happy.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I owe 28K now. Dealer gave me $43K for my 17 Denali 1500; so I might wait a year or so. Damn really pissed I bought the horse without knowing how big the cart was lmao. Thanks to all that chimes in.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I owe 28K now. Dealer gave me $43K for my 17 Denali 1500; so I might wait a year or so. Damn really pissed I bought the horse without knowing how big the cart was lmao. Thanks to all that chimes in.
    You are a candidate to join the 2 truck club. There are a lot of us.
    We recently migrated from a 1500 to 3500 and the ease of travel is significant.
    Best of Luck:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something important to remember. Match the truck to the trailer you wife wants. Don't scrimp on the trailer - it needs to fit you needs so you will both be happy and comfortable. Be sure you think long term. Then once you know that size the truck accordingly. Reading between the lines I suspect you will be into 1 ton dually range. I say dually as they handle a whole lot better than a SRW with that size unit. BTW - you don't say what you will be hauling in the garage. Whatever your planning, make sure it will fit. Length and tie down points are critical. Just because the garage say 12' does not mean a 12' ATV will fit. Plan ahead.

When looking take a tape measure and ask to sit in the unit for a while (say 30 minutes) Play house - pretend to cook, shower watch TV if that is your thing, check out stereo - just take your time. Don't be fooled by the glitz. Carefully look over the construction and be sure you understand all the systems and maintenance required. Be an informed buyer.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hauling me, her a ultra classic Harley and a 12lb lazy ****** dog lol. I think I’ll pay on this truck another year and this time next year get the dually.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for those that gave advice. As much as it hurt; I jumped into the big boy club. Thanks for the advice. Now to buy the 351M or bigger lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D69AB3D1-EC5D-4670-8DED-CD2037190585.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast