User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update to my previous comment. I have 120v at the hot leg of each dead outlet, with open neutral. I have disconnected everything in the slide by pulling the hot and neutral wires out of the fridge outlet outside the trailer in the fridge compartment. With the slide disconnected (Microwave is on a different circuit) I still have an open neutral. From the fridge compartment I believe the circuit goes into the slide harness below and up thru the frame, finally thru the underbelly of the trailer and into the breaker box. How do I get into the underbelly and can anyone think of anything else? I suppose I could prove my theory by disconnecting the fridge circuit at the breaker, running a new wire from the fridge circuit outside the trailer to the fridge outlet.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryc56 View Post
    Update to my previous comment. I have 120v at the hot leg of each dead outlet, with open neutral. I have disconnected everything in the slide by pulling the hot and neutral wires out of the fridge outlet outside the trailer in the fridge compartment. With the slide disconnected (Microwave is on a different circuit) I still have an open neutral. From the fridge compartment I believe the circuit goes into the slide harness below and up thru the frame, finally thru the underbelly of the trailer and into the breaker box. How do I get into the underbelly and can anyone think of anything else? I suppose I could prove my theory by disconnecting the fridge circuit at the breaker, running a new wire from the fridge circuit outside the trailer to the fridge outlet.
    Have you verified the source of the power is good with your outlet tester, and done a continuity check on the dog bone adapter?

Does everything have the same problems when hooked up to 50A power?

As far as the underbelly, there are numerous screws along the frame rails holding the coroplast in place (3/8 or 5/16 socket will remove them, i dont recall which size they are). It's best if you just drop as little as possible, it makes putting it up easier. Also, keep in mind there will be insulation directly on top of the coroplast. You will probably also see a mess of wires and you will be less than thrilled on the lack of standards for running wires in these things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 09-19-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the flexible cables in case of a pinch by the slide.
    Like: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post318051
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene, that is my next attempt at finding the open neutral. I literally have no continuity from the neutral in this circuit to the neutral bar in the breaker box, so it's disconnected or broken somewhere.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago one of my Molex SCPC connectors wasn't fully snapped closed b/c the wires weren't laid down in the connector body correctly.
    The Neutral was just making contact with the insulation displacement contact (IDC).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romex to Flexible Cord Connector 3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	29618

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romex to Flexible - Loose Neutral.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	29619
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened up the underbelly panel and i found the molex for the slide circuit in question. I took it apart and temporarily wire nutted the wires together. Still the same problem. The flexible wires in the slide itself have good continuity. This circuit disappears somewhere into the belly of the beast. I need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot this any further. I did notice that in addition to the black wire being hot (has 120v) and that there is still an open neutral, hot (black) is dead shorted to white (neutral). I disconnected the wires at the breaker panel for this fridge circuit and found the same. Dead short hot to neutral.
    Last edited by Harryc56; 09-19-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryc56 View Post
    I opened up the underbelly panel and i found the molex for the slide circuit in question. I took it apart and temporarily wire nutted the wires together. Still the same problem. The flexible wires in the slide itself have good continuity. This circuit disappears somewhere into the belly of the beast. I need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot this any further. I did notice that in addition to the black wire being hot (has 120v) and that there is still an open neutral, hot (black) is dead shorted to white (neutral). I disconnected the wires at the breaker panel for this fridge circuit and found the same. Dead short hot to neutral.
    You can try to call GD for a diagram, have your VIN available. It's hit or miss if they will provide one, but worth asking. Otherwise, you'll need to try to go from the breaker box and start searching downstream. Keep in mind the fridge breaker probably powers other outlets as you've seen, so it's possible your opposite slide outlets, if you have any are also off that same breaker. I know my fridge breaker powers much more than the fridge. If you cant figure it out, might be easier to just run that new wire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. So in my 395M I tested every outlet in the unit. The only dead outlets are in the kitchen slide...all others work. So I agree the issue is between the slide and the breaker. Unfortunately those 2 are on opposite sides of the trailer, so I am forced to remove the entire front part of the underbelly.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed today. I ran a brand new circuit from the breaker box to the kitchen slide. Not a trivial task if anyone sees this down the road. I had to drop half the underbelly coroplast covering. Tip to get it back up...use jacks, 5 gallon bucket on top of that, and long pieces of 2x6 to hold it up while you screw it back in place. I never did find the cause for the open neutral. Doesn't matter now...the old circuit is still working as it should and is capped off at the kitchen slide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12